Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / whats the difference

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
What is the difference between the GDK .net and the GDK?

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2007 19:14
dgdk is c++ libs for use from C++ code

dgdk.net is a COM Interop component made from those libraries for use in .net based languages.

My DBP plugins page is now hosted [href]here[/href]
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2007 18:27
in addition to Cattle Rustlers comment

Dark GDK .Net - Tends to be a bit easier - over C++. Additionally there are people on here writing little helper things to speed development in .Net which is already faster than C++ due to its ease of use.

Additionally - the DarkGDK .Net AFAIK has one of the developers on here a lot - something I don't usually see for the C++ developers in the forums - HOWEVER - there is just as much support for both - due to some of the moderators on here and some users that are simply loaded with good "techy" info when you need a hand.

The DarkGDK (C++ version) is inherently faster however - because there is less software bloat - which .Net does suffer from. You pay a price - one way or the other.

First - both as far as I can tell - are very good products.

Neither is perfect.

.Net version is easier to write code for than C++ but for the most horsepower - C++ has much less overhead than C#.

all this is pretty much talked about in various threads on here and I'm only repeating it for your convienance - but you might want to give these forums a good read and see what else you may find out that could help you with your decision.

I went for the C++ - for awhile - I started to regret it - as I don't code C++ everyday - far from it - otherwise. I do use C# at work. But once I dealt with the learning curve - and started to get the hang of it - I am VERY VERY happy I chose the C++ - because I have more CPU power available to me - and as I'm getting better at my 3d coding and C++ in general - C++ is almost as easy as the C# with the speed. A few more lines of code here and there - but worth it in my opinion.

Also there is no need for an external Licencing validator app with the C++ version - HOWEVER in all fairness - the .Net crew at TGC is going to make that go away if possible - (they are working on it now) - So if C# is really your cup-of-tea - then perhaps you get .Net and that little thorn will go away.

James Bondo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2007 20:10
Additionally, DGDK.Net is not only C#, you can use VB.NET aswell if that is more like you.

Using Dark GDK.NET
Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2007 11:37
Many people gets frightened when they hear 'C++ coding'.

DGDK can be used in a 'C' classic style if desired.

That means that the only differences with a basic or DBPro code are the commands & functions syntax, the mandatory variable & function declaration and the array indexes starting at 0
Red Ocktober
Years of Service
User Offline
i agree... c++ can be coded using straight c only, and straight c is verrrrry similar to BASIC... except for a few syntax differences, and pointers, which you probably won't be using right away anywho...

just remember...

1- ; as end of line markers...
2- == tests for equality in c... not =
3- for n = 1 to 10 in c is for(n=1;n<11;n++...
4 use brackets for block separators...

and you're on your way...

the hardest part is not the language... it's geting familiar with the environment... setting up the thing can be a pain the first time... but then, is everything...

well... almost everything...

good luck...

--Mike
jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2007 18:04 Edited at: 4th Oct 2007 18:04
I'm currently looking into a C++ problem. I've been looking for 3 days now and I have still yet to find the actual piece of code that is causing the problem. This is due to some extremely bad c++ code structure (Around 11,000 lines of it) (I've got over 200 printf's now trying to track the flow of the code. It's not fun!

Good eld C is much easier to debug and fix.

Jas

----
"What is this talk of 'release'? Klingons do not'release' software. It escapes leaving a bloody trail of developers and quality assurance people in its wake!"
Red Ocktober
Years of Service
User Offline
hahahahaaaa.... aahhh, i once spent 2 days trying to figure out why something that was so obviously supposed to be happening, wasn't... i had assumed that all variables were initialized to zero when they were created... imagine my surprise when tracing through the code with the debugger, when i discovered that the variables in question had been initialized to some obscure value like -18400somethingorthe other...

the debugger should become your friend as soon as you start coding in c... in basic you could get away without using it, but in c, and c++, you will wind up loosing your mind without it

i should've mentioned that above...

--Mike
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2007 01:35
I'm with Red October - Have you tried a break point? I Think with Watch (I don't use these only because I only figured out the vb6 one and never tried to learn the latest but I bet its the same) ... again... I think with watch - you can make the code stop only when a variable becaomes a certain value - or at least changes - I think that might help to.

The other thing to try - is instead of PrintF to screen or debug console - is make a class that just keeps appending a text file with those "debug lines of information" so when the program bombs or whatever - you always can go back and see what was logged. It does slow things down speed wise - writing to a text file constantly - but it can be very usuful..

I'm sure you are already pretty knowledgable here - I'm just trying to help.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 03:18:38
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 03:18:38