Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Converting maps to .bsp

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Just a small enquiry...

Is it possible to convert maps made with FPSC to .bsp format?
I have this feeling it's not but the function would be really useful to me.

Thanks.

FPSC has the power of God...it saves the universe and optimises it on a daily basis!
Greek freak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2007 18:56
No unless you enter your maps in Dark basic pro and then make them into .bsp. (i think)

The problem is not if there isn't after-death-life. The problem is if there is no life in life!
Herbius
Years of Service
User Offline
How could this be done?
I'll take a look at DB Pro anyway, thanks a lot.

FPSC has the power of God...it saves the universe and optimises it on a daily basis!
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2007 23:30
No, don't try it. Lee said messing with the universe.dbo would be pointless.

Storm 6000
Years of Service
User Offline
.bsp is now an outdated and dying format you would be better not to venture there as its not even supported anymore

Thanks
Adam
Herbius
Years of Service
User Offline
From what I've read about it it can optimise the maps greatly. Plus, it's my preffered file format for maps.

Goodman84
Years of Service
User Offline
-_- Storm 6000 I can't believe you said that, BSP is Never going to out date and is used in css maps and hl2 maps. Ext ext...

hey
DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
BSP is on it's way out. The new standard, ASP (I think it's called) is adaptive and can even have smoothing groups. I read all about it on another game engines tech forums very recently.

~Dave

Phoenix Sentry Programmer
Goodman84
Years of Service
User Offline
BSP Hl2 Episode 1

hey
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2007 03:54 Edited at: 21st Sep 2007 03:55
In essence as far as I am aware FPSC already utilises the BSP file format in disguise. Most budget engines have for many years and many still do.

That situation is evolving in some instances with formats and capabilities changing slowly of course.

The efficiency of an BSP type engines capability depends on many factors not least of all the underlying engines programming laguage and the efficiency of the code, compiler and so on. It's a very complicated subject.

"There are those who said this day would never come - What have they to say Now?"
BULLSHOCK 2
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2007 05:22
FPSC saves the levels in DBO objects, and DBO objects can only be loaded and saved as DBO objects. You can save it as an X file but then it looses animation and textures... Sorry, but one something is a DBO...its stays a dbo...i learned the hard way.

http://www.seqoiagames.com/seqoiacorp/
fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2007 21:57
There is a tutorial in a GC newsletter on converting fpsc level to dark basic, from that one can probably export it out.

So FPSc is BSP, then it wont make use on instancing then on the meshes, giving big file size and slower performance. No wonder the levels take some time to load.

I wonder if the entities are bsp as well.
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2007 01:22
Quote: "In essence as far as I am aware FPSC already utilises the BSP file format in disguise. Most budget engines have for many years and many still do."

Where'd you hear that?

Quote: "There is a tutorial in a GC newsletter on converting fpsc level to dark basic, from that one can probably export it out.
"

Not gonna work, dude. I talked to Lee about it.

Avid
Years of Service
User Offline
IIRC, in Quake 3 based games, you specified 'static' models which functioned as game geometry. I'm not sure how FPS creator works, but it probably does vis-clipping, but it won't be as efficient as pre calculating it. Dynamic entities were never part of the bsp, they are added in separately, so usually appeared at full brightness. The problem with Quake 3 games is the lack of real dynamic lighting that applies to all objects, it only does vertex for models (which basically just alters the light intensity). This was somewhat solved in the Doom 3 engine, but I'm sure that still uses bsp.

The system itself is still used because it is a simple and effective way to optomise levels - only the algorithms for calculating the partition have been improved, mostly for taking advantage of multiple core processors.
Herbius
Years of Service
User Offline
Enough of the tech stuff, please...

All I want to know is: is there a simple way to export FPSC maps to .bsp (or .map), and if so, how do I do it? In Newsletter #14 (I think) which I saw in google, it said something about exporting to .map. This is fine as I can convert to .bsp afterwards with a Nightfire tool.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-10 01:24:25
Your offset time is: 2024-10-10 01:24:25