Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

2D All the way! / (MI1) The Secret of Monkey Island

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2003 23:51
(Monkey Island 1) The Secret of Monkey Island.

I was wondering how this game was actually made, to be more precise, say would they have a pre-rendered scene then somehow position the sprites (people where sprites right?) correctly sat down on the chairs, but then again how could they if the scene was pre-rendered, arrrghhh....

if no-one knows exactly, how would you go about creating an adventure game set like Monkey Island 1, I can do the coding just want to know how to go about it.

Thanks in advance,
- Nilrem
I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.
EightYearRecoil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2003 08:07
Hey, what's up? I'm actually trying to work out an Adventure game maker. I have a lot of stuff coded already (like most of the engine for the game itself). If you want to work together or just trade ideas, let me know. My email is Oldfordm@netzero.com.

Eight Year Recoil
Hubdule
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2003 09:38
If you're interested how they made these Adventure games then have a look here:

http://www.justadventure.com/articles/Engines/SCUMM/SCUMM.shtm

http://scumm.mixnmojo.com/scumm.php?style=original

or search for "SCUMM" at Google

Nilrem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2003 13:57
Thanks Hubdule, and Recoil I've emailed you.

Porl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2003 14:51
i should think that the characters sitting on chairs are one sprite. as in, the character would be standing on his own..then goes to sit in the chair and the character and chair become one sprite. Like with the pirates sitting behind the table in scumm bar im not sure if they are all the same sprite, table included.....

sorry, if that doesn't make much sense.....lol

porl''
Nilrem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2003 14:52
Porl it does make sense, you mean once the character goes to sit down as he goes to sit down that sprite is hidden and the character (sprite) sitting down is shown?

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2003 16:14
It's all done with masks, every are that you can walk behind is a sprite, with a manual Z-Depth, so imagine a chair in front of a table.

[ ]
h

Now, if the player walks in front of the chair, no sprites are needed, if he walks between the chair and table, the chair sprite is needed, if he walks behind the table, the table and chair sprites are needed.

Now, to organise this, the click points, the collision zones etc is not nearly as difficult as you'd think. Once you have your rendered backdrop and cut out the sprites, make a new bitmap based on your backdrop, and on a seperate layer - draw the areas that your player can walk on, this is your main mask. Now, where the player would be behind each obstacle, draw the obstacle with a different colour onto the mask, but concentrating on the ground all the time. Basically, you'd have this mask bitmap loaded as an array, or even as a seperate bitmap, you could then check the position of the player with the mask, and decide if he can walk to a location, and what to do it he hit's certain colours on the mask. I mean, using this system puts a huge emphasis on the mask bitmaps, once you get movement and sprite handling, click zones etc coded - there really isn't much left to do with your engine, a huge chunk of the work is taking care of by the mask bitmaps!. Plus creating other point and click adventures (or an adventure creation system) would be easy. You'd simply have a little editor that let you specify what each colour does, like a list of colours and a little text handle for each is all you need - a function could simply return the text handle of a specified mouse click position.

Upload (or email me) an example backdrop and I'll show you . I have thought about ways to do this (and most other genres) quite a lot.

Van-B

My cats breath smells of cat food.
Nilrem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2003 03:08
Ok here is an example backdrop:

Wayne
Years of Service
User Offline
I once started a SCUMM style game, more like king's quest, I cut the whole screen into a grid, and simply told the do loop of the particular screen that

If characterx > NUM and characterx < NUM and chary > NUM and chary < NUM then do whatever.

It's real basic, but It was in QBasic so imagine what I was doing. This was also years ago, when Ultima 7 had just come out. The theory is solid, it's kinda like how I do some types of collision in 3d in DBPro. But if you can get DBPro to read a mask then that is diff the better way to do it. My fav game like that is Hero's Quest 4.

AIPX Rocks
Nilrem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2003 12:58
Thanks for the input EnchantisoftStudios, Van B can I have your feedback please? I'm at a loss here and am unsure what steps I should take etc; I want to do it the best possible way.

EnchantisoftStudios is there anyway you could convert that code into DBP and supply the media for me to have a look at, as I don't fully follow.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2003 13:25
Yeah, I'll try and get a code example to you tonight using that backdrop - pretty sure I can get hold of a little character.

Van-B

My cats breath smells of cat food.
Nilrem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2003 13:42
Cheers Van-B.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 14:51:15
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 14:51:15