Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / A few questions on how to texture/create models etc.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Well before i start i would ask you please not to say "use the search feature" I have and EVERY topic has someone saying "Use the search feature to find out the answer" and of course because all the topics have been told to search, there isn't actually a "findable" answer :S

Anywho, i recently downloaded the entity maker, i didn't find it very useful as the complex .fpi scripts that are needed to make your own are out of my depth, however i was wondering if i could use the entity maker to retexture stuff as shown in the video tutorial. My question is that will the texture fit and/or be the right way up :/ And how big does the texture have to be to fit the model (How can i find that out)

Another few questions:
What is the best/easyest to use moddeling program?
Where can i find a free texture creating program?

How would i animate a model that i make?
how would i put the finished model (Animated, textured and all that) into FPSC?

As a side note, could anyone give me a brief tutorial on how to make objects fpsc ready?

Well those are my questions :/ Even if you answer only one it will help me greatly :/
Many thanks, - SquelchyTom.
vorconan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2007 01:08
Use the search feature.

No joking now, this really has been asked and answered loads. I'll answer some questions.

however i was wondering if i could use the entity maker to retexture stuff as shown in the video tutorial

Yes, thats why it is in the video tutorial

will the texture fit and/or be the right way up?

Look for UV mapping

how big does the texture have to be to fit the model

The texture will fit the model whatever size it is, the size of the texture will only determine the quality. The bigger the better the slower, basically.

What is the best/easyest to use moddeling program?
Where can i find a free texture creating program?

See my modelling links thread in 3d chat, it should help.

Hope that kind of helps

Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2007 01:14 Edited at: 28th Aug 2007 01:17
Quote: "i was wondering if i could use the entity maker to retexture stuff as shown in the video tutorial"

Depends on the model. If you just want to give the entire model a generic base texture then sure. You can just change the text inside the .fpe once you've exported a completed model aswell. The texure size can be either 256x256 or 512x512. In terms of the texture fitting, if it is a more complex model which requires texturing on different faces, you will need to create a UV texture map for it.

Quote: "What is the best/easyest to use moddeling program?"

Best = 3D Max
Easiest = Milkshape

Quote: "Where can i find a free texture creating program?"

Download GIMP from here

http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/

Quote: "How would i animate a model that i make?"

Use either of the above applications (best/easiest)

Quote: "how would i put the finished model (Animated, textured and all that) into FPSC?"

Start here for 3D Max

http://www.fpscreator.com/characterstudio.html

Or here for Milkshape

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=62483&b=24
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=103749&b=3

There are other written and video tutorials around the forums which will help you if you hunt for them.
Squelchy Tom
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2007 01:54 Edited at: 28th Aug 2007 02:00
ok thanks im guessing that UV in UVMapping isn't of the light sort :/

Edit: just checked your modelling post thing, which of those programs can export into FPSC easily

And to add to my question about the textures, how would the program know where to put the texture where (hard to explain) like for a gun, ussualy its texture is a mirror image like (one side of gun|one side of gun) so it folds over to make the texture (if you catch my drift) how would i do that, does it have something to do with this UV mapping :S tell me more
fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2007 02:00
Quote: "Best = 3D Max
Easiest = Milkshape"

nope Easiest is Wings 3d if you want to cut up the model for your UVs, there is a video by some Asian guy as well that explains how to do it, very easy to work.
Sopo the tocho
Years of Service
User Offline
The "Best" or the "Easiest" depends on the user election.

Intel Pentium core 2 duo T6600 2,6 mhz 4mb, 4 gb ram 600 mhz ddr2, ATI X1650 radeon

http://www.freewebs.com/raycosantana/

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-09 23:17:51
Your offset time is: 2024-10-09 23:17:51