Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Normal maps (yes, I searched. The threads I found didn't help me)

Author
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2007 22:42
Ok i know, use the search function. I did and cheese cake pointed me to a nice thread; it didn't work for me. The result I got was no where close to being Normal mapped. Can someone who has gotten custom normal maps to work in FPSC please post a simple tutorial please? I will give the the person who posts a nice tutorial that works for me a a free model of my choice.

Cheers,
Dave

Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
RF, They can be sort of flaky depending on what you're normal mapping. Dynamic entities usually work as they should but static and segment's have always been iffy for me. Characters are their own story and seem to behave differently depending on the version of FPSC being run.

The best way to understand how they are handled in FPSC (IMO) is to introduce the shader textures one at a time. _D2 then _D then _N then _S. The spec map usually hoses things for me so I don't use one except on dynamic entities (but not characters). I also find that FPSC lacks the fidelity to use a totally plain-looking _D map and usually add some artificial lighting in the map.

Hope this helps a little though I know it's nowhere near a tutorial. I'm using a low-end Nvidia 7K series PCI-E card, BTW.
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2007 23:49 Edited at: 8th Sep 2007 23:50
Ok

The first thing to remember here is that FPSC X9 is only really going to produce worthwhile results for normal mapping when dealing with particular entities.

Unless TGC update the existing FPSC shader files (.fx) or you know some HLSL yourself then your just not going to get the desired results as far as scenery is concerned. Whilst shaders can be used on segments and entities, there are rendering issues as soon as a light source other than the ambient light is introduced to the scene.

The bad news is that the existing FPSC shader lighting model for normap mapping isn't that great but the good news is it's a question of making a better compliant shader file not an engine problem.

Your probably better waiting for X10 before doing too much with shaders as I've read from the latest newsletter

Quote: "Another cool upgrade was the complete promotion of all sci-fi media to X10 using their full complement of textures. This means they will all have bump mapping as standard and, where provided, specular and illumination details. We discovered a good DX10 card can handle full scene bump mapping very well, and does not cause a significant performance drop. We are currently working on improving the sci-fi media as well, to ensure we get the best visuals from existing art. The cool trick here is that you can load in your old levels which use sci-fi segments, and get a visual boost simply by building it in X10. We have also added some new segments, which are even better!"

I made a bunch of threads about normal mapping

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=104897&b=21

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=111953&b=24

Also watch video 4 from the FPSC segment editor video tutorials in which Lee shows you how to apply shaders to a segment which is exactly the same process I used in my first link above. Look at my screenshots to see the results and you'll see the effects.

Some people claim that V1.00 fully supported shaders but losing the new lightmapper isn't an acceptable tradeoff for me to find out.

Of course some of the high end modellers around here just bake the additional texture maps they want into their textures but that really would require a tutorial.
Cheese Cake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2007 02:44 Edited at: 9th Sep 2007 02:45
Edit

Sorry my mistake.

Second Edit.

Reality....
For what type of media do you want to put normal maps on?

Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2007 14:28
Thanks guys,

The entities are just normal entities, no animations and they can be dynamic or static. I would Just bake my ao, spec and norm maps but I can not figure out Blenders texture baker. I am going to pop on over to one of their support forums and see if anyone can help me out.

For anyone interested here is my problem:

When completing a texture the bake the model and textures become solid black.

Cheers,
Dave

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-09 23:14:31
Your offset time is: 2024-10-09 23:14:31