Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / [LOCKED] Piracy on the High Seas...

Author
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2007 07:12
Alright guys, I think we've all had our fill of the subject. I just deleted a thread in the Models and Media board that not only suggested (again) that a well known member here was partaking in Piracy...but the member's name was actually in the title of the thread!

I'd like to personally apologize to this member for all the recent behaviour that has gone on here; it shouldn't have gone on as long as it has.

Having said that; this all started out as a well-intentioned crusade to help diminish the influence of piracy of digital media. I still think this can be salvaged.

Accusations need to be kept private. Even if there's "rock-solid" evidence that someone is pirating media/software...it needs to be kept off of the main forums here and steered towards the proper channels (ie., TGC, a site dedicated to such issues, or the relevent publisher of said media/software).

I'm going to leave this sticky open for discussion, but it will be locked and allowed to die soon. Again, no names or clever little "word-puzzles" giving someone's name. Keep it to e-mails, etc.

-Keith

Goodman84
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2007 07:25 Edited at: 29th Sep 2007 07:25
Sounds fair I gusse! (MY FIRST POST IN A STICKY YEA!)

hey
TGPEG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2007 09:30 Edited at: 29th Sep 2007 09:31
I'm still carrying on with the project, but I doubt the subject takes a good reception here, so me and crispex are working to set up a site, to which we have a mission statement (which can be viewed on the Enough is Enough thread) and we are only going to announce it here when it is fully working.

No doubt someone will have a problem, but we can't cater for everyone's individual tastes. That's what happened last time, and look what that turned into.

[center]
The all new EG Interactive Forums.
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2007 17:01 Edited at: 29th Sep 2007 17:03
Believe me it's not the subject which upsets others,but the way some folks have been handling it.
Your mission is to be applauded but you have to accept it when someone disagrees with your methods,the knee jerk reaction seems to be that if your not with us then your against us.
The thread that Kieth referred to was really sad,and since someone said they had dealt with the imposter then as this torrent was obviously still live last night then the methods dont work.
There are more professional bodies set up to deal with this kind of thing and I dont think they are given the privileges claimed by certain individuals on these forums, reporting it would have more impact than trying to deal with it yourselves.
This has nothing to do with individual tastes.
I would have not said anything before now concerning this but I wont see good folk have their name dragged through the crap.

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2007 20:39
I agree completely with Rolfy

Vote today and play the games!
SamHH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2007 21:02
I agree completely with Airslide and Rolfy.

TGPEG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2007 21:43 Edited at: 29th Sep 2007 23:58
I agree with Airslide, i want to game, and Rolfy.

Quote: "I still think this can be salvaged."

Thats a shame. I don't think it can any more.

In the interest of forum preservation, TGCPG is out of business.

It has got to the stage now where I am getting confilicting suggestions from all manner of people (even from people who are not a member of these forums) and I can't please them all. No matter what I do, someone is upset, and feels I'm not listening.

The organisation has managed to gather a bad name for itself. Maybe because of me, I don't know. But there are some who want to play pirate police and some who want to play the good Samaritan. I can't please both.

It was a brilliant idea to begin with, but as is the way of all things, the good idea went around, at some point formed into an snarling doberman and bit me in the butt. I'm not having it any more.

If people feel that they can carry it on, then fine, do so.

But I have had enough.

DarkFact, crispex. I'll get in contact with you when you come on the EGI forums.

Thank you everyone for your help. It was a good idea while it lasted.

[center]
The all new EG Interactive Forums.
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2007 00:13
Quote: "No matter what I do, someone is upset,"

Just goes to show you can't please everyone, and in trying you please no one

Vote today and play the games!
crispex
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Thats a shame. I don't think it can any more.

In the interest of forum preservation, TGCPG is out of business.

It has got to the stage now where I am getting confilicting suggestions from all manner of people (even from people who are not a member of these forums) and I can't please them all. No matter what I do, someone is upset, and feels I'm not listening.

The organisation has managed to gather a bad name for itself. Maybe because of me, I don't know. But there are some who want to play pirate police and some who want to play the good Samaritan. I can't please both.

It was a brilliant idea to begin with, but as is the way of all things, the good idea went around, at some point formed into an snarling doberman and bit me in the butt. I'm not having it any more.

If people feel that they can carry it on, then fine, do so.

But I have had enough.

DarkFact, crispex. I'll get in contact with you when you come on the EGI forums.

Thank you everyone for your help. It was a good idea while it lasted.
"

NO! It's not over! Piracy is winning, but we must strike back! Don't let a few members get you down! WE WILL FIGHT!

Temporarly away from the Phoenix Sentry.
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 30th Sep 2007 02:27 Edited at: 30th Sep 2007 02:37
Over? Nothing is over until we say it is. Was it over when the Germans bombed Peark Harbor? Hell no! And it ain't over now. Who's with me?

Toga! Toga! Toga!

LOL.

Quote: "I'm going to leave this sticky open for discussion, but it will be locked and allowed to die soon."

I'm guessing that the time is near.

Best.

I'm sorry, my answers are limited. You must ask the right question.

Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2007 02:38
I think with the legal tools that Reality Forgotten has provided, the fight will never stop, because now we all have use of them. the problem with forum members forming'organizations' to fight piracy just won't work primarily because what most forum members will judge the 'organization' on is past deeds and unchecked misinformation. Don't think the fight against piracy has stopped just because you don't have something with your name attatched to it. It's just a simple fact that trust on the net is hard to come by. Nobody trust a flyby night thrown together group of people when there is already a legal working system that needs to be utilized instead of (quoting some one else on this matter) re inventing the wheel. It shouldn't be left to a small group of people anyway. It should be left up to every individual. If you see piracy happening you should report it be it your media or your neighbors. Report it and leave the investigations up to the legally sanctioned professionals so that false and often premature accusations won't happen in public to soil the name of the often falsely accused, as well as soiling the name of the person who is doing the accusing. How do you think the public views the accuser after they accuse someone and they are found innocent? Not very well. Trust has disappeared from that persons name. Both the accuser and the accused, and more often just because of a personal grudge. Is that what this forum needs? More of that type of exposeure? As I said before, it should be everyones responsibilaty to fight piracy, not a few self proclaimed defenders whos knowlage of the legality of their actions is left to be desired. You also have to be aware of every single individual countries laws concearning this, since this is a multi national forum. I can't even begin to count how many places all the forum members hail from. So what I'm saying is everyone should use the legal tools already set in place, the need for what could become "witch hunters" is not warrented.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2007 02:55
Well, I made Dave's thread a sticky (and locked it)...even though I never got a request to do so....

I'm just going to unsticky this one now.

-Keith

Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2007 03:01
Good move, we can all benifit from the information there.

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2007 03:08
Quote: "Over? Nothing is over until we say it is. Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no! And it ain't over now. Who's with me?

Toga! Toga! Toga!

LOL."

Haha!

crispex
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Over? Nothing is over until we say it is. Was it over when the Germans bombed Peark Harbor? Hell no! And it ain't over now. Who's with me?

Toga! Toga! Toga!

LOL.
"

Wow you got you're history messed up! lol

Temporarly away from the Phoenix Sentry.
drew4663
Years of Service
User Offline
HAHAHA....Germans.....pffftt....bombi...AHAHAHA....*sigh::wipes tears*

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-10 01:23:45
Your offset time is: 2024-10-10 01:23:45