Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPS Creator X10 / X10 Tech Demo or X9 ???

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2007 07:05 Edited at: 7th Aug 2007 07:08
I tried to run the FPSC X10 TechDemo and received the following errors...

[See attached JPG]

...why does the X10 demo require DirectX 9 files???
Is it trying to tell me that DirectX10 is not better than DirectX9 (december)??

Post Script
NO! I do not have DirectX9 installed as it suggests... I have DirectX 10 installed.
Just like the TechDemo requirements ordered.

Don't forget to visit Conjured Entertainment

Attachments

Login to view attachments
TEST OF WILL
Years of Service
User Offline
Install Direct X10
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2007 07:12 Edited at: 7th Aug 2007 07:15
I do have it installed.....

[See Attached JPG]

And that still doesn't explain why it would ask for DirectX9 (December 2005) to be installed if it is supposed to use DirectX10.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
TEST OF WILL
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2007 08:50 Edited at: 7th Aug 2007 09:20
Whats you graphics card?

Edit: where did you go to find out your DirectX version?
bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes for the tech demo you need both dx9 and dx10 installed, don't ask me why. But really I woudn't even bother with the tech demo at this point. So much has changed since then (for the better) that you're better off just looking at the screenshots and waiting for the actual release, when I'm guessing that a new demo will probably be released.

----------------------------------------
"Your mom goes to college."
TGPEG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2007 16:12
Have you got 9.0c? If you only have DX9 on your pc then you need to download 9.0c as well to run the demo. I sat and swore at my computer for hours before I worked that out, so you're not alone.

Your signature has been stolen. If you ever want to see it again, come to the cemetery and bring £500,000, oh, and can you get us some cake?
http://www.fpsinsane.co.nr/
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2007 21:43 Edited at: 7th Aug 2007 21:46
Quote: "But really I woudn't even bother with the tech demo at this point. So much has changed since then (for the better) that you're better off just looking at the screenshots and waiting for the actual release"

Easy for you to say if you have it working.
I still want to see some of my own test results by giving this thing a whirl for myself.
I know the next release will be better, but I want to try this thing now, since I shelled out a small fortune to meet the system requirements.

And I search Microsoft for that file "d3dx9_32.dll" and got no results. Zero, Ziltch, Nada
It seems if the file is a directx file then microsoft should know about it.
And what about the "DBProCamera10.dll"? Why isn't that in the demo? We have to download it seperately?

Quote: "where did you go to find out your DirectX version? "

Start>Run>
then enter "dxdiag" and hit "ok"
That is your DirectX Diagnostics Tool

BMB
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I know the next release will be better, but I want to try this thing now, since I shelled out a small fortune to meet the system requirements."

Same here... And I've been having the same issues you have. I emailed Lee and he said that the old tech demo still has parts of DirectX 9 code in it and that's why it needs DirectX 9... So I tried to installed X9.0c instead but guess what? Windows won't let you downgrade your DirectX - just upgrade it. When you go to install an older version it just says you can't because you have a newer version installed.

So I'm at a loss just as you are. Lets just hope that a new demo comes sometime in the near future.

bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2007 22:46 Edited at: 7th Aug 2007 22:48
So, even after installing directx 9 (the whole thing not just d3dx9_32.dll) it still doesn't work? I didn't have to download any specific dll's to get the demo working....I just downloaded the redistributable version of directx 9 from Microsoft and off I went.

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2007 23:48 Edited at: 7th Aug 2007 23:53
Ok
I finally got my hands on a DX9c(4-06) run time.
It solved the missing file d3dx9_32.dll problem.
This is what really freaks me out... it also solved the missing DBProCamera10.dll thingy too.
So, I am to understand that the Microsoft DirectX9c(4-06) has DBPro DLLs in it?

Post Script
The Tech Demo played the movie and then put me in 'Manual Mode' where I could use certain keys to toy with the bloom etc.
I never got to any editor where I could build anything.
Is that the extent of the tech demo or did i only get part of it to run?
I'm not knocking it, I just wanted to know I wasn't missing something due to it not running right.

Yet Another Edit
I played it with an 8500GT but it lagged a bit so I can see why you need an 8800 for the tech thingy.

bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2007 00:42 Edited at: 8th Aug 2007 00:44
Quote: "Is that the extent of the tech demo or did i only get part of it to run?"

Nope thats it! It has some cool visuals but not really indicative of the actual product AT ALL, mostly why I said don't even bother. Even with my 8800 the demo is a little choppy (again, the actual beta isn't though).

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2007 01:32 Edited at: 8th Aug 2007 01:34
Thanks bond1,
I love what I see so far, and I can hardly wait for my chance at the actual product.

If the improvements are going to take 90 days or more then I hope they release the Demo Midways.
All of us who are definitely going to get X10 would love to play around with the demo whilst we wait.

I envy you guys (employees and contractors) for your access to the Beta that Lee spoke about in the newsletter.

BMB
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2007 05:22 Edited at: 9th Aug 2007 07:59
Quote: "I just downloaded the redistributable version of directx 9 from Microsoft and off I went."

I'm sooo glad you said that. I did what you said there and extracted those files to my desktop and behold! The tech demo now works!! It was slow on my GeForce 8600 GT though... During the actual rendering parts I got from 1-7 fps max. ...But I'm not worried, they said they've got optimizing yet to do and that it will support my card. I may not get 80+ fps like I could with a 8800 but as long as I get about 30 fps or so I'm just fine

EDIT:
I just updated my card's drivers and it's running at about 22 fps now! Amazing what the latest drivers can do! Much more fun now that I can actually focus on the engine and not the lag... I also just realized that there are 50 characters on screen at once and I kept a steady 21 fps the whole time.

Mickm
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2007 18:40
BMB, glad to hear the updated drivers do something. I just updated mine last night, now to run it again and see what i get XD

Intel® Core 2 E6420 Duo Processor |2GB DDR2 | nVidia GeForce 8600 GTS |Sound Blaster® Audigy HD Software Edition
Windows Vista Home Premium | 22" E228WFP Widescreen Digital Flat Panel
Goodman84
Years of Service
User Offline
The exact same thing happened to me so just get X9 and X10? Wow wierd!

hey

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 11:47:29
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 11:47:29