Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / irrlicht and dgdk?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
i kept on bumping with this engine called "irrlicht" in the past and saw the demos and they look fantastic! Is there a way to implement the rendering qualities of this engine within the dgdk code?
unitech
Years of Service
User Offline
I use both engines, GDK should blow irrlicht a way. Anything you want done with GDK use a shader. Personally I find their internal rendering poor. Example bump mapping is buggy as heck. But with the many shaders out there it's perfect. What look specifically are you after?
i cant believe its not fabio
Years of Service
User Offline
Well i got this idea of an top-down game in the style of Fallout but done in 3D with textures that simulate 2D art, but with real shadows and possibly reflections, just to add a slight of realism.

Also i'd like to make bump maps optional, perhaps with a swith or a shortcut key to turn bump maps on or off so i can play the game also on my laptop

To give you a better idea... think of the Fallout 3 demo released by Interplay before it went financially down the drain... that's close enough to what i want to achieve... but more "painted-like".

From what you say thou it might be worth it for me to just learn DGDK better and take advantage of all its capabilities instead of looking for shortcuts... lazy me! lol :-P
Red Ocktober
Years of Service
User Offline
yeah... choose one renderer or the other... both are decent, but seeing as you already know DBPro, and that the GDK is almost a one for one analogy, the choice should be obvious...

good luck...

--Mike
unitech
Years of Service
User Offline
Ya DGDK will do what you need. And the learning curve should not be hard if you can handle irrlicht.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 01:24:21
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 01:24:21