Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Do I need 3rd party software to protect my game?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2007 23:33
When I create a game all the models used are just copied in the game folder. When I use own models and publish it on the net people can copy the content of my game folder and use it for themselves, can't they?

I didn't try myself but I think people can steal all models when looking in the game folder of a FPSC-created game. Doesn't it work anyway or do I need software to encrypt my game data?

[under construction]
Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2007 23:41
Yes, people can rip media from unprotected games. You also have to be careful of your liscensing agreements as they sometimes require that you protect your media before distribution. There are a few programs out there that help with this. Only 3 come to mind right away and that's Vishnu, Pheonix, and FPSPak.

TGPEG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2007 23:42 Edited at: 2nd Oct 2007 23:43
Well PGPS for one and Vishnu for another. Both good peices of software worth your attention.

EDIT13 got there before me.

[center]
The all new EG Interactive Forums.
Leander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2007 23:59
Thanks. Is one program better than the rest? Or do they all encrypt the game equally well? I will definitely use such software before I publish a game.

Hmmm, that's strange. Why didn't TheGameCreators encrypt user-created games themselves? There are so many self-made games available and if it's so easy to rip the models from the folder then a lot of kiddies might be tempted to...well, you know what I mean.

[under construction]
Kronos
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2007 00:11
Phoenix has a lot more functions that the "others" dosent have

The Earth is full, go home!
TGPEG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2007 00:15
They're all as good as one-another. No more flaming.

[center]
The all new EG Interactive Forums.
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2007 03:16 Edited at: 3rd Oct 2007 03:16
Quote: "They're all as good as one-another. No more flaming."

Couldn't have said it better myself.You need to encrypt your game before you distribute it.In this day and age that is not an option unless the entire game's media is 100% created by you.
Fighting piracy and protecting the media that you did not make from such piracy is a responsibility of every developer.
Whatever application you choose to use just remember that by protecting the media in your game you are benefiting the community as a whole as well as being responsible.

Please have mercy and use the search function.
valid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2007 13:38
pheonix program where can i download it

<color="chocolate">http://www.myspace.com/the_gaming_masters</color>
Storm 6000
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2007 15:12 Edited at: 3rd Oct 2007 15:13
Vishnu is designed to work alot quicker and be simplier for users and customers alike and as a result currently doesnt have as many features as the newer versions of PGPS. Vishnu also seems to have less effect on the frame rate while running an FPSC game than PGPS but PGSP recently had extra options and a general set of modifications to bring it back up to speed. PGPS Standard is free from http://www.phoenix-sentry.com other versions have more features that are very usful for lots of customization

There is no free version of vishnu but its very reasonably priced. Its avaliable at:
http://s4projects.out-lawz.com

Thanks
Adam
Seth Black
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2007 18:55
...you definitely should protect your work and your media!

Click the banner in my sig to download the free version of Phoenix Game Protection Standard. Give it a spin!

Thanks,

Seth Black

Own It, Or Get Owned...
Leander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2007 22:50
Already downloaded it and mailed Dave. I applied the patch and Phoenix Sentry didn't work. Didn't know that this patch is only for the non-free versions.

It slows FPSC down? There is real-time protection available. What does real-time protection do? Is FPSC only slowed down when real-time protection is activated?

[under construction]
Jeremiah
Years of Service
User Offline
He did ask a good question, why didn't TGC think of this a long time ago and integrate this into their software.
DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Already downloaded it and mailed Dave. I applied the patch and Phoenix Sentry didn't work. Didn't know that this patch is only for the non-free versions.

It slows FPSC down? There is real-time protection available. What does real-time protection do? Is FPSC only slowed down when real-time protection is activated?"

Oh, I didn't know that was you! Glad you sorted out what you were doing wrong.

Offtopic, to answer your question, the "real-time" protection can be disabled leaving only the "static" method of protection. Simply put, all games files are encrypted no matter what. This is what I call static protection because it exists whether Phoenix is running or not. "real-time" or runtime protection is the software methods that check for access to your game files during game-play. If tampering is detected, the game shuts down. Otherwise, the end-user's gaming experience is not hindered with keyhooks or blocked programs. Your end-user can still use applications like Messenger or even Task Manager.

Now, back to the topic: I believe you should try to protect the media whether it is your own creation or that of another starving artist.

Whether you use Vishnu, FPSpack, Phoenix or another software package is not important. Just please help protect the media in your games!

~Dave

Phoenix Sentry Programmer
Leander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2007 12:53
Thanks for your answer.

Yeah, I want to encrypt my own objects. And also protect FPS Creator's models. Ah, and user-created stuff as well. It's not fair when kids just steal all models from downloaded games.

Static protection is what I need. I don't understand real time-protection though. I'm only looking for a protection that the media can't be copied from the game folders and used in FPSC for own games.

But what's the advantage of protection against keyhooks etc.? Vishnu has listed a lot of features in this category, too. What is prevented in this case? That users cannot cheat in SP or MP games?

The only danger I know of is the theft of media from the game's folders, without the game being run.

What other dangers are there?

[under construction]
Storm 6000
Years of Service
User Offline
well someone a little hardcore may be able to get your files as they are decrypted while the game is running realtime protection means they cant get out of the game or mess while its running its a little overkill but it depends what you feel is fair

Thanks
Adam
Leander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2007 17:29
Ah, I see what you mean. Someone actually runs my game and while it is running he can get my data from the media folder, right?

Are there also dangers during multiplayer play? Can someone use the connection between the players to get trojans or other malware in? First I thought that these security software programs help being safe from attacks during online play.

[under construction]
Sapphire MP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2007 08:00 Edited at: 9th Nov 2007 20:36
They have programs to encrypt your files? And all this time, I just used my own! Are they really good?

Brian Conover
Visit www.freewebs.com/sapphiremp

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-10 03:23:24
Your offset time is: 2024-10-10 03:23:24