Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Tower defense - Download full game!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2007 17:51 Edited at: 13th Jul 2007 11:03
If you've never heard of Tower defense, here's how it works:

You own a castle, and invaders are trying to capture it. Every invader that gets into your castle causes you to lose a life. They travel to your castle along pre-defined paths. You must build towers along the path to destroy the invaders before they reach the castle. There are four types of tower: Fire, Water, Earth and Air. Each one has its own advantages and disadvantages. (Such as price, range, reload time and damage). These shoot out bullets at nearby invaders, lowering their health. You can also upgrade existing towers, making them better at killing the invaders. Invaders come in waves, with eight invaders to a wave. Each new wave is more powerful than the wave before, and they start at ten second intervals. You must keep upgrading your towers so that they can kill them. Every invader that dies gives you more money proportional to that invaders power.

And now for a screenshot:

Click HERE to download latest version!

Instructions for designing levels:
Type a box of some of the following characters in a .txt document. The level will become the same size as the box.
o = Path of invaders. They can connect in any way.
# = Blank. Player can build towers here.
* = Invader spawn point. (Only one!)
$ = Castle (As many as you like!)
- = Restricted. Player can't build towers here!

An example level is included in the download. To play a custom level, rename the custom level to Level.txt

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Milkman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2007 21:25 Edited at: 8th Jul 2007 21:26
This is awesome! I love this game. I have to say that you did a great job. I think some more information about towers' stats would be nice as well as the ability to upgrade without having to click on the tower each time, though. Overall, you did a great job! I like how the enemy fades to gray when he is dying and how the screen fades to red when you are dying. Also, the customizable maps are cool.

Who needs a signature?

Attachments

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2007 21:43 Edited at: 8th Jul 2007 21:47
I will add more stats Thanks, and wow, do you have a lot of towers!

Here is some extra information about the different towers:

Elements:
Fire - Medium price, Medium/high damage, medium reload, medium range.
Water - Low price, Medium damage, medium reload, medium range.
Earth - Medium price, High damage, slow reload, short range.
Air - High price, Low damage, fast reload, long range.

Upgrade order:

edit:
If anyone gets a tower with a black background (48th upgrade) please post a picture, and I'll be amazed!

PS
Anyone like my new sig? I made it myself

Xlaydos
Years of Service
User Offline
lol at "Heavy"
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2007 23:49 Edited at: 8th Jul 2007 23:49
I have very nearly finished the update, but anyway, here's another screeny
I call it: "UH OH!"

Attachments

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2007 00:24 Edited at: 9th Jul 2007 00:29
Here's the update, you can now specify the difficulty level (Look in Level.txt), and it shows loads of info. Also, I removed all the sqrt()'s to speed it up a bit

Click HERE to get it!

Information:
If the first line the Level.txt begins: Difficulty=<number> then this will be used as the difficulty level. If not, it is treated as before and defaulted to 20.

Divider is the relationship between enemy health and money gained. If it is 20, and you kill an enemy, you will get 20x less money that the enemy's starting health. If it is set to 2, you get half as much money as the enemy's starting health, etc.

Attachments

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2007 01:25
Nicely done I say. I'm sorry I don't have any constructive criticism, I happen to suck at giving that.

Tempest (DBP/DBCe)
Multisync V1 (DBP/DBCe)
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2007 05:19
Wow, fun one. I enjoyed the game a lot, don't really have anything useful to say except that I'd love to see some descriptions of for example which round I'm playing and tower descriptions ingame.

tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2007 05:56
This is a really cool version of tower defense. Did you do it with no media? That would be very impressive.

A couple suggestions:
- Show what the next upgrade will bring statistically (next to current level)
- Once a tower is selected let a right-click (or a second left click) upgrade it
- Give the player a few lives every 10 waves or so

Is the Level.txt that comes with it indicative of the balance you are looking for? I've found it ass-hard and can't get past 44 or so no matter which strategy I try. I haven't tried them all, but it's not looking good.

