Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Shaders on MP9 Guns,

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2007 07:50 Edited at: 26th Aug 2007 07:54
I recommend watching this if you want the graphical quality of your game to be signifcantly increased.

This shows (for all who would like to see) the effect on quality of the MP9 guns (specifically the 1911) using a self-made normal map and shaders.(stock.) This also shows that you can have light reflect off the guns and gloves. The video is attached. (.WMV,9.54 MB)

Note: I have made a normal map for the AKM as well but I have not tested. The 1911 and AKM are the only two guns so far that I've added normals too.

Edit: I've tested the akm, as with the 1911, shaders give it the edge(mostly in light reflection, which doesn't work without the shaders.)

Attachments

Login to view attachments
BMB
Years of Service
User Offline
That's really cool. I'll have to try that out sometime.

BTW, you have a few typos in the video.

Snowblind 44
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2007 16:22 Edited at: 26th Aug 2007 17:00
I do? Which ones? I'll take a look at the video to see if I can spot them.

Edit: Oh, lol, sorry about the "hunds", I meant to say hands. No idea why I forgot the ending parentheses in the reflection part.

Edit Again:BTW, some of the guns quality is lost because the game uses MP9's (and I'm assuming MP10's) guns' vweap textures instead of the hud diffuse textures. Also, there was negligible (-1 or 2 fps) framerate loss when using the shaders.

Jon Fletcher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2007 18:26
lol, thats not new, bumpcubereflectalpha.fx has been included since the first version, its used on alot of the weapons as standard when shaders are activated, the python pistol for instance is a very nice example of this effect.

it uses normal mapping but to a very subtle effect, and only being slightly visible, no matter the level of ambience. Bumpbone will show more of the normal map, but appears to be very compressed and too effective, also ridding specular shine.

Snowblind 44
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2007 19:02
I knew that, but I was amazed at the quality difference in Errant's guns.

Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
The download stops for me at 1.23 MB. So, only a few seconds of the video are viewable.

How is it that the VWEAP textures are being called? They shouldn't work at all on HUD weapons due to different UV co-ords.

You will likely find an FPSC bug that assigns the normal and spec maps for the gun to all geometry regardless of the texture assigned. So, you might have slide serrations from the 1911 on the arm model or something odd like that.

As the models are shipped, they have an FX shader assigned but no shader maps included. I did that so that they'd look better in shader mode but without the bugginess. Still, it's cool to know at least one person is experimenting with the media in this way.
Snowblind 44
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2007 16:47
Quote: "How is it that the VWEAP textures are being called? They shouldn't work at all on HUD weapons due to different UV co-ords."

No idea. The gunspec's "textured =" line is blank, and when you load a gun into the editor and right click on it, it has xyzvweap_D specified as the texture. (For me anyway.)

Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
OK. That makes sense. I assume you're right clicking on the placed entity. The placed weapons use wveap named textures.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-09 23:21:15
Your offset time is: 2024-10-09 23:21:15