Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Soul Defender test release

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2003 03:58
You can download the latest test version of a simple game I'm making.

The idea is to run around saving souls before they get destroyed. Really since this is my first project it is a testing ground for learning to program 3d for me, but I dont think the game is turning out too bad at all.

I'd say the whole concept is about 50% implemented. Just want some comments on the feel and technicals of the game are right now. Also system performance and stuff.

Download it here: http://www.handicrapped.com/souldef-089.zip
Read the readme!
Guruchild
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2003 00:19
No one tried it?

Chenak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2003 01:59
I thought it was pretty good . It was really hard though, but that might just be me .

Once you start down the Dark Path, forever will it dominate your destiny...
Guruchild
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2003 03:29
Right now it's supposed to be pretty hard

Gonna change up the way things are done a bit, working on it right now actually. Before I take the leap towards adding enemies like demons and stuff that come out of the ground I decided to add orbs at the corners and have them fire upon you. You'll lose energy when you get hit, not just when you lose a soul.

Thanks for trying it!

MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2003 03:39
Ran very well on my system

1.6ghz
radeon 8500

Yes it is very hard, but addicting.

(Current)-Game entering concept art stages-
(progress)-Should have demo in 6 months latest-
(misc.)-Started modeling buildings and other objects-
LoKiDeCaT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2003 04:42 Edited at: 2nd Jun 2003 04:43
Odd game. As said, it begins on a too difficult of a setting. I'd like it to start out slower and gain momentum. Have it get more challenging as you go. To make it that fast right away makes it unfun. It's literally impossible to play if you get too far up the ramp.

It ran real fast, locked at 60fps (see sig for stats).

The lighting was nice. The ambiance (thunder and lightening) was a nice touch. The scream cracked me up.

Played for a few minutes, got kinda repetitive.. some variations would be neat (maybe a powerup of sorts)..

All in all, nice go-at-it.

edit: also the footprint (10mb) is a bit large for a game like this. Is it the music file? What's making the EXE so large?

Loki D'Cat - Modeller, Composer, Animator
Nerdsoft Creations
Machine Specs: Athlon XP1800+, ATi Radeon 8500 64mb, 1GB RAM, Windows 2000 AdvSvr
Guruchild
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2003 09:57
Hey, thanks for trying it and giving me some feedback, I REALLY appreciate it.

Without music the EXE would be about 3 megs. I felt it added so much to the game having that one piece in there though.

UberTuba
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2003 17:06
zip or rar it!

Life is a terminal disease.
You never survive it.
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2003 21:20
thats a pretty innovative little game for some reason i was thinking, what if when you die, god makes u play that game to see how many souls you can save, if you pass the game you go to heaven and if you fail to hell kinda odd i know!

anyways i give the game two thumbs up had some speed issues but my computers crap, you could make it a little easier and progress to hard afterwards.

to live is to suffer, to survive, well, thats to find meaning in the sufferening.....
Cras
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2003 17:26
well hexgear that just shows that you have some serious issues

uk.geocities.com/maniacimagine check it out. ill soon be formally opening it.
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2003 19:49
yeah i know

to live is to suffer, to survive, well, thats to find meaning in the sufferening.....
Guruchild
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2003 20:11
darkfluff- notice the url to the file in my first post. It IS zipped.

Guruchild
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2003 05:09
Ok guys I'm stuck now. After progressing with the development some, I'm completely out of ideas. At first I was seeing what I was accomplishing and going WOW this cool, and I was amazed at simply having created what could technically be called a game. Now I'm scratching my head. I think I got a good idea here, standing at the gateway between life and afterlife, at the end of the tunnel of light, catching otherwise damned souls to send to heaven, but what now? I'm stuck with questions like ok how did i get here? What's MY role? What can I add to this?

I've thought about adding a stairway back to life, a tunnel from heaven, but nothing sounds good. I just dont know what to do with the idea now and I'm frustrated. Any help from those who tested the version? If you didn't try it, the link to download the game is http://www.handicrapped.com/souldef-089.zip

Thanks a bunch!

hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2003 15:22
Ok, i've got a lot of time on my hands so here's my suggestion

story:

There's god, the devil, angels, demons and the soul assemblers or whatever. Soul assemblers where mortals destined for hell and given this role as thier last means of redemption, if they saved enough souls they'd be admitted into heaven and vice versa. The more stages you complete the further up the stairway to heaven you go (like u suggested).

gameplay:

basically the way it is now, since the devil wants more souls (including yours) he's gonna try to make it harder for you as you progress through the game. you could have a range of different types of souls from the innoscent (blue, slow moving) to the guilty (red, fast moving). You could have more complex terrains that involve jumping and dodging obstacles and holes in the ground, your final stage could even be in hell (like in diablo 2) complete with lava etc. Hey, you could even have demon minions running around with you trying to get the souls for themselves

would be cool if you added some greek mythology so you could have those three witches with the thread of life, so everytime they cut a thread of life, a soul appears through that portal thingy (like in disney's hercules) would really help the visuals since you'd have loads of stuff to draw.

Guruchild
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2003 16:48
Great suggestions. Between my gf and you I think I've got plenty to go on now. Thanks a bunch, you both have a spot in the credits now

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 13:43:30
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 13:43:30