Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / WIP Lightmap generator

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2003 15:27
Oh, and did I tell you you can't have double sided polies, because that won't work. And BTW I miss some textures, at least some or not working.
Making such a scene for my fragile lightmap generator is just asking for trouble .

Anyway, to get you going, for a really low res test render, you should set the units per pixel value to 25. If you want it more detailed for the last render, I suggest you use 15. And put the threshold to 2.5 and then it should work.

Kevil

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2003 21:19
yeah... well it is odd why it takes so long to load, i'm sure it shouldn't.
The problem i was actually having earlier was that my level was normally rotated but the sides were 90° on thier side lol
atleast with a level this complex you can really test the generator properly. I leveled it off at 5,400 faces and non are backfaces

if i ever get back to it, i'll be setting up the detail one heck of alot better - probably design some areas greatly different and have more of a level, i mean most of the actual polygons come from the medical scanner machines which should really be just models.

I pride myself that i don't kill...
well not without a good reason
kevil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2003 23:29
Conclusion: It doesn't work very well with small details :-s .
This is how I got it to look. I will work on it to make it look better in future versions.

Kevil

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2003 00:44
hey you know what would be cool ... adding a vertex baker
i mean create the shadowmaps and then edit the vertex colours in the model to match the colour of the lightmap - that might add alot of depth without needing to export an extra lightmap.

just an idea

Eddie Gordo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2003 00:55
release it...damnit...er...plz

In our hearts and minds we keep the powers of love, hope and the hidden powers of evil in which we can mold a hero or daemon of ourselves-Book of Enoch Chapter III
kevil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2003 01:03
Hmmm, it seems I have the same problem on another model. I don't understand what's wrong. But I get the feeling DBPro is bugging me. That's because when I look closely at the lightmap object, it seems to randomly jump around when I move the camera. That's giving me the problems. But it only seems to do that with high poly models. That means I can't release it yet, I need to investigate it. I will release it soon though, with the problem still in it probably, but so you can try it yourself.

Raven: That would work for small details . But not for big polies.

Kevil

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2003 07:42
Vertex Colours + Lightmap = Vertex Baking
teehee

kevil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2003 00:28
Ok, I found the problem with (probably) both the scenes. It seems that you have to position the object at the position 0,0,0. If you don't do that, the overlay object screws up. No clue why, but it does. That means that the scene must be one object (no limbs). Therefor you will probably also need a single texture for the scene. (Can somebody confirm that for me, I don't know if that's true) If you do that then it should work.
I'm still looking for ways that you don't need to put everything in one object and one texture, but I don't think I will come up with a solution before I release the beta.

So Raven, could you maybe try that and send it again? If it works that would be really cool .

Kevil

Solidz Snake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2003 01:38
*sniff*
kevil, i sent u an email.. maybe u're too busy to reply.. *sniff*

Snake? What happened? Snake? Snaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake!!! - Colonel Roy Campbell

kevil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2003 02:21
Ow, sorry. I totally missed it. Will take a look .

Kevil

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2003 21:18
Quote: "So Raven, could you maybe try that and send it again? If it works that would be really cool"

lol... wish i had the time, i could send you the max file later if you want (or 3ds whatever is more useful to you) i dunno it'd just be a job'n'a'half to get it all working with a single texture & mesh

kevil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2003 23:00 Edited at: 21st Jun 2003 23:02
Ow wait. I have a solution for multiple objects. You can just set the pivot of all the objects at 0,0,0 and that will do the trick for multiple objects . But I noticed your texture also screwed up a bit, so maybe it's better if you just send me the .max file.

Kevil

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2003 06:26
oki i'll email it later tonite got some things to do first

medwayman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2003 06:59
That’s great work Kevil. A very impressive piece of work. I look forward to giving it a whirl.

Asteroids name: Snaggletooth

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 09:11:55
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 09:11:55