Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Please help me with walls, I just can't handle them

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2007 06:03
Walls. I can't handle them.
I played around with FPSC but can't get the result I want to have.

I want to build a house. It is surrounded by a garden. The exterior walls of the house should be bricks. I pick a segment. I press M to paint only walls.

I paint only the walls that surround the house. Now I have the garden and only the house's exterior walls. But all walls I paint consist of two walls. An outer and inner piece of wall. The outer piece is bricks. Then I want to decorate a room inside of the house. When segment mode is on, the exterior walls of the house (bricks) are destroyed. I don't want to destroy the frame. So I press F for floors. I can paint the middle of a room. But I can't link the room and the exterior walls.

WWWWWWWWWW
W...1....W
WffffffffW
W........W
WWWWWWWWWW

W = exterior wall
. = nothing
F = floor
1 = position of an example.
Walls (w) are painted. Floors (f) too. "." are holes. How do I paint these pieces? If I use segments the walls are destroyed. But if I press F for floors and want to change . to f the inner wall of w is changed as well. Although I press f not only the floor is painted but the floor is painted AND the interior wall is changed.

PLease help, this is driving me nuts. I select a room segment and want to paint the exterior wall of the house. Then I want to decorate the room...and the walls should NOT be the interior wall default. So I want to use a room segment...use only its exterior wall...and use another room segment for floor and interior wall.

Do you know what I mean?

Homepage? Click on "Web" below.
Leander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2007 06:07
Sorry the "picture" didn't work.

When I have my walls and I paint the floor with a floor marked O (overlay) it works. But I want to use a segment...and only the floor of this segment WITHOUT walls being changed, deleted and so on.

Or is this impossible in FPSC?

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Suggest you download the segment kit,you could use a stock segment which has inner and outer walls and texture these to suit.

It may also be the way you are placing your walls you should lay down the inner segments and when placing the outer wall,rotate to the outside.If doing this ensure that the outer wall segment isn't a double wall as well or it may replace the inner,if you get what I mean.

Ross tra damus
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2007 15:44 Edited at: 28th Sep 2007 15:47
To acheive the results that you are after, you really should create your own room segments with the textures that you would like to see in this 'home' of yours.
There are programs which can be used to do this which are either Free or cheap to buy.
'Segment kit' (which has already been mentioned} can be found under the 'files' tab on the FPSCreator main page.
'Firma' segment creator can be found in this Forum somewhere, just use search function at bottom of page.
Other programs you could search for are called 'Signs' or 'Magik FPS' which are both very good programs to use but you will have to buy.
Some are easy to use and some not so easy. I use 'Signs' which I find very easy to use plus it has many other features of great interest.

As far as the floor problem goes you will have to create a 'custom' FPS file for this but I suggest that you learn to create the room segments first and understand the use of the FPS files before you go changing anything in order to create a custom file.

I hope this helps
Leander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2007 18:18
Thanks for your replies.

Well, Firma doesn't work. I always get an error "path not found". But I can't find a way to change settings so the program will find my path.

1) In brief, can I combine the floor of segment 1 with the walls of segment 2 in FPSC? Or doesn't it work in general? (would be an explanation why it doesn't work here).

2) When I place a wall two walls are painted. Inside and outside. Sometimes, when clicking around and doing and undoing things I get only one wall. Or when I have a room with two walls and just paint a wall to decorate the interior wall of this room it works for all walls except for corners. Here the exterior wall remains there but the interior isn't replaced but deleted. Then I only have the exterior wall left.

How can I select whether I want to draw the inner or outer wall? It only works very seldomly how I want it to be. Most of the time I can only delete both. Two walls are there...or none. Two...or none. But how can I paint only ONE?

Leander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2007 22:49
I made two screenshots so you can see what I mean.

1) I want to use the walls of 1...and only the walls without the floor.
2) I want to use the floor of 2, without the walls. I want to combine 1 and 2.
3)I want to build a room, like 3. I press M and paint only the walls.
4) This room should have the walls 3 and the floor 4.

5) I press F to paint only the floor. Piece 5 is ok as it is in the middle of the room.
6) But when I want to paint the floor the walls change as well (6). Although I press F to paint only floors the walls are changed as well.

