Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / how to use shadows!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
People keep asking how to use shadows here is an example install this and mess around with it, it shows you how shadows are and examples

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Cheese Cake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2007 21:36
Uhm what is this?
TEST OF WILL
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Uhm what is this?"

It is a map made with stock content showing shadows because people keep asking about them
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2007 02:02
I found that dynamic shadows can be used to good effect when doing some testing with them in my early map development days.

This was pre Dark Lights being implemented into the engine which gives us all those cool shadows from static geometry now but I thought it was quite good for the time.

See the accurate shadow being rendered on the house underneath the roof and from the railing on the floor. Also the shadow is cast from the house onto the rock towards the back and from the wooden drum.

Attachments

Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2007 02:03 Edited at: 8th Aug 2007 02:04
And from a different view you can see the dynamic shadow on the rock slightly better

I don't tend to use dynamic lighting with the new lightmapping FPSC has to offer but it has it's moments.

Best

Attachments

TEST OF WILL
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok dude how did you do that did you make the light dynamic or the objects dynamic and the objects immobile or something?
TGPEG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2007 11:06
My computer can't handle dynamic shadows, it just crashes and I shout a lot. If you want really sharp shadows with Dark Lights, just change the properties in the setup.ini file so that it comes out with 1024x1024 shadows with no feahtering around the edges. It takes ages to calculate, but the overall effect is better, and the game runs faster.

But I bet you already knew that though.

Your signature has been stolen. If you ever want to see it again, come to the cemetery and bring £500,000, oh, and can you get us some cake?
http://www.fpsinsane.co.nr/
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2007 23:37
Quote: "Ok dude how did you do that did you make the light dynamic or the objects dynamic and the objects immobile or something?"

First of all you need to make any entities that you want to have dynamic shadows cast from dynamic.

As with the new FPSC lightmapping system, dynamic shadows will only be cast from static light sources. In the first screenshot I posted you can see where the static light source is coming from on the right hand side.

In the scene I'm showing the house has been made immobile but the wooden drum is mobile so you can pick it up, throw it and have the dynamic shadow cast on any of the geometry in your level.

I thought dynamic shadows were going to be the answer for Doom 3 esque shadow effects but dynamic shadows cannot be used on animated objects at the moment e.g. swinging light fixtures / rotating fans etc. It's a shame because that would be awesome.

Quote: "But I bet you already knew that though."

I was aware of this but hadn't tried it yet so thanks for the information. I'll give it a go!

Best
AaronG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2007 01:39
Just go to the setup.ini and make dynamiclights=0 to =1.

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2007 16:36
@TEST OF WILL

Dude I don't know what you were thinking or doing but that is not a very good example of using shadows.

Pointless Assault video
http://w13.easy-share.com/1408971.html
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2007 17:52
I found the dynamic shadows setting along time ago and added it to my FPSC launcher while I was still working on Hostile Environment. Now if I can just find my launcher's source again

Vote today and play the games!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-09 21:21:10
Your offset time is: 2024-10-09 21:21:10