Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / [ Text Adventure Compo ] Wartorn: Jarod's Fall

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2007 03:51 Edited at: 1st Oct 2007 08:44
Download the Full Game by clicking the below button.

Read the Readme file as it acts as disclaimer as well.

Background Story
Quote: "We write the year 976 after the tertiary expansion from the Orion Arm of the galaxy. Humanity has long-since abandoned home, forgotten it's orgins. However busy Sol may still seem, the small, orbiting terrestial planet which we once knew as Earth; orbits now dead and barren around the old star, and is conveniently classified as Sol C. Humanity has moved onwards, outwards, into the everexpanding reaches of human colonisation.

In lead of the expansion is the Allegiance, the military faction of the United Federation of the Human Race, the UFHR. The UFHR, founded during the primary expansion has been in charge of expansion, funds and laws on all human colonized planets. During the last few years of the second expansion, a military coup efficiently destructurized the UFHR, creating the Allegiance as it is now known - with it's headquarters on Sol D, or better known as Mars.

Standing against this mutiny is a group of rebellious planets who together form the resistance, weak and fragile; Honoring the UFHR by aliasing themselves the same, the United Federation of Human Remnants, or for short, the Remnants. Led by a small group of Soldiers, unhumanly skilled and psykineticly gifted, the Remnants grew slowly over the last century.

For over 900 years, the war has raged on political, military and economic fronts. Some periods have been quiet, during negotiations, treaties, boycots and politics. Other centuries were centuries of war, in which a man could be born during war, and die without ever knowing peace.

The Allegiance, in response to the succes of the Remnants with their Soldier programme, started an own Soldier programme in the year 844. The second generation of Soldiers is now being trained by veterans, and the result shows. For the first time in centuries, the Allegiance holds the most powerful weapon available, an exceptional, defecting Remnant Soldier by the name of Vaug, trained by the legendary Damian Ultair.

Vaug quickly uses his knowledge of the location of Remnant Soldiers and starts to kill them off one by one. Several go into hiding and disappear from the scene completely. Until now. Several young Soldiers in training by Remnant Soldiers in hiding defect, resulting in a new killing spree. One of the victims is another legendary Soldier. Vaug goes there personally, and finishes his victim by ruthlessly killing a defenseless man. But without knowing, Vaug leaves his victims' son with a heritage that could rise this 19 years old boy to powers far above Vaugs capabilities without the kid knowing it. His name? Jarod."

Fragment, First, Chapter 1 - How it all ends.
Quote: "Jarod caught quick glimpses of the slaughterfield around him. Thousands of soldiers, armed either with guns or swords fought on the piles of bodies below their feet. Above him, the aerial combat continued as fiercely as it had suddenly began. He deflected a swordblow of one of his aggressors, then spun around in unmatched agility to jump over a blow of the other attacker in a single split second."

Description
Wartorn: Jarod's Fall is my entry for the 2007 Text Adventure Competition by Matt Rock. It is a Interactive Fiction game playing in a fictional universe and explains the war between the Allegiance and the Remnants. Humans have colonized most of this galaxy's arm and are expanding beyond. This expansion rises tensions among the human race under the rule of the Allegiance. The Remnants are a resistance group which heavily relies on specially gifted people, the so-called Soldiers. Jarod is a young adolescent, and a Soldier, gifted with aura's and psykinetic powers. In the Wartorn universe, medieval weaponry, magic, technology and science-fiction mix into a seamless and convincing universe.

The Wartorn universe is based upon a trilogy written by no-one less but me. Until I finish book 3, however, I'll not be releasing any of the stories to avoid flaws in the story.

Technicalities
Wartorn: Jarod's Fall is a DarkBASIC Classic project being written in my spare time. There are no plugins, dll's enhancements or the like being used. I'm keeping to the Text Competition's rules, even if I cannot be an official contender due to being employed by MISoft Studios, the organisators of the contest. The project is a spare-time project for me to create an as playable game as possible within limited rules. The program is over 3000 lines, and most of these lines get quite close to the 255 character limit.

Gameplay
Wartorn: Jarod's Fall is a menu-driven text adventure, set in the last battle for control of the Terran sector between the largest political factions in a fictional future. The player advances through four chapters in the story: Approach, Battle, Awakening and Showdown. Each of these chapters will have another priority.

Spoiler: Chapter descriptions

Media

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2007 05:45
Very nice . I like the new interface a lot more, a lot easier to read . If you weren't disqualified, I'd say you'd have a good chance of winning the compo with this .

