Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Dark gdk?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2007 17:55
What is really dark gdk and what can I use it for?

[href]http://www.nettklikk.no/cgi-bin/payperclick/clickthru.cgi?id=matsjakobsen92 [/href]
Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2007 18:01
It's basically all (most) of the DBP commands for C++. It means it will run much faster, and you get to use some more advanced concepts that C++ offers, but DBPro doesnt.

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2007 18:21
lets not forget theres a .NET version for use with C# and VB.NET and it supports a ton of free and paid IDE's for .net

My DBP plugins page is now hosted [href]here[/href]
Maxi Studio
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2007 18:27
Quote: " .NET version for use with C# and VB.NET "
So you mean its possible to make games with the GDK in visual basic?

[href]http://www.nettklikk.no/cgi-bin/payperclick/clickthru.cgi?id=matsjakobsen92 [/href]
Maxi Studio
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2007 19:28
One more question:
Will you recomand me to buy it if im not a very good dark basic user?

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2007 22:31
Quote: "So you mean its possible to make games with the GDK in visual basic?"

VB.NET Absolutely! I code in Visual Studio 2005 Pro with DGDK.NET for VB.NET

Quote: "Will you recomand me to buy it if im not a very good dark basic user?"

I would recommend the dgdk.net to you if you are a .net coder already. If you are a novice coder with no .net or oop coding experience, you might want to learn dbp first if you already own it (or the demo). But if asked what I think is the more powerful platform then it have to be any of the DGK versions + OOP, as opposed to DBP Procedural Basic, hands down.
You could always download the VB.NET Express free kit and see if you like vb.net and oop, unfortunately theres no trial version of dgdk.net. So you'd have to mess around with making apps to get a hold of coding in .net/oop.

Maxi Studio
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2007 12:39 Edited at: 6th Jul 2007 12:40
Quote: "I would recommend the dgdk.net to you if you are a .net coder already."
Yeah I am.
Quote: "you might want to learn dbp first if you already own it"

Dark Basic is sooooo difficoult
But, thanks for the help

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2007 15:04
well if you code in vb.net already then 1/2 the battle is won, I'd go for the dgdk.net for sure then

Red Ocktober
Years of Service
User Offline
if you're really finding DB that difficult now, then i wouldn't suggest that you move to either the GDK, or the GDK.net...

there are many aspects of developing with it that are not really not that straightforward and you should have some knowledge of one of the .net languages and it's dev environment before you jump into the GDK...

--Mike
Maxi Studio
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2007 11:28
So the GDK is worth the price?

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2007 16:23
I have to say yes.

I bought the C++ version - for speed reasons - but I'm not even a C++ coder - so I'm hitting learning curve there big time - BUT - all the DarkGDK functions do what dbPro does without the unruly "language semantics" of DBPro.

In .Net - there are advantages - as many seem to code in it worldwide - and is therefore highly supported - and writing .NET VB or C#, or whatever should all be possible.

For myself - regardless of the C++ learning curve - I'm happy because the code I have written - seems to run awfully fast - (Except in debugger mode naturally) - and I like coding this close to the processor.

I don't need to learn everything about microsoft's API's - though they help if neceaary, I can concentrqate on the C++ language itself - make my own set of routines geared for gaming - and pull the power of DirectX very easily via DarkGDK. Writing a decent DirectX in C++ or .Net requires MANY calls - and doesn't not have all the file formats supported natively - that DarkGDK/DBPro bring to the table.

So - 60 bucks - if it keeps you occupied for hours on end - yeah - its worth it.

Jason P Sage

Know way too many languages - Master of none
Maxi Studio
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2007 16:25
Thaks all guys
One more question.....
When i install the GDK will it be a "3d rendering window" in vb.net?

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2007 16:35
In my C++ it is by default. But there are two commands dbWindowOff() (Makes it full screen) and dbWindowOn() (sets it back to the default windowed mode)

Know way too many languages - Master of none
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2007 17:12
yes the db_ engine provides the rendering surface itself, you are running out of a module from Sub Main(). But like he said above you can go full screen if you like, or run out of a Form with the db_ window embedded in a control container - all sorts of options available to you when using the dgdk versions of db_

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 01:15:01
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 01:15:01