Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello, a little question:

It's me, or it's simply impossible to land (after a jump) with the vehicle ON THE ROOF? (sometimes it happens, but the car, like a young cat, rolls again with wheels down)

It makes all so innatural..

There's a way to disable the "automatic wheels down" feature?

Thanks!

Lucka - gawteam coder - www.gawgames.com
deadlyduck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2007 12:50
I was trying to get the same thing,
I have tried messing around with the friction levels etc, but can't seem to get the vehicles to be able to stay roof down.

Anyone out there know what you have to tweek to get this?
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2007 15:09
I haven't seen the code you refer to, but has the centre of gravity been lowered?

Lucka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2007 16:01 Edited at: 14th Sep 2007 16:02
Maybe is more clear in this way:

Has anybody seen, on every kind of code, in some example, in some video or in every kind of way you can imagine, a vehicle created with the DB Physyx stay alone roof down after a jump or in some other way?

for me it's simply impossible.. ma I really hope that's my mistake!

(use Lucy vehicle example code, is lovely, you can change a lot of parameters, rise up the hills with vertical scale of terrain, then pump more force to the engine, the car will fly all around but NEVER stay roof down.. not in another position excpets complete wheels down.. no way! )

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2007 17:05 Edited at: 14th Sep 2007 17:08
Here you go. It's not perfect, it seems that as soon as a wheel touches the ground, it rights itself. But it's an "interesting" test - now you can spin the car 180 degrees and keep driving!

...and here's the code, it's just a modified version of Lucy's. A change to one value

Attachments

Login to view attachments
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2007 17:36 Edited at: 14th Sep 2007 17:37
..and after asking nicely, here is a version that Mike Johnson has tweaked for me.

1. "no bounce" material added to the terrain.
2. Vehicle wheel radius and height changed.

This one allows the car to land on it's side without bouncing back, as well as land on it's roof.

Mike wll be talking about this stuff at the convention in October.

Lucka
Years of Service
User Offline
That's nice!

Thank you very muche Bat!

deadlyduck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2007 12:54
Thanks a lot all.

after studying the above code, I now know by altering this line

to

I now get a much more realistic car.
I can get it stuck on its roof, side and even roll it if I try turn at too great a speed.

Thanks again for your help, there is so much still to learn
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2007 14:05
That line simply changes the centre of gravity. The original placed the centre 3/4 of the way to the ground from the physical centre. That's probably about right for a normal vehicle.

For more fun, then the second option is better, although probably not very realistic. It places it about 1/4 of the way to the ground from the physical centre.

You will also notice that the centre is pushed towards the back of the vehicle (x = -0.25). That's why the front wheels lift under full acceleration from a standing start.

Playing with these values gives all sorts of different outcomes. If you set the Y offset to -1.5, for example, you'll get a car that never rolls. In fact, it leans in to the corners against normal forces! This is a good setting for boats or items that have a counterbalance.

Lucy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2007 01:17 Edited at: 21st Sep 2007 01:17
Quote: "The original placed the centre 3/4 of the way to the ground from the physical centre. That's probably about right for a normal vehicle.
You will also notice that the centre is pushed towards the back of the vehicle (x = -0.25). That's why the front wheels lift under full acceleration from a standing start."

Well, the car is a classic beetle. I drive a 1975 Superbeetle that's built for racing with sharp turns. The point is that the classic beetles have the engine in rear, and they're more bottom heavy than most cars. This means they're more stable and less likely to flip during high speed turns.

As for not getting it to stay on its side or roof, I'm not sure how to fix that.

Nothing I say is intended to be rude. My autism means that I do not know what is rude and what isn't rude. I apologize if I seem rude. It is not my intention.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2007 10:18
It was mainly the ground being "bouncy". It kept bouncing back! I think the original weighting is about right for a "normal" car. But if you want more fun, you need less stability.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-18 04:00:27
Your offset time is: 2024-10-18 04:00:27