Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / License Question

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
If I was to write an engine using the DGK in its core, would I be allowed to sell my engine?
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2007 00:59
Only if you have purchased the Commercial version of the GDK. The Freeware version stipulates that any product developed with the toolkit