Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / [DGDK.NET] So what's everyone using for collision?

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2007 22:52 Edited at: 3rd Aug 2007 22:52
Just trying to get an idea of what's been ported and is being used in dgdk.net for collisions beyond the basic built in collision commands. What third party kits are you using?

My DBP plugins page is now hosted [href]here[/href]
unitech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2007 22:57 Edited at: 3rd Aug 2007 22:58
Sparky's is all I use, its not really a 3rd party I guess, but work for me.
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2007 23:34
How are you implementing Sparky's collision? Was it ported to work with the dgdkplugins.dll? Could you post a code snippet? Could you attach the sparky dll to your post or a link where to download it? That would all be swell if you could -thanks in advance

unitech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2007 14:44 Edited at: 7th Aug 2007 14:45
All I used was his example, here is what is in my code::

#include "SC_Collision.h" of course..

SC_Start( ); //must be before any collision.

and SC_SetupComplexObject( 45,1,1 ); // to add to a group.

then

His example other the then fact its lightly commented is quite good.
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2007 13:35
thanks.

Charles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2007 11:47
I use dbObjectCollision() to check for collisions. If I need to check where my object hit (like a laser or missile), I would also check to see exactly where it hit by calling dbIntersectObject() for greater accuracy.

Charles.
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2007 14:51
I think we got a bit off topic, I wanted to know about sliding collisions (like Sparky's) in DGDK.NET

no worries tho

psx
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi everyone. About collision. Don't you think that Model per Model collisions are too heavy to calculate. Lets look into the past. At old games. I dont think that developers were using this collision method. For example ResidentEvil on PSone.
It is clear that another method used there.
If I would be a developer of this game, I would write my own method, based on virtual math lines as collision bounds and object center with radius as moving object. It would be much faster, and easier to control.
And I think that most games on this console used its own original methods to detect collisions.
My opinion is that Geometry based calculation method is a bruteforce, and you should avoid it.
unitech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2007 14:38 Edited at: 15th Aug 2007 14:40
PSX, you have a valid point. However it really has to do with design. If you want fast game play you cut many corners. If you want hi res you would cut less. Also the average computer back then was hardly what we call average now. With that in mind and the packages out now (i.e newtons) its just counterproductive to reinvent such wheels. Most of these concepts have been beaten to death to the point the are very well refined and fast. But, again it's all about game play. If I were to build a ResidentEvil style game, yah.. I would use a method as such. If I were to design a Mokeyball type the no... Or of a Mario64 style and use both depending on the point in the game. There is no answer to the "best" method just preference and game design.

Now as CattleRustler says he is looking for collision for sliding.. GDK does not offer such things, but with Sparky's collision for example you can use that feature. He also has basic collision and other types and methods in his dll.
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2007 20:57 Edited at: 28th Aug 2007 20:58
does anyone know if Sparky's Collision can be implemented in dgdk.net as is? I downloaded the dgdk version but it appears to be for C++ as it has a .h file and a .lib. (I am asking for use with VB.NET not c# - which shouldnt matter)

Could this be done via p/invoke?
Could it (sc) be easily compiled to a dll then used that way? I would email Paul Johnson if it were something painless to do, I would ask him if he wouldnt mind.
Is it better and/or necessary to wait for Apex and ask him to see if he can get what he needs from Paul J. to implement the sc like he did with other plugins, thru dgdkplugins dll?

I noticed Karstens collision dll didnt need to go thru dgdkplugins but I dont know how that dll differs from sparkys architecture.

meh

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 01:12:04
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 01:12:04