Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Server Lobby. Possible?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2007 02:06
First of all hello!

I have a couple things here...

I have been making an online deathmatch based game with FPSC and thought of something. Once the game is finished and people want to find other players online, is there a way I could make a server lobby or something similar. I dont want people to be just limited to playing with there friends. So here are some of the solutions I thought of and im not sure which way to approach it:

1. Make a lobby in Visual Basic that dispays games currently active. The ping and the IP. I would like for you to be able to double click it and it takes you into the game but im not that good hah. I most likely will have it to where you double click the game and it copies the IP. Then you can use Ctrl+V to paste it in the Join Game menu. I need BIG TIME direction on this one. I need to know how to get the information from the FPSC server.

2. Make a chat based thing in visual basic so people can post the IP for thier game in hope of getting other players to join.

I need some input and help. Im also not to sure if FPSC offers anything like this. If anyone would be intrested in helping let me know. (Im not a professional programmer or anything so dont flame me too bad if this is completely impossible hah.)

Thank you, Agent Orannnge
Veron
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey,

#1 is certainly possible, look in the "Showcase" board for something called the Knives Pack, that game does just that, or something similar, and, yes, it's made in VB.

#2 has also been done in the Knives Pack.

Good luck with FPSC.

[center]
Mr Makealotofsmoke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2007 12:15 Edited at: 30th Aug 2007 12:16
yep
im also thinking on doing some updates and bring out the same thing, but with GUNS!

only thing is that i didnt do the "show server"
it was just a chat program built into the side.
to get server info, u would have 2 change the code

Agent Orannnge
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2007 20:30
Thanks for the friendly output . Compaired to most forums this one seems on the friendly side hah.

I searched for "Knives Pack" in the showcase section and it didn't bring up anything.

Im using VB 2005 and there is one downside for me wanting to do this. Wouldn't everyone need .NET Framework 2.0 to play my game because of the chat/server status thingy. That might come across as difficult to people who are un-experienced with computers. Im not 100% sure its required because I already have it but im kinda sure it is.

I also am having trouble finding a way to go about this. If im not mistaken I would need to alter the FPSC code as "Mr Makealotofsmoke" pointed out. Im also not sure how I would intergrate the external program into my game. If anyone would like to PM with a rough blueprint of what I need to do would be awesome. Or just post it here

Thank you, Agent Orannnge
Gaming Geeza
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Sorry about this.

It was in reply to you Game Launching System, but they seem to have locked it so this is the attempted post;

-----------------------

I think it looks brillient!

Well Done!

May I ask though a few questions though;

How does it work?
What does it do?
If it does what i think it does, (update the game, allow multiple maps and secure the game), when will you be giving it out to people. Because I would really like to have a copy please, and in return I can test it (like a beta)?

Sorry, the last one wasent really a question.

Oh, also does it require a dedicated server becuase if it does...Damn, i aint got one?
Also does it use php and mySQL?

The Geeza

Nothing interesting yet to say.
Agent Orannnge
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2007 21:04
Thank you very much! Yeah I was shaky at first posting this in the showcase section but the description for the forum made me think it was ok lol.

To answer some of your questions..

When my game will be completed im am going to make a custom installer in Visual Basic to put all the exe's for the levels in a folder tucked away in the C: drive. This "Game Launcher" will be placed on the desktop being the only Icon you will need. Once you open the "Game Launcher" the center box is actually a webpage I have made. I didn't want to get too complicated and make a server to connect to the Game Launcher so I simply made the illusion. I went to googlepages.com and made a little webpage that says something of the following: The latest version of Kounter Act is: 0.1. If you click the "info" button in your Game Launcher and the version you own does not match the most current, visit "URL HERE" for the latest update. When you click on the link it brings you to the download page and allows you to download the new update all inside the game launcher.

It does all of those things you just mentioned and when im done much more! I want to eventually intergrate a chat system so players can chat in a main lobby and make friends to play with on a regular basis. As I also have already mentioned I want the drop down information to appear when you hover over the level buttons. There will be a server list also included for finding games quickly. For that its just gonna be a bulletin board that you will post your server in or copy the ip address of another. When you double click on a server name I want it to copy the IP to the clipboard and bring you to the level selection menu so you are ready to go.

As soon as I get more features in I will make a template version and release it for the community. Im going to clean up the graphics make some new glossy buttons and all that jazz. I also would be more than happy to get some testers and what not.

Doesn't require anything to run. Maybe just the .NET framework but that can be easily downloaded if you dont already have it.

As of now it oly uses Visual Basic 2005. I doubt I will need to do anything in PHP or any databases but if it comes down to it I could. I know PHP to an extent as well.

Im not to sure where to post my progress considering my posts still take hours to appear because im new and my post got locked in the showcase.

(Im gonna try to haul buns and get this going for the community if anyone wants it.) Thank you, Agent Orannnge

Kounter Act - In progress
Gaming Geeza
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Again,

Sounds great i would love to become one of your testers if you interested.

Also, if your interested, I own a server not to big but then again not to small. However I thought that maybe if your interested i could set you up a small forum website type thing to post your project status and comments on. Becuase i am in the middle of starting up a small game making company of my own called GameWorks. then you could be my first entry into the showcase and projects catagory.

Oh the link to my test forum is http://www.tangle.org.uk/gameworks_forum/

But remember as i said it's still early days yet, but just think about the forum thing.

BTW: It is free of charge, im a kind sort of guy.

The Geeza

Nothing interesting yet to say.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-09 23:22:10
Your offset time is: 2024-10-09 23:22:10