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2007 05:48 Edited at: 4th Oct 2007 05:48
Haha, naah. I've seen Duality and Escape from Alendar. Although I think my interface looks most crispy of both games, I think Duality's ingame writing is much better than mine and your realtime concept is much more unique than mine.

Don't forget to allow to turn off that map in EfA!

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2007 10:03
Hmmm. Doesn't work in Vista (even in XP compatibility mode). Is this a DBC game? Might be worth upgrading to the new version that is mentioned in the latest news letter to allow Vista to work correctly.

Haven't the time now to switch to XP. Work soon... Doh... Will see if can do later.

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
Current fave quote : "She was like a candle in the wind.... unreliable...."
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2007 10:15
No matter. It kept asking for d3drm.dll. So I googled it, downloaded it, and plonked it into the Wartorn directory. Works ok now. I have the latest directX 9 and 10, but I'm guessing it's for an older directX that DBC uses (7 perhaps?). Might be worth including for Vista people. Worked fine for me after that (Vista Ultimate).

Looking a fair bit better than the betas. I like how the chapters fade in and out. Nice.

Only downside I could mention is that you still get the odd time when you are sitting there with a blank screen and have to press return to continue (and it doesn't say anything on screen) after already pressing return on a page of text. It's not anywhere as bad as the beta, but it still happens now and again.

Good stuff though. Makes me wish I hadn't got screwed up with holidays/work/birds over the last few months and actually got DarkMUD sorted out. At the minute you can walk around with *potentially* unlimited people in the same domain and talk to them, but I want to at least implement a combat system, location image download, and simple location creator (for your own MUD adventure) before I release a beta. May go with the first two and leave the creator for later. Damn, have to go back to work soon...

Cheers

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2007 14:49
Ah right! I'll add d3drm.dll to the .rar file.

I've been trying to hunt most of those double enters - was really some terrible programming from me at the beginning of this project. About halfway I figured it was terrible and started cleaning the code. Almost succesfully, but the additional black screen is more occasional than normal now.

Thanks for the comment, Dazzag. Honestly, I was getting depressed from the number of reactions, lol.

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2007 15:36
Yeah, sorry, have been *really* busy... Had to even speed read when testing really. Wish I had more time to play it properly

Anyhows now looks even more polished. And it was pretty polished before. Nice. Best thing in it is the way it dynamically changes things. You know like at the start and going somewhere makes going somewhere else different. Fair enough is pretty much the same as text adventures where you can use one object with another (or having an object effects the location), but is good to see. And Wartorn does it particularly well in a more story based way rather than your typical "An exit is to the west" that appears when you have magical sword of Fnarr.

Cheers

Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2007 21:56
I've been playing this when I'm not busy making my eyes bleed from working on Duality... hehe, no, I love it really.

Wartorn is a very good game, though: the idea of simulating a battle in such a straightforward way, and using text, is really something special that I've not seen before.

But, I have questions:
Is there an options screen (eg. to turn on the graphical HUD, save or load)?
How do you heal? I've just got out of my first fight and not looking too pretty, but the supply tent says there's nothing to do there and, upon entering another battle and checking my items (thinking perhaps I had a medpack or something) I found that I was carrying empty, empty and more empty!

But, this really is a very impressive, immersive and interesting game. Good work!

I'm not actually a Kiwi, I just randomly thought it up one day.
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2007 00:59 Edited at: 8th Oct 2007 01:00
Hehe, the supply tent will sómetime provide you with healing, sómetimes with ammo and sometimes with... some other stuff . If you're low on health, play defensive.

The option menu is available by entering option 9, which you could've seen if you watched the first three turns .

Finally, thanks for your comments!

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2007 01:21
Quote: "the idea of simulating a battle in such a straightforward way, and using text, is really something special that I've not seen before"
Actually thats the bit that reminded me most of the old text adventures (more violent ones with combat included) and MUDs considering the rest of it is based on a much rarer type of control for a text adventure (options rather than a command parser).

Cheers

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2007 06:06
But the big question is: is it good? Have you had the time to read it more carefully?

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2007 09:58 Edited at: 9th Oct 2007 10:00
Yes, it is good. I would have been pretty happy with it back in the day. Personally I slightly favoured funny adventures (Discworld, Bored of the rings, The Boggit, Golden Eggcup etc) but sci-fi ones were always good too.

