Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Ambient Light Not Doing Much

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2007 12:32
hey all
ive currently built a game at a friends house and copied to this pc so i cant really build it again, so i went over to the setuplevel,fpi script to change the ambient up all the way you can, i set it at 100. But it didnt do anything. My map contains no lights or anything, its just ambient. If i press the > key all the way i get the desired look i want. Why cant i get the light high in the setuplvl.fpi?

Thanks

[href]www.myspace.com/pictureperfecttheband[/href]
olliday
Years of Service
User Offline
Make sure that the ambiencered, ambiencegreen and ambienceblue are all set to 255
Mr Makealotofsmoke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2007 13:20
they are

jeffhuys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2007 14:44
Go to buildgame and in the level settings tab go to global script and find ambience level. Set that to 100.

Legend of The Beast WIP...
You're the 'th to view this signature!
incense
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2007 15:50 Edited at: 4th Aug 2007 15:59
Mr Makealotofsmoke said this in the first post:
Quote: "ive currently built a game at a friends house and copied to this pc so i cant really build it again"

Then jeffhuys said this:
Quote: " to buildgame and in the level settings tab go to global script and find ambience level. Set that to 100."

You have to lower the values for the blue and the red and the green in the line to make it darker in the level. If they are set to 255 then there may not be a way to make it brighter:
ambiencered=255,ambiencegreen=255,ambienceblue=255

The "ambience=25" has nothing to do with changing the ambient light for the level.

The person that now knows the most started with many questions. Patients and tolorance are the keys to the passage of knowledge. http://gamedesigntech.byethost7.com/
Mr Makealotofsmoke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2007 16:05
weird, so y does it get a lot brighter when you press > if you cant make it go that high in the settings?

incense
Years of Service
User Offline
I have no clue. All I know is that 255 is supposed to be the highest setting for all the colors. You could try to take them a little higher and see what happens. I do know that if you go to high it won't change at all. I tried 300 and it made no difference. Maybe there is a limit to how high it can go. I didn't spend that much time on it. Let me know how it turns out.

The person that now knows the most started with many questions. Patients and tolorance are the keys to the passage of knowledge. http://gamedesigntech.byethost7.com/
Mr Makealotofsmoke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2007 12:39
nope, i set it to 260 and it just goes 260-255 so it end up being 5

incense
Years of Service
User Offline
So 255 is as high as it can go for all 3 colors. Bummer! Making it brighter might have come in handy one day.

Mr Makealotofsmoke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2007 14:34
i wonder how come when u press the < > keys it can go brighter?
seams odd

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2007 15:25 Edited at: 7th Aug 2007 15:26
Here's from a DBPer's perspective of how the ambient commands actually work :

ambience = X is essentially the equivalent of the DBP command SET AMBIENT LIGHT Percentage. That DBP command controls the overall lighting, a lower value being darker and a higher value being lighter. This can range from 0 - 100.

ambienceblue,ambiencered, and ambiencegreen are all mushed together to form the DBP command COLOR AMBIENT LIGHT Color Value. Color Value can be found from the RGB command (pretty self explanatory) since going through several billion numbers is not fun. Those three commands make up the input for the RGB command. VALUES OF 255 MERELY GIVE IT THE FULL AMOUNT OF COLOR FOR EACH ONE. THIS MEANS WHITE. So, that isn't the intended way to get more light. I can't remember if 255 or 0 is default for each one, I'm leaning towards 0 though and I don't feel like plugging in my portable HD for this computer

EDIT:
Quote: "i wonder how come when u press the < > keys it can go brighter?
seams odd"

Debugging Keys. For some reason they are also the only ones that don't turn off in a built game. Maybe Lee will fix it, meanwhile just use a script (either in setuplevel or in a dynamic object or something if you want it level specific) to constantly reset the ambience every loop.

Vote today and play the games!
Mr Makealotofsmoke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2007 15:55 Edited at: 7th Aug 2007 15:57
the default is

ambience = 25
ambienceblue = 255
ambiencered = 255
ambiencegreen = 255

only this is that 25 to 100 are the same light levels for me
its only 25 and lower that it makes a difference

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2007 19:16 Edited at: 7th Aug 2007 19:17
Really? Maybe FPSC is doing a weird value multiplier like it does with coords.

EDIT: With lightmaps I always use 15 or less anyways...

Vote today and play the games!
Mr Makealotofsmoke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2007 14:08
so theres no way to make it over 25 and it actually work?
BTW this is multiplayer with no lights

Storm 6000
Years of Service
User Offline
@Mr Makealotofsmoke: changing the value in the global script has always worked for me so I don't know what you mean by that last post really

Thanks
Adam

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-09 21:26:45
Your offset time is: 2024-10-09 21:26:45