Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Beginning e-commerce for fpsc users

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2007 19:16
Many fpsc user intend to sell their works, be they games or media content, many will use ebay for its simplicity and ease.

I want to ask a few questions for fpsc users who are new to e-commerce.

How exactly does paypal work for selling goods?

Are sales automatic? Or do I have to forward them a link to the download? if it or I have to mail a link to buyers to download their purchased digital media, what stops the buyer telling people the link to the file they have purchased and anyone just downloading it for free?

Basically I want to know is just how this all works.
what is the sales process? How does all this work?
Cyborg ART
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2007 19:35
Some sites you upload your file and if someone buys it they got acces to the file.
Dont remember any of those sites but look around.

Visit our new website! www.bigvikinggames.tk !New Forum is up!
Follow the progress of Lost Treasures
DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
PayPal doesn't directly link to your download, but you can specify a page to go to after payment is made. I wouldn't recommend that though.

There is a company called Plimus, which let's you upload your game, sell it and the customer can download directly from their server. Plimus pays on time, but their customer service is HORRIBLE.

~Dave

Phoenix Sentry Programmer
Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2007 20:09
There is also yousendit.com. They have a free option but you can pay for more bandwidth. You have to upload it each time, and it sends a link to the download, but the download is only good for 7 days or 100 downloads. more options are available to those with a sbscription.

fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2007 20:42
Ive heard of Plimus on indie dev forums, this is good for full games I hear, I have dev content in mind, I have some nice art asset packs for fpsc I want to sell, whats the best thing for me to do? I know fpsc users sell there content online so Im sure many of you know just what is best for selling your art assets online to other fpsc users.
DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
Plimus works fine for any electronic download, large or small. I just say be wary of their customer service.

ShareIt is another one, but the fees will probably be too high for FPSC media packs.

My suggestion is to use PayPal first and handle the transactions "manually". See if you get enough sales to warrant paying for the automated services.

~Dave

fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2007 20:50
With paypal does it tell me who has bought a pack then I email the content out to them or a link, what stops them telling everyone the link to the file and people getting it for free.
Duplex
User Banned
Posted: 17th Sep 2007 21:19
Nothing, When you put the content in an installer, make it create serial keys. I to want to hear more info on this as I soon will be releasing a model pack.

Professional, afforable, what more could you want?
Get your FREE Standard Edition Today!
DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "what stops them telling everyone the link to the file and people getting it for free."

Duplex is right. Nothing.

The only way to protect your media at all is with a key. Offline keys are okay, but are just as easily shared. Online keys are the hardest to beat.

~Dave

fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2007 22:00
Should I go with an online key, my media is real nice and took a long time to make, I think the product will be very popular as its very useable.
DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2007 22:03 Edited at: 17th Sep 2007 22:05
Quote: "Should I go with an online key, my media is real nice and took a long time to make, I think the product will be very popular as its very useable."

An online key will make your installer hard to beat, but your product will be individual models, textures, sounds, etc. Once installed, they're no longer protected. I don't think there is a way to protect them either. At some point, you can only trust that your customers will do the right thing.

~Dave

fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2007 22:47
what are my options for online keys, I think I may go for one of these, as it does stop to some extent people downloading of my server content they haven't payed for, at least if someone takes the media and put it online for all to share, its media they have originally payed for, the media they are giving out for everyone that originally had to pay for and its off someone else's server, though if one just collected the money through paypal and just sent a link out to the product, then any one taking that product who has been forwarded the link could be traced and one would have a record of who had payed and how many illegal downloads there was.

I still think its best for an online key, it will also give me an insight for when I distribute games online. Though if i have to pay out for this it may not be worth it for some fpsc art assets if one has to pay out lots for an online key
DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
There are very few companies that are providing online key services at this time. Phoenix Sentry is one of them. I'm not going to create a commercial advert out of this, but you can email me or FastBurst if you like.

~Dave

fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2007 01:48 Edited at: 18th Sep 2007 02:00
I dont mind if you do a turn on how it works for online key servicing, Ill be getting Phoenix Sentry at some point for my fpsc games as Visnu games will not open on my computer, I have to run them like 40 times and try and get lucky and each time it fails I have to reboot the computer, lots of people use vishnu for fpsc games, and I cannot play them, so its not an option for me to use it.

Just had a look at your site, clicking on phoenix web app for more info doesnt work.
DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2007 02:43 Edited at: 18th Sep 2007 03:04
Some of the site links are still place-holders. FastBurst told me this afternoon that he's doing site maintenance this week. Plus we are (by we, I mean FastBurst, of course) starting coding on the fpscgames.com storefront.

Anyway, okay... We can write a program that requires an online registration key to install your media, giving you a means to track valid installs.

However, once the media is installed, it's no longer protected. You must realize that there is no easy way to give people use of raw media and protect it at the same time. Your best protection here is tracking, licensing and trust because you are right...If I buy it and register it online, why would I give it away to the masses?

This is just a thought, but we could provide some sort of encrypted tracking code embedded in your raw media file(s). If your pack or part of your pack shows up somewhere, then we could attempt to track it back to the original buyer...sort of like the chip they put in my dogs.

~Dave

fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2007 08:32
It sound like you are describing a personal job not what one of your tools does. Or is it what Phoenix Web App does?
piXX3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2007 10:22 Edited at: 18th Sep 2007 10:23
if you set up a simple website with a simple host, I recommend www.jamroll.net, then it makes it realyl easy to set up an e-commerce "shopping trolley" system.

www.ciphersoftware.co.uk
DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2007 11:31 Edited at: 18th Sep 2007 11:48
Quote: "It sound like you are describing a personal job not what one of your tools does. Or is it what Phoenix Web App does?"

We do programming to fit your needs. It's not a personal job, but may be considered a custom job. We're always looking for ways to expand our product line. And this would be a part of what the Web App does.

Anyway, like I said before, if you want to talk about this further you can email me or FastBurst.

~Dave

fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2007 19:36 Edited at: 18th Sep 2007 20:10
Quote: "if you set up a simple website with a simple host, I recommend www.jamroll.net, then it makes it realyl easy to set up an e-commerce "shopping trolley" system."

Im using website x5 as a web builder, it has a shopping features.

Dark fact, Ill send an email along with what Im doing.

Just found this
Ruby's Product Activation!
http://rpa.rubysoftware.nl/

looks like a free product activation program that works for anything, Ill have to see what it does before I comment.
fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2007 03:31 Edited at: 19th Sep 2007 04:12
I think that link for Ruby PA is only for GameMaker, so ifd forget that.

On putting prices in ones web page store, Im in the UK so I like GBP sterling. But people in other parts of the world will prefer different currencies, does one put a bunch of popular currencies, USD EUR GBP etc and pay pal handles the currecy, or does one put just one currency, the one you like, whats the deal with using pay pal for stores, what does one do here.
fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2007 21:06
DarkFact - sent you an email from your address on the fpsc boards profile.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-10 01:21:33
Your offset time is: 2024-10-10 01:21:33