How do you do at it, being the creator and all?

So nice job!!

I'm not a real programmer but I play one with DBPro!
Milkman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2007 06:12 Edited at: 9th Jul 2007 06:13
Quote: "If anyone gets a tower with a black background (48th upgrade) please post a picture, and I'll be amazed!"

I did cheat because there is no exit, but it's still cool.

Who needs a signature?

Attachments

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2007 13:36
Intresting game Diggsey.

Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2007 13:59 Edited at: 9th Jul 2007 15:48
Lol.... that's hard. I wasn't fast enough in clicking so I lost. I couldn't upgrade my towers that far!
Really, I am so tired of this thousands of clicks now... and than you told me at the end "So much money, you should have spent it!" -.- Aaaaaaaaaaah. ^^ By the way.. I tried to reach the highest level with the 4 middle-towers.. but there is none, right?

Great game though.

Edit: Image was a bit big.. here a smaller version.

Edit2: Yes, your signature is great. Did you make it with.. pivot? ^^

Edit³: OK, with update the clicking was a bit easier.. but I think my mouse is now broken though.

Visit the DBPro - Speed up your game-Thread. http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=88661&b=1
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2007 19:37
@tha_rami
The game already has descriptions of both those things! The wave value is the round number, and selecting a tower shows lots of info about it in the bottom right, in light blue.

@tiresius, good suggestions, but I might not implement the second one. (In the latest version there isn't much need)
I usually get to around wave 63 in the example one. It is supposed to be impossible, because it is more of a 'how long can you last' type game, than a 'die when you get bored of clicking' sort of game
In the latest version, you can set the difficulty, so it is entirely up to you how you want to play it

Anyway, you will see two of your ideas in the next update

@Milkman
Cool
Next time, I'd advise using ArtMoney or something similar, it's much faster than waiting for hours to get enough money!

@Prince of darkness
I'll take that as a complement...

@Mr Kohlenstoff
Thanks, and I daresay you did a tad bit of cheating too

tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2007 20:35
Hi Diggsey!

So which two suggestions will be taken? I hope the first two with the "more info" and the "easy upgrade click" method. Because it is quite a bit of work to select a tower and upgrade it, especially later on when you need to upgrade faster and faster. The extra lives thing is fine, but making it easier for the player to upgrade towers would be nice.

And I've seen the issue of it getting very hard at a specific point in other tower defense games. I think it has to do with the mathematical approach of increasing the enemy's strength. One game I played level 120 seemed to get impossibly hard no matter how I played. In this game it seems to be level 40.

I feel like the game should be playable for a very long time if you don't make many/any mistakes. Like Tetris. It's not impossibly hard at the highest level unless you start making mistakes...then you pay for them. But that's just my opinion.

I really like this game and I will be looking forward to any updates.

Oh one last suggestion is to maybe place the different towers and their values (cost,range,damage,etc) in a table on the screen, so you can reference it. I have it written down on paper to keep an eye on it but might be nice to see in-game.

I'm not a real programmer but I play one with DBPro!
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2007 21:04 Edited at: 9th Jul 2007 21:07
I was going to do the first, and third of your ideas. If you have the latest version, it is MUCH easier to upgrade towers anyway. (It doesn't deselect them like it did in the first version

I will add the second as well anyway, as I thought of a way to do it withought 'accidental' upgrades

edit:
As I said, you can make the level as difficult/easy as you want by changing the 'divider' value in Level.txt
When set to a small value, it is easy to keep up with the increasing power of the invaders

Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2007 23:49
Hey, I didn't cheat.
My friend got to level 410 without cheating. We both played tower defense-maps in warcraft 3 for years!

Visit the DBPro - Speed up your game-Thread. http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=88661&b=1
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2007 00:49
Is that the default level, at the default difficulty? If so, then that is unbeleivable

All I can say is... WOW!

I will probably get the next update out tomorrow

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2007 13:33 Edited at: 10th Jul 2007 13:34
UPDATE!!!

