Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark Physics & Dark A.I. & Dark Dynamix / How big is the Dark Physics "world" in pixels?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I remember using Newton that the Newton environment was limited to like 100,000 pixels or something to that effect. If you strayed outside of those limits, the physics engine would no longer work. I recently purchased Dark Physics and I've noticed that when I run to the edge of my map (I'm making a huge sandbox RPG) I just kind of fall off, though gravity still definitely applies.

My question is: Is there a limit to the size of the Newton ENVIRONMENT, or is there a limit as to the number of polygons or width in pixels of an OBJECT with respect to collision? Like, for example, if an object is too large, will Newton run collision for some parts of the object but not the furthest reaches of it? Thanks!
culmor30
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2007 03:59
Newton or DP? I don't think DP has a limit, never had problems with it.

And also, if you have problems, just scale down everything. Divide the sizes each by 2 or 3, and you're fine, plus the game looks the same.
BiggAdd
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2007 21:24
I don't quite understand. Do you mean that you run to the very edge of the map then fall off afterwards... because thats meant to happen. Or do you mean when there are still polygons there?

Sig removed by BiggAdd because he is everywhere.
Weedfox
Years of Service
User Offline
It's with Dark Physics ... and yes, there are definitely still polygons there. I think there must be some limit to the size of an object that DP can handle. The object I've got currently is a landmass of about 50,000 pixels by 50,000 pixels, and after about 13,000 pixels in the direction of the X axis, I fall completely through the object, which means it's roughly 26,000 pixels wide along the X axis before I "fall off." Any ideas?
david w
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2007 00:13
I think you must be doing something wrong.
culmor30
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2007 00:29
Post your code?
Weedfox
Years of Service
User Offline
here it is ... thanks for checking this out:

Agent Dink
Years of Service
User Offline
To run that code we need the objects and media that you have for the project as well.

Just a note for you. DBP units are meters, not pixels

Kendor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2007 23:03
My guess (without media) would be that your landscape is too complex to be setup as a static terrain. Have you tried to set it up as a static mesh, and see if your character falls?

Quote: " DBP units are meters, not pixel "

Actually, they are just 3d units. It is up to you whether 1 unit is equal to 1 metre, 1cm, etc.

Theory is when you know something, but it doesn't work. Practice is when something works, but you don't know why.
Programmers combine theory and practice: Nothing works and they don't know why.
Weedfox
Years of Service
User Offline
the terrain (for now) is actually just a flat plane ... i'll attach the media here. i've been messing with it and i can't really come up with anything other than there is either a limit to the size of the DP environment or with my model itself. since it's a plane, though, i'm not really sure how that would work. here comes the media!

(just unzip in a "media" subdir)

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Kendor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2007 23:51 Edited at: 28th Aug 2007 23:56
Correct answer, wrong reasoning

Setting it up as a static mesh works correctly and will not make your character fall. As for the reason, maybe the plane is too simple i.e. it requires some bumps to work correctly.

Theory is when you know something, but it doesn't work. Practice is when something works, but you don't know why.
Weedfox
Years of Service
User Offline
ahhh, good point! i hadn't even considered that. i'll take a look at making some small hills to see if that makes a difference and i'll post right back once i see if i can walk all the way from one end to the other.

on a related note, i LOVE dark physics. i've got this HUGE model with collision and physics and i'm still getting an amazing framerate.
Agent Dink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2007 08:02 Edited at: 29th Aug 2007 18:30
Quote: "http://www.mozilla.ortg/"
^^ ...wow... what the heck. How did I not realize I had the wrong quote there last night... way to go. LOL.

The correct quote:
Quote: "Actually, they are just 3d units. It is up to you whether 1 unit is equal to 1 metre, 1cm, etc."

Well, I said that because 1 dbp unit is equal to one meter in my modeling tool. I thought they had standardized sizes. Maybe I'm just lucky with my modeler meshing so well with DBP?

Weedfox
Years of Service
User Offline
awesome ... what modeler do you use? I use 3dsmax with a .x file exporter and it hardly ever works properly.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2007 18:17
Quote: "DBP units are meters, not pixel"

Quote: "Actually, they are just 3d units. It is up to you whether 1 unit is equal to 1 metre, 1cm, etc."

If you take it as 1 unit = 1 metre, then the Physics calculations convert to real-world figures, I believe. I made the mistake of making my burgers in my competition game about 10 units wide. This converts to 10 metres in DP-speak, and the physics was not very convincing. It worked, but it was obvious that the burgers acting more like boulders than bread.

Agent Dink
Years of Service
User Offline
I use trueSpace for modeling.

Kendor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2007 19:11
Quote: "If you take it as 1 unit = 1 metre, then the Physics calculations convert to real-world figures, I believe"

Fair enough. But it is still an assumption made by Dark Physics to take 1 unit = 1 metre. It could have easily been 1 unit = 1 cm and DBP won't notice the difference and place it in the same position of the 1 unit/1 metre conversion.

p.s. I pass on the burgers

Codger
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Fair enough. But it is still an assumption made by Dark Physics to take 1 unit = 1 metre. It could have easily been 1 unit = 1 cm and DBP won't notice the difference and place it in the same position of the 1 unit/1 metre conversion.
"

Batvink is correct the units are not arbitrary. You can modify all aspects of the Physics system and use other units but if you wish to have you models act as they do on our world, then gravity does = -9.8 meters per second squared. If a man is 1.9 meters tall he needs to fall at the default rate to appear realistic.

System
PIV 2.8 MZ 512 Mem
FX 5600 256 mem

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-08 00:59:23
Your offset time is: 2024-09-08 00:59:23