Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / My newbie questions

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2007 19:37
Hi.

I don't get the difference between entities and segments. There are doors that are entities, there are doors that are segmens. Some doors are only decorative...but in the segments there are doors that can be used. So what is the exact difference?

Sorry, I don't get it.
Doggy
Years of Service
User Offline
Segments = "world"/"enviroment" objects, objects that you use to create buildings, paths and things that often do not move.

entities = objects that you use to "decorate" the world and to create some actual content. Enemies, pickups, random furnitures and objects etc are all entities.

Both segment- and entity- doors are actually entities, since only they may move around in the game's universe.

If you use the segment doors, windows and stuff, FPSC allows you to "implant" them into walls, creating a matching "hole" to that specific piece of wall so that players may walk through them. The door object itself is still a entity, so you may edit some of it's preferences by right clicking on it while in entity-mode.

The entity-doors, windows etc allow you to use these objects differently as well. You can place them anywhere you want to, which way around you want to, activate their physics so they may fall over, even create some more complex events with them.

So in short, segments = walls, floors, ceilings and stairs, + automaticly correctly placing "portal"-entities.

entities = decorations, objects that may interact around in the "world" of the game.
TGPEG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2007 20:53
Or if you need a less extensive one:
Door segments cut the hole in the wall for you to walk through, then block it with a door which you can open, and the same thing applies to windows.

[center]
The all new EG Interactive Forums.
Leander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2007 23:16
Thanks.
Leander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2007 03:28 Edited at: 22nd Sep 2007 08:39
Another question: I read the manual and watched the tutorials but I still have a problem building walls.

It*s easy to start from scratch. But in my level I did the following:

I started with the floors. I painted the floor of room 1, room 2...and another floor for room 3. Room 1 and 2 don't have walls. Room 3 should have walls. Ok, I select a "room" segment...it has both floor and wall. Then I select "paint walls only"...but still the wall AND the floor is painted. I tried and tried but the problem remained.

an example:

FFFFFF

F = floor, W = wall. All floors have already been painted. Now I want to place a wall between floor 3 and 4. And although I select "paint walls only" I always get wall and a floor so the floor that is already there is overwritten.

Please help.

EDIT I bought the program a few days ago from Amazon and at first sight it seemed fast and easy (the creation process). But now I spent hours and always have the problem that I place something...don't like it, undo it...but also adjacent walls disappear although they should remain there. I'm building a house.
The outside wall should be something. The inside wall of the room in the house should be something. Sometimes it works and inside and outside are correct. But then when drawing the inside the outside of the house is changed, too. Sometimes only one wall is selected, sometimes both...I have to add that I don't use prefabs nor segment mode. I draw floors and walls manually.
Please help how the building of rooms works. Sometimes it works but then something screws everything up and I have to redo the same room again and again.

Another problem are some windows and doors. I place a wall. I select a door. But when playing the game the outer door textures flicker. Or the parts of two textures flicker where they touch.
Leander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2007 02:25
Hi. Sorry but I have some other questions:

1) Error 7001...wrong line in mesh or something. I searched the forum but couldn`t find anything helpful.
I get this error only with downloaded content, user-created (fpsfree). e.g. Buckethead`s segments.

2) There is a small tool you can close FPS editor and game if it hangs up. It was posted somewhere but I can`t find it anymore. Do you know where it is?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-10 01:18:06
Your offset time is: 2024-10-10 01:18:06