You can now:

Click on selected towers to upgrade them
Click on selected empty cells to build the last used tower
See what benefits the next upgrade will bring you
Optionally set 'n' lives to spawn after every 'n'th wave

As well as all the existing stuff.
You can look in the new Level.txt to see examples of the fourth one.
If the level.txt does not set any lives to be spawned, or how often, the game assumes no lives will be spawned throughout the game

Click HERE to download!

Attachments

Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2007 23:29
Very nice.. got exactly as far as my friend now.

Some feature requests for the next update...

1. Timerbased movement of enemies and bullets (as soon as I have a high amount of towers (lets say more than 50) the game slows down, especially if a tower is selected, and it's big red circle is drawn.. the enemies and bullets are slower then, but the enemie-spawns are timerbased, so more enemies are spawning than I am able to kill (-> on a faster computer I would have better chances))
2. If you e.g. press CTRL+Upgrade tower, all your money is spent to upgrade this tower. Because I still can not click that fast.

Don't know more at the moment.. but maybe it would be good if the towers don't select the nearest enemy as target, but a random one in their range, that would make it also easier to survive longer. xD

Good job so far. Looking forward to the next update.

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2007 23:34
I agree about random targets. One of the things I've always found annoying about Tower Defense is that the turrets are usually stupid, and fire at the wrong enemies.

Tempest (DBP/DBCe)
Multisync V1 (DBP/DBCe)
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2007 00:54
Timer based movement is near impossible due to the way it works at the moment, but I will change the spawn delay to a number of loops rather than seconds. Also, I will do something about the clicking too (not sure what yet)

Also, I will set turret AI as one of the level options that can be chosen in level.txt (I will have predefined types).

The next update's ETA: Tomorrow!

Thanks for all the comments/constructive criticism

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2007 15:54
Hey i love tower defence.. Will try it now

Btw. Is your sing made in pivot?

[B] - LINKIN PARK - [/B]
draknir_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2007 19:13 Edited at: 11th Jul 2007 19:14
how on earth do you guys get to such high levels I couldnt get past wave 42 lol.

diggsey:

awesome game! can you add an option for a full/bigger screen?
Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2007 23:48
Hehe.

1. I think earth towers are the best, at the beginning you should also build fire towers, because of their range, but later just earth...

2. At first just upgrade everything up to level ~22, so that the shoot-delay is at 2 ms, the following upgrades aren't really worth their costs as long as you don't have much money.

3. Build your towers as near to the spawnpoint as possible, because the longer the distance from the tower to the enemy is, the more time the tower's bullet is flying through the air, and the tower can react later, if the enemy's dead.

4. At least if your computer is as bad as mine. Just select units when neccessary, because that slows the whole game down, and that makes it harder to kill the enemies in time (as I already mentioned, they spawn timerbased, but everything moves slower then).

It's always the best to have all your towers more or less on the same level, because the costs are divided best then.

I'll give a cookie to the first one who reaches wave 500.

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2007 00:52
Sorry everybody, for not uploading the update sooner. My internet has been down for a few days. I will post it in the morning.

@Roxas
Yes, thanks

@draknir_
The map will be the same size as the level in the Level.txt file. You can make it any size you want

@Mr Kohlenstoff
I have fixed the problem with it being partially timer based. It now uses 'ticks' rather than seconds, so it will be exactly the same difficulty on all computers.

@Everyone
The update has loads of cool new features, I'll explain them when I upload it

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2007 11:01 Edited at: 13th Jul 2007 11:10
Here's the update!

New features:
It's not easier on faster computers.
You can update a tower as much as possible, by ctrl+clicking the upgrade option, or ctrl+clicking it, when it's selected.
If the selected square is blank, and you ctrl+click it, it builds the last used tower, and upgrades it as much as possible.
Selecting one square, and then shift+clicking another square will update all the squares in the rectangle produced by the two squares. It will flash green to show you.
If you do the same thing, but while holding ctrl as well, each tower in the rectangle will be updated in the rectangle as much as possible, starting at the first selected square and working across the rows to the second.