I really tried and tried but simply can't get it to work. I can't combine 3 and 4, I can't insert the floor 4 into walls 3.

IS there a way to achieve this?

If yes, how? If not it's strange. With the functions "paint only walls" and "paint only floor" I immediately think of a combination of rooms...that this is possible.

TGPEG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2007 23:11
Yes, FPSC has always been picky with segments. I wish lee had put walls/floors and stuff seperate rather than one DBPro model.

[center]
The all new EG Interactive Forums.
Leander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2007 01:51
So it doesn't work?

I'm currently creating my first game...a multiplayer arena I can play with friends. The arena is a house, surrounded by a garden. You see the exterior walls of the house that should be the same on all sides (e.g. brick wall).

In the house there are several rooms, on three layers: ground floor, first floor, cellar. The exterior walls of the house should be bricks while the interior walls DIFFER as there are several rooms. How can I do that? I have problems creating a room next to another one...in the corners walls are changed or disappear when I create a new room (wall only mode). And then the exterior wall is often deleted and I have to redo alot. How can I build my house?

Wait, I'll attach a picture.

Black = exterior wall of the house. The same on all sides.
R1, R2... = rooms
All rooms have unique interior walls BUT the same black exterior wall of the house.

Between two rooms there is only ONE wall.

How can I get this to work?

I have always two walls between two rooms. Then I delete walls...sometimes I manage to have only one wall. But when I paint this one wall in the room's corners the adjacent walls change as well. And everyhing is messed up.
And I do have to use wall mode because if I used segments the exterior walls of the rooms would differ.

Goodman84
Years of Service
User Offline
nice digram

hey
Trebor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2007 02:36
Have you tried painting the floors first, and then the walls?

No matter where you go, there you are.
Leander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2007 15:27
Yes I tried.

I painted floor 1.
Then floor 2.
Then added walls...3.
The outer wall stayed. Perfect.

But then I wanted to replace the inner wall only. Press M. And what happened? The outer wall stayed there (good) but in addition to the inner wall also the floor was changed...4.
When I deleted the floor after pressing F and adding another floor the wall changed. So I can't get it to work.

Ross tra damus
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2007 18:00 Edited at: 29th Sep 2007 18:02
This is how FPSCreator works.
You should create your own room segments and floor segments with a different program which has 'already' been mentioned before.

I recomend 'Signs' because it has many options on ways to create rooms,one of them being able to create rooms 'without' exterior walls. You can also create 'single' walls and floors which can then be placed wherever you want.
TIP when using Signs:
Create rooms with no exterior walls (interior textures used only).
Then,Create a single wall/walls with the texture for your exterior.
Then,just add the exterior wall/walls to the exterior of your rooms when in the editor of FPSCreator.
I have tested this and it works PRETTY GOOD.

It is possible to create 'Floors' which do not interact with a room's walls.
To do this you will have to create a single floor segment and then edit it's FPS file.
EDIT the FPS file as follows:
Go down to the last section in the FPS file which is titled 'segment blueprint' and change all of the existing values to a sum of '0'
Now the floor will not interact with the walls but you will have to 'remove' any flooring in place already before applying your new floor segments. A plus to this method is that you can now mix n match different floors in a room with ease.
NOTE - There is just one drawback by using this method for floors which is that 'enemy' characters will not be able to move around on them (something to do with AI).

I do recomend using a third party utility for the creation of rooms, simply for the fact that it will help you to create the kind of rooms which you want to see.

I hope this has helped.
Leander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2007 19:11
Thanks. I got Firma to work so I can try a few things with it.

Signs? Do you mean this one?
http://www.fpsconline.com/Products.asp

What about the segment editor that can be downloaded on fpscreator.com -> files?

Stoopid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2007 19:19
Trust me. Signs is easier.

Quote: "Signs? Do you mean this one?
http://www.fpsconline.com/Products.asp"

Yes. That one.

