Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Sci Fi level comp

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,
I have read the new Game Creators news letter and saw the results to the sci fi comp.

I downloaded 3 of the levels and ran them, my question is why does it take 20 minutes to load the game level when running on a machine that easily runs BIOSHOCK with everything turned up?

And when the level ran there was lots of slow down in small rooms??

Am I wasting my time using FPSC x9 for a commercial game idea??

Your thoughts please.

Many thanks
Veron
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Am I wasting my time using FPSC x9 for a commercial game idea??"

Probably. Any game made with FPSC with large levels like that will take ages to load in FPSC. Bioshock was coded in what was probably C++ and/or OpenGL, higher level programming languages.

X10 will hopefully have faster loading times, but FPSC X9 for commerical games is certainly possible, and it has been done before (Look for E.L.E in the Showcase board, it's stickied up the top), but i'd prefer DBP to X9 any day.

Good luck with FPSC!

[center]
SBOVIS
Years of Service
User Offline
So are you saying small levels and lots of them is better than one large level in FPSC?

I think FPSCX10 will have the same issues as it is coded on the same basis even though in C rather than DBP.

What I do not understand is that a level of this size in DBP would probably run faster, but in FPSC X9 it is much slower even though it was written in DBP??? hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm looks like the Game Creator team still has a far way to go before this software is usable by the masses to create a good end product..........Pity as I like the idea and the engine.
TGPEG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2007 14:06 Edited at: 4th Sep 2007 14:15
FPSC is coded inefficiently. I looked through the source code in DB and I could see millions of ways it could have been made more efficient. DB Pro has been built from the ground up! and that's why it performs so much better

EDIT:X10 is also built... from the ground up! so it also is more efficient, that's why you will get 60fps+ with that

[center]
The all new EG Interactive Forums.
SBOVIS
Years of Service
User Offline
Ah thanks TGPEG!! that explains alot.

So it looks as though the X9 version needs an overhaul and a re-write to make it faster and more efficient.

Like building a castle on sand eh? hahahahahahaha or should I say quicksand??

Over to you Mr Bamber.................................
Veron
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "even though in C rather than DBP.
"

FPSC X10 is coded in a modified version of DBP X10, they said so in Nickdude's Q&A thread.

Quote: "So it looks as though the X9 version needs an overhaul and a re-write to make it faster and more efficient."

This is why, when the latest source code comes out, everybody will be wanting to change it (including me!), and release their own source modifications.

[center]
SamHH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2007 14:52 Edited at: 4th Sep 2007 16:02
your probably referring to beyond life, the reason that game takes so long to load is because its built with fpsc V1 1.06 is vastly improved.
SBOVIS
Years of Service
User Offline
No I am referring to SIGHT and XCOP22
SamHH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2007 16:01
probably the same reason built in V1
vorconan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2007 23:12
Quote: "X10 is also built... from the ground up! so it also is more efficient, that's why you will get 60fps+ with that"

I guess the Geforce 8800 has nothing to do with it then?

TGPEG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2007 23:13
Well yes, but it's built from... the ground up!

On the journo website I used to work for, that was our favourite PR phrase.

[center]
The all new EG Interactive Forums.
ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "your probably referring to beyond life, the reason that game takes so long to load is because its built with fpsc V1 1.06 is vastly improved. "

Ah hahahahahahah, no seriously. It messed up my lightmapping in my build. 1.04 seemed to do me better.

Play the pre-demo of 508, only at the Level Compo...
SamHH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2007 23:20
Quote: "Ah hahahahahahah, no seriously. It messed up my lightmapping in my build. 1.04 seemed to do me better."
what are your specs?
ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm not on that computer right now so I couldn't tell you. and its not old. Its a 2004 HP Pavillion with a fairly good ATI graphics card. It runs Half-Life 2 and all that junk on high. It runs Fable: The Lost Chapters easy, and the lighting is super awsome!
Well I think it's just the program though.

Play the pre-demo of 508, only at the Level Compo...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-09 23:15:07
Your offset time is: 2024-10-09 23:15:07