Get the update HERE.

One feature not yet done, is the different AI types. First, I need a list of suggestions for AI's to implement.

The current AI shoots at the nearest enemy.
One I will add is to shoot at the first enemy.

Those are simple ones, in case of complicated ones, please say what rules should be used to decide which enemy to shoot at...

Attachments

Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2007 00:01
Very nice. Especially the group-upgrades, thats a brilliant feature. Makes all the tower-management a lot easier now! The game is really addictive, I'll try to get a new highscore tomorrow.

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2007 00:24
Very cool game It'd be cool if the enemies had a face or something. Still, nice Tower Defense

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2007 01:21
@Mr Kohlenstoff

Great idea! Highscores table!

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2007 01:31
Heres My Story!

Played it happily until faced the lagg

[B] - LINKIN PARK - [/B]
JMS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2007 04:20
Very, very good game. I love Tower Defense games for Warcraft III. Three things:
1. I noticed that if I have a tower selected, everything slows down, and I have a very fast computer, so this shouldn't be happening.
2. Turn up the resolution. A game this good needs to be running at a high resolution.
3. The graphics leave much to be desired. I would be very interested in making some sprites for you if you would like, just tell me the dimensions of your objects.
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2007 14:28 Edited at: 22nd Jul 2007 14:36
@Roxas and JMS
The lag is due to the d3d plugin, which seems to draw translucent circles very slowly.

@JMS
It already runs at 1024x768... Using a higher resolution would lessen compatibility with other computers. I might add an option to set the resolution though.

Also, because this game started out as a quick project just to actually finish something, it has all been media-less up until now.
I would appreciate it very much if you made images for me! If you do, this is what I suggest:

One enemy image, which will be faded out, or faded to a specific colour (you choose) as the enemy loses health.
One image for each type of base tile. (Blank, closed, track (15 types), start, end)
One image for each type of bullet (fire, water, air, earth)
100x varieties of fire tower images (for the different upgrades).
100x varieties of water tower images (for the different upgrades).
100x varieties of air tower images (for the different upgrades).
100x varieties of earth tower images (for the different upgrades).

All images should be 20x20x32.
It should be easy to tell which tower is upgraded most, by looking at its image.
400 images are a lot, so it might be a good idea to use some sort of batch program or script for the different upgrades.
The last upgrade of each tower, should be some kind of super tower, as all future upgrades will retain its image.

JMS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2007 21:45 Edited at: 26th Jul 2007 05:54
I will start working on this project as soon as possible.

Quote: "One enemy image, which will be faded out, or faded to a specific colour (you choose) as the enemy loses health."

Are the images faded using code or is the sprite replaced with a transparent version. If the sprite is replaced, at what different settings of transparency would you like, ie. 90%, 80% etc...?
Quote: "One image for each type of base tile. (Blank, closed, track (15 types), start, end)"

For the track, when you say 15 types, I am not sure what you mean. From what I could tell the track could be made using only 6 variations of tiles.
Quote: "100x varieties of each tower images (for the different upgrades)."

Would you still like me to represent each tower upgrade with different shapes of cannons, or would you like me to do something with numbers?
Quote: "All images should be 20x20x32."

Thats a bit small for my tastes, but that shouldn't be a problem.

I don't claim to be an amazing spriter, but I can guarantee that what I create will look better than the current graphics. Also, unfortunately I am on vacation right now and won't be back to my computer for about a week, and I can't say how long it will take to create all of the sprites, but I promise that they will be done as soon as I can finish them.
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2007 02:27
You guys are planing on adding media? That would be so awesome. Adding music and sound would enrich it even more .

