Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Noob Questions

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2007 05:46
I've been looking through this site and I am surprised I hadn't discovered it before.

I have three noob questions ...

(1) I am having difficulty understanding the use of GDK.Net. On one page in implies that I can only use GDK.Net with C++ but on another it says I can use it with C# Studio Express. I have Visual Studio 2005 Professional and develop exclusively in C#. Can I use C# with GDK.Net or must I use C++?

On the main "Game Development" page, GDK.Net implies you can only use C++. But then if I click "Product Information" it implies C# is supported.

(2) The purchase/use of other add-ons. They always describe it as "additional commands", however, if I'm running GDK.Net, can I assume I'm buying a library of classes and methods? Specifically I'm looking at the the "eXtends" add-on.

(3) The tool AC3D has the ability to sub-divide a series of primitive shapes. Is this ability resident only within AC3D or does it exist within the GDK or some other add-on?

Thanks in advance,
- El
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2007 06:16
Either. Pick what you want carefully when you buy it. Two Flavors: DarkGDK C++ and DarkGDK C#

Both are supported.

#2 - I don't know - I use C++.

#3 - No idea.

kBessa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2007 07:28
1) The original one is for C++, just pick up the DarkGDK.NET version, as you said you are exclusively a C# developer (just like me).

2) The addons are exclusively for DBPro. About extends, one of its systems, the Dynamic Media Handling has a better replacement if you use my LightEngine plugin for DGDK.NET, as it also adds full OOP to it. Better info on www.lightorb.net.
Also, I'm working on a GUI plugin that will also contain bitmap font handling (replacement for XGui System and XFont System). About other systems on eXtends, there's nothing else similar I'm planning to work with this time, but most of the others are not THAT difficult to implement.

3) I didn't get this one right, but if it is what I undestood, DGDK.NET can identify every limb (subsets, like Head, Torso, Arms, etc. in a humam model for example.) on a 3D model and you are allowed to make small changes to each separately.

Hope I could help, anything else, plenty of people here will try to help.

Best regards,
Thiago
Elenesski
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2007 07:55
Re #3: Background. The game I am trying to write simulates thousands of very huge machines consisting of tens of thousands of internal parts in real-time. These machines are then wrapped in a skin. What I'm looking to do is create the machine, wrap it in boxes, then what I'm looking for is to be able to call a method that "allows you to easily design smooth objects using simple underlying structures", as described here: http://www.thegamecreators.com/?f=ac3d.

The question is, do I have access to a class/method that can do this automatically the way the AC3D program does it, or do I have write this kind of logic myself?

- El
Try
Years of Service
User Offline
I have a question too, I own DGDK C++ version and am looking forward to purchase DGDK.Net as well; can I use it with VB.Net or it's just for C#???

Cheers,
-Try
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2007 13:57 Edited at: 22nd Sep 2007 14:01
Excuse me, let me intervene here because there's clearly confusion on all parts.

There are two (2) products available for purchase. Each product is separate from the other.

1. DarkGDK (Not DarkGDK.NET) Is tailored for developing games using C++ only. It's supported by Visual Studio 2005 suite of tools, including Visual C++ Express but you DO need to download the PlatformSDK as well as Express in order to use it with the Express version of Visual C++. If you have Visual Studio 2005 Professional, then you only need to install the DirectX SDK.

2. DarkGDK.NET is designed specifically for CSharp.NET AND Visual Basic.NET. DarkGDK.NET is the exact same core graphics engine that the above product uses, but it's encapsulated into a COM (Component Object Model) binary so that it can be used via the .NET interop layer. So with C# and VB.NET, you would reference the toolkit like any other COM or .NET assembly. With this flavour, you do not need to download the DirectX SDK, only the runtime (End Redistributable)

Both toolkits have their own product information pages on TGC's website, so if you go to the DarkGDK main page, you can get to the .NET version by using the link to it on the right side of the product page.

When purchasing, make sure you choose the correct product because you don't get both with your purchase.

Paul.

Try
Years of Service
User Offline
APEXnow,
Thank you Paul, I have another question for you if you please.

I haven't seen any demo of your DGDK.NET, I want to know about GUI implementations, should I code them? or I can actually take the advantages of the VISUAL part of C#.Net and VB.Net, WinForms, etc.

Cheers,
-Try
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2007 15:38
you can use winforms for .NET like you would any other .net app

ac3d is a stand-alone 3d modelling app and has nothing to do with dgdk or dgdk.net

My DBP plugins page is now hosted [href]here[/href]
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2007 16:19
You may want to look around a bit. Some people have made Windows Apps with "DarkGDK.NET" drawing in a picture box - allowinf both regular gui controls on the same form - but for within the 3d "camera" people do various things and its often a topic of discussion here. Some use Blue GUI I think its called - an add on - with some "wizardry" I think you can call DirectX gui stuff - but usually people write their own. Its up to you. There are quite a few options.

Elenesski
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2007 20:58
Well, regardless of what the underlying model/library is, I always take a decoupled approach. So I would be writing my own layer.

Going back to the COM issue .. I have to wonder about performance, and whether the library is object-oriented. Reading an earlier post by kBessa implied they had to/wanted to write their own OO layer.

Is there such a library for GDK (or any plans) or is it essentially a COM library that makes DirectX calls?
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2007 21:39
Quote: "So I would be writing my own layer"
a lot of us do this - and is what kBessa is doing I think as well.

Basically a whole game engine. If it was only DirectX calls - we'd not be here. We'd use directX straight up. It has routines to load objects from various 3d file formats, sound files, music files, has binary partitioning, built in terrain engine (of course ability to do your own), stuff make lighting easier - call outs to shader's etc. Manipulate libs pretty easy.

My Wrapper just makes some things easier to find rather than memory all the time - not to mention certain helper things - to maybe "Connect the Dots" or make common tasks into single step versus multiple calls - (unless desired) etc.

I'd go grab the demos and stuff and look at the performance. Best performance: DarkGDK, Middle: DarkGDK.NET, Slower: Dark Basic Pro, Slowest: DarkBasic Classic

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 03:24:19
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 03:24:19