Ross tra damus
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2007 20:56
Yes, thats the address of 'Signs' which you will find the program at.
Signs is capable of many things and above all it is very easy to get to grips with. I think that there is a free demo version which you can download and check out but I do recomend that you look at the manual supplied with it. Signs also comes with a 'custom' feature for its users to create their own templates.
(Note-'settings' in this program is very important)

I have tried the 'segment creator' and found that very hard to learn and fiddly, although there are some tutorials being made for this by 'X Games' in the Forum at the moment.

Handy tip- If you do create your own rooms with a third party utilitie program, such as Signs, remember to backup any FPS file before you try to change any of the values within it.

Hope you have luck and above all, fun.
Leander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2007 22:13
Thanks. I downloaded the demo version of Signs. Pretty cool. I can add my own paintings to the game. I'll buy Signs.

Are you allowed to create own stuff with Signs and sell it?

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 29th Sep 2007 22:14
Yes.

I'm sorry, my answers are limited. You must ask the right question.

TGPEG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2007 23:50
xplosys you forgot to say best. I'm shocked!

[center]
The all new EG Interactive Forums.
Leander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2007 01:57
It's me again. Problem: when I paint a room with segment 1 (ww2 hall low), next to it a room with segment 2 (ww2 bunker low) there are no walls at all. So I press M, paint the wall...and then there are two walls that seperate the rooms. Often, the corners are fu... up...the textures flicker (depends on the walls).

Then I place a window (ww2 window hole) between the two rooms. In my example it works. But with other walls the window flickers. Maybe because the walls are too thick? Two walls -> it sometimes works. Two walls -> they are often too thick. But how can I have two rooms seperated only by ONE wall?

After clicking around for minutes I had this result but it was coincidence.

Ross tra damus
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2007 03:13
Fpscreator has a fixed way of building rooms which covers many ways of doing things but as you can see it is not perfect. This is half the reason why you should create your own content..rooms,textures ect.
I think that the problem your getting with the ww2 media is that the meshes (.X) files used for either of the walls are of different shape. This can cause problems sometimes.
Some of the FPSCreator room segments have a 'random texture' feature which changes the textures around at random sometimes which can also be a pain. Not all walls are of the same thickness as you will find out so this could also be a bit of a problem at times.

At the end of the day, there are workarounds to these issues especialy when you can create your own content and I think its all part of the fun of using FPSCreator.

Good to see you trying things.

I hope I have helped and good luck.
Leander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2007 14:03
Thanks Ross. To be honest I'm a bit disappointed with FPSC. An important salespoint is the editor. It is said to be easy to handle, flexible and precise. With such a description it would be essential that any wall can be used with any floor.

FPSC is still good but not that perfect for guys like me who don`t want to use prefabs and create something inside the program`s limits.

I have an idea, a vision and this very vision must be created. I don`t want to use some segment, some wall...but this very wall combined this very window, floor and so on.

But I am going to buy Signs IV soon. Have to wait till money is transfered to my Paypal account.
In the meantime I have fun with the demo version. I really love creating signs with Signs. Now I can have my own photos as paintings in FPSC.

Ross tra damus
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2007 18:02
Yep, Signs is cool.

FPSCreator is a program that 'grows' on you the more you use and experiment with it.
It will either 'make you or break you'.

It's a lot of fun at times though.

All the best of luck
Leander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2007 01:43
Ok, I have Signs. But my problems remains. I can create walls, I can create rooms with one or two walls. I create the exterior wall with one wall (overlay)...or in wall mode using a room. Paint it from one side...or the other...no matter how I do it - everything disappears when I want to build a room inside the house.

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

H = house wall. Outer wall. It should stay there.
R = room wall. Inner wall.

When I paint a room wall the house wall is gone.

How can I do that? Is it really the ONLY way to create all my walls myself? My idea is so simple, I want to have one and the same brickwall on the outside and some rooms inside the house.

Leander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2007 02:00
I tried it with self-created walls. Overlays. Wall overlay on the inner and outer side. The combination works but then doors and windows won't work.

Come on, do I really want something so special? It's the most basic feature an editor should have. Ok, maybe FPSC focuses on dungeons and not on a garden with a house in it that has again several rooms in it.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-10 01:22:33
Your offset time is: 2024-10-10 01:22:33