Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark Physics & Dark A.I. & Dark Dynamix / does phy load rigid body static mesh actually work?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2007 22:44
Reason I ask is it doesn't seem to be on my comp (better mention I'm on Vista here, V1.01 of DP).

I first noticed this when I started using version control with my project, every time I ran my project it would flag the files with the physics data as having been modified.

If you run the above code sample without having first created the file 'test.blah' then phy load rigid body static mesh will create it for you (not mentioned in the help files and personally I would prefer it if it threw an error instead of silently making it for you). Then check the date modified for the file and run the code again. Checking the date modified field for the file again will reveal that it has been modified (or at least does on my comp). You may think ah but the date created field doesn't update,well I tried actually deleting the file completely and creating it again and the date created remained the same so it can be ignored.

Finally the reason I ask is because in my project which uses more complex geometry than a cube, such that the loading time is actually noticeable, using phy load rigid body static mesh and phy make rigid body static mesh both take the exact same amount of time.

Now it's possible that maybe I'm overlooking something stupidly simple here, and I will hit post and then realise what it is and feel like an idiot (wouldn't be the first time...), but I can't think of what that might be so I'm hitting post.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2007 10:07
I can't find it in the examples, but I'm sure there is a demo created by Mike somewhere. In that one, it definitely works faster.

RalphY
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2007 17:01
I couldn't find an example for loading static meshes but I did just find one for dynamic meshes. Your right it did indeed load quicker (actually it wouldn't load at all with make dynamic mesh - came up with the program not responding message).

Interesting, maybe my app is at some threshold where make and load both take the same amount of time but adding in anything more would make the difference noticeable. Will have to play around with it some more...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-08 00:44:44
Your offset time is: 2024-09-08 00:44:44