But no, I haven't had time to read more carefully. Sorry Once I get a decent amount of time I'll give it a proper go.

Cheers

Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2007 21:58
Okay, I've been playing for a while now (still on chapter 2) and it really is pretty darn good! I love the way you gain companions to summon, the combat is a bit hard to get used to (ie. to learn what people will probably do next if they taunt, rush toward you, stand at a distance etc.) but overall a really nice game. I especially like how the description of each locale is random, making it more interesting.

I did find that there was one quest where I had to find a base in the Western hills. I only realised I had this quest by checking the PDA thing on 127.1, and then only found it after revisiting the area by chance.
Also, sometimes, if it says "You are fighting 3 Farmers" and you kill one, it won't update to 2 farmers until the turn after next.
Also, I have no idea how to complete the quest when you have to use your energy to pinpoint the location of the enemy ship? And, finally, can you destroy the Wasp fighters that are busy taking chunks out of the Dominican?

But, overall, like I said, an excellent game!

I'm not actually a Kiwi, I just randomly thought it up one day.
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2007 00:28
I think for the quest you'll find most people will recommend you to contact the Gail, in low orbit around the planet. The frequency will be given to you if you inquire the right people.

You can't destroy the Wasps, although it was ment to be an aspect to regulate both terrestial combat and air combat. I felt the air combat was not much more than press energy or lasergun, and the Wasps seemed relatively weak with air combat. I removed it.

Their numbers are now dependent on quests and game speed. In most cases, the Dominican will not last if you take too long. I found that around page 40-60 the Dominicans shields fail. Of course, that huge battlecruiser hoovering above it might speed things up a little, if you give it enough time to power up...

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2007 09:24
So Rami, are you going to do a competition+ version? You know, a deluxe version that ignores competition rules? As it stands it is pretty good, but I think if you polished it a bit it could really shine. Graphical maps, and location imagery pop into my mind for instance.

Plus a multiplayer option would be nice. Perhaps not MUD level, but at least a coop deathmatch with the CPU kind of way would be pretty cool you must admit.

Cheers

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2007 06:30 Edited at: 26th Oct 2007 06:34
I could consider that. Would be a good way to get into multiplayer programming, I guess. I mean, if I look back, last year the best programming I did was all 2D singleplayer stuff. I'm still mostly 2D at the moment, but it seems like multiplayer should be doable.

Although I don't see how multiplayer would work in deathmatch mode for this game. I think co-op sounds more logical, with Keith as controlable character or so.

I might be starting on another text-adventure idea soon. Wartorn: Jarods Fall might get a media update, but not at this moment - I'm too busy with some things, and I really want to finish the actual story of Wartorn before doing something else with the universe. It's so much fun writing the last part of the trilogy and connecting the three stories in such a way you could drop in in each part without too much trouble.

I do have one other fictional universum in my mind that would lend itself for a text-adventure, which I call MULA in it's infant stages. I do have it worked out in my mind, but nothing on paper yet. MULA will not be the definite title. I might consider using that for a deathmatch/coop text-adventure.

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2007 15:51
Totally worth a co-op deathmatch type deal. And would be pretty straight forward with one of the multiplayer plugins. Plus would be a lot less to worry about with speed of connections. DarkMUD for example pings the game server every 3 secs to see if something has changed in the current location. Doesn't exactly need massively complicated and quick networking systems.

But the main thing with Wartorn is that it lends itself a lot more to being a multiplayer game than most. Not so much a MUD, but almost like a text based FPS. Bit more like all those old Trek games and the like.

Cheers

Zombie 20
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2007 11:58
I've gotten into chapter 2 and I must say you have done a wonderful job rami..I really am enjoying this story. I would like to know more about it all..are you continuing your writing of wartorn?

But alas it is time for bed as the sun will rise soon, great job on it I cannot say that enough.

Dr. Mannete- OMG It's Zombie's voice, it's so Suave!

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2007 17:59
Yes, ánd there's a new game coming up: 'Wartorn: Battlefields'. It will be the first peek for anyone besides my revision team to learn about the story of the second 'part/book' of the trilogy. You can check the story in Geek Culture (Wartorn - First).

Do post up the score when you finish it.

Chily Dog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2007 02:37
isn't Sam Carter the armory guy from Dues Ex?
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2007 03:07 Edited at: 14th Nov 2007 03:07
Nice, Chily Dog - Yes, he is .

You'll be able to find some more hints to games I like in the game, if you look good .

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 16:57:09
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 16:57:09