Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Wet Dwarf

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2007 21:01 Edited at: 27th Sep 2007 21:15
though there's still some work left to do, my lil gdk OOP engine is coming along nicely...

i've got the following classes working...

Game
Player
View
Sky
GameObject (the spinning Cube is a test instance of this class)
AnimObject (derived from Game Object - the Elf is a test instance of this class)Water (still gotta adjust speed of realtime wave action)

the water is using Evolved Shader code and the dwarf is one of Psionic's models (i think), just a placeholder for testing...

--Mike
Niels Henriksen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2007 00:35
I like the water

But looking very good...

Niels Henriksen
Working on a (MMO)RPG right now in LightEngine
http://noggs.netopcom.dk/forum/default.asp - Forum for the game
Red Ocktober
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2007 02:07 Edited at: 27th Sep 2007 02:08
thx Niels... to be honest though, it's Evolved's water... i just added some code to make some waves... still gotta slow that down a bit...

and i added some fog to the scene... the shader doesn't take fog into account, but, because it uses the scene for reflections, if there's fog in there when the reflect and refract cams are doing their thing, then it seems to color the water properly...(that's why the scene looks foggy, i added some just to test it)...

the biggest pain was translating the basic code to c++ and keeping track of the different variables and object and mesh and cam numbers... but so far, the lil number factory i use for those things seems to be working ok...

gonna work on it more tommorrow... after i clean up a few things with this, i'll add some bumpmapping shader stuff, then i should be about ready to test some of my own scenery stuff...

--Mike
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2007 03:17
Niels Henriksen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2007 13:14
I know the work by changeing the original code from DBP. Im looking in codesnippets forum and are copying code from there to my game..

I have a lot of code I need to change to .NET

Niels Henriksen
Working on a (MMO)RPG right now in LightEngine
http://noggs.netopcom.dk/forum/default.asp - Forum for the game
unitech
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey Mike looking good, can;t wait to see some wave action.
Pixel Perfect
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2007 15:22
Great work Mike, it's really encouraging to see so many people working on GDK projects and really achieving things! It gives me confidence in going down the DARKGDK route.

.. Ian

No matter how good your code is, someone will improve on it
Red Ocktober
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2007 17:03 Edited at: 27th Sep 2007 17:03
thx again guys... i appreciate the comments...

keep in mind though, that if it weren't for the contributions Evolved made, i'd not be able to even approach this point for quite a while... and with that in mind, when i get this close to done, i'll most likely post the code in order to save others the time translating it over...

... keep in mind though, it's gonna be OO and closely tied to the engine i'm working, so there's going to be a lot of non standard stuff (for example, the entire decalration and implementation are in a single file)that a seasoned OOP coder will take exception to... also, there are a lot of references to my Game class, in the code... but it still should be easy enough to flesh these out and adapt em to your own implementation.

--Mike
unitech
Years of Service
User Offline
I think with little alteration it should mesh in with anyone that had written OO code before. Thats is if they learn OO style correctly. Mike here is a stickler when it comes to coding IMO. Good coder to example from.

Good to here it mike I know ill benefit form it.
Red Ocktober
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2007 21:18 Edited at: 27th Sep 2007 21:22
made a lil progress today... i got the real time waves in and slowed down... still gotta look at some small things, but for the most part, this is pretty much what it's gonna look like...

i replaced the original vid with a new one... click here http://home.att.net/~mikey102/MyFirst2.wmv or click above on the original link above to view the short video...

(i took out the fog and stopped the dwarf's animation so you could get a better view of the wave motion in the latest vid)

--Mike
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2007 22:22
PostalCOW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2007 05:03
Looks great! Nice work!

Those hills in the background is that an actual terrain or is it a camera backdrop?

Requirements for life: Food-Water-Video Games!
unitech
Years of Service
User Offline
It's a sky box that comes with GDK.
egyption
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2007 10:23
thanks

good man egyption
Cerafem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2008 04:07
The reflection is wrong, it should change as the water rises and falls (from a realism point of view, it may not be practical)

---

-Agent Toaster Productions

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 03:20:16
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 03:20:16