Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Differences between GDK and Standard Pro

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi there, after a lil chat with some of the guys in the irc channel (thanks for the info) ive decided I will be buying DB, however im not sure what version... I WOULD like GDK however im unsure of any differences appart from the obvious one of using VSK5 (in my case),

Does everything work as it should?

Will I be able to just convert over any standard example and have it work?

I was pretty impressed at the speed of the samples from the Ultimate shader pack... would all those samples work fine in GDK?

Thanks in advance.
Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2007 11:33
Quote: "Does everything work as it should?"

Mostly it works like DBP (or 'Standard Pro').

Quote: "Will I be able to just convert over any standard example and have it work?"

Yes. Main differences for this are in the C style, variables and functions must be declared.

Quote: "I was pretty impressed at the speed of the samples from the Ultimate shader pack... would all those samples work fine in GDK?"

Yes, but you'll have to convert them, as there is no public DGDK version for this. Sometimes it is tricky with complex ones (like when you don't even know what the original code does).
Red Ocktober
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2007 11:38 Edited at: 24th Sep 2007 11:40
Quote: "Yes, but you'll have to convert them ... Sometimes it is tricky with complex ones (like when you don't even know what the original code does). "

yes... i wholeheartedly agree...

and, make sure that you are familiar with the debugger, as well... it will become your most trusted friend, helping you pin down those not so obvious causes of why a seemingly direct port just won't work... simply stepping through the code and monitoring a fre suspect variables made it suddenly obvious what was going on...

i just spent two days going through what i thought was a perfect port, trying to figure out how come the thing wouldn't work... seems i forgot to initialize several variables to zero at the start... not automatically done for you in c++ like it is in DB...

also... declaring the right data types are essential... sometimes an int will work in place of a float, and not generate an error, but the program just won't function as expected...

in short, BASIC is a lot more forgiving that c or c++... you've gotta be on your toes, and keep all four eyes open...

good luck...

--Mike
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2007 20:26
Biggest difference I recently ran into is DBPro Advanced Terrain is "TERRAIN" but is an "OBJECT" also - you can tell Sparky's DLL about it, you can intersect it, you can do anything you do to other objects with it.

Not So in DarkGDK. They separated the (advanced) Terrain from the objects - now - its only eye candy with a "Get Ground Height" function. No More collision testing - no more raycasting - just a big globby piece of eyecandy without all the cool things you could do with it in DBPro

.... So I'm making a C++ Loader for T.Ed (Terrain Editor) and a grid Landscape system with Grid/tile onscreen culling and going to use the T.Ed. (for Blitz Basic's auto fading cull) Fade Cull Parameters CullNear and CullFar in conjunction with "GRid Culling" to allow objects to get swapped to Low Poly if past the "Near" mark and Hide them if past the "Far" mark. Basically I figure if I have to make a work around - it should be a good one.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 03:16:08
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 03:16:08