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2007 11:49 Edited at: 25th Jul 2007 11:56
@JMS
The enemies will be faded out using set sprite alpha. You only need one image. (But you could do a few if you feel up to doing an animation)

The track does not have to be one long line, it can have joins etc.
Here are the 15 types:

For the towers, maybe have a different tower image every five/ten upgrades, and in between, have a points system. This would mean you only have to make 19/24 sprites for each tower. (9 tower images + 9 overlay point images + 1 final upgrade tower image) or (19 tower images + 4 overlay point images + 1 final upgrade tower image)

@Sixty Squares
Thank JMS

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2007 12:39
and for that transparent circle drawing issue you could use sprite too. Make transparent circle in some painting tool. Make it as biggest circle what your game can hold. Then just scale it in game.

[center]
DarkBIBLE Wikipedia for TGC Users!
JMS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2007 05:53
@Diggsey
I have been planning/thinking about how I am going to go about the project, and although I could do 20x20x32 tiles, I would recommend using 32x32x32 tiles. I don't know if that would cause you too much work, but if the tiles were that size I think that they would be alot better. Up to you, just let me know, it's your project .
Code Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2007 20:21 Edited at: 29th Jul 2007 22:24
I love this game! You did a very good job, I think I found a new favorite computer game. You should turn this into a commercial program, make lots of levels and sell it to make a million bucks.

I think it needs a pause feature and to run faster, it's quite slow when I have lots of towers.

This sig has been viewed times.

Attachments

Foe7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2007 02:55 Edited at: 30th Jul 2007 03:07
Mr. K, where's dat cookie?:

now don't go saying i cheated...i didn't...it took me about 3 and a half hours, and i'm still going strong

i don't think i've lost a life yet... hope not.

-F7

[EDIT]

Well, it's still going...i don't think it's possible to loose with the default settings, but maybe i'm just that good...(or cocky, or something).

This was a great invention. I remember the first days of Wintermaul on WC3...and even some of the TD's on starcraft.

Some ideas for future releases:

1) to help increase speed, cap the range at a point so that the top left square, at max range, has the circle circumscribe the bottom right corner of the square.

2) put the whole top-left side on a seperate bitmap, and then crop it so that the range circles aren't visible outside of the grid.

3) add super-weapons

4) add the ability to delete or sell towers

5) balance them a bit more...end game, you only need earth towers, and beginning game, if you have a ton of air towers, you do alright.

Attachments

Code Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2007 17:34 Edited at: 30th Jul 2007 17:34
Also having it auto-configure for the highest resolution would be nice. I'm using a 1440x900 screen and it's very stretched. I think you need the enchanments pack to do that, or use APIs. I hate APIs.

I've been having fun with hex editors lately, next I'm going to try to give myself extra money.

This sig has been viewed times.

Attachments

Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2007 15:53
Back from holidays, here's a google-cookie for you.

I hope you like it.

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2007 00:07 Edited at: 2nd Aug 2007 00:07
MMMMM, Yummy. Tasted a little odd though.
Was that brown sticky stuff really chocolate...

Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2007 18:08
Awesome game man, I'm loving it.

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2007 22:24
draknir_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2007 18:03
cool game definately, but i managed this:

by leaving the game on overnight.. 2 hours of actual playtime followed by 7 hours of idling, and then i monitored it for another 2 hours before it finally died o_O
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2007 19:03
4 hours!!!
You have one loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong attention span!

Code Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2007 23:33
That's a lot of money. When I have lots I click and drag a box over the ENTIRE SCREEN and upgrade all the towers. There's so many boulders it's laggy.

@Diggsey

Just wondering if you got my email

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2007 00:16
I just got your email, but I don't know when I will be able to update my site
Your site's colour scheme is a LOT better, lol!

Code Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2007 23:20
Quote: "I just got your email, but I don't know when I will be able to update my site"

You might want to watch out what freewebs has been doing... My grandma thought I was up to something when she found your site in the IE cache, because when she visited it freewebs spewed out pictures and ads saying "Chat with cute girls free!"

Quote: "Quote: "he probably thought you meant you thought"
NOO!! MY BRAIN IT EXPL"

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 10:12:05
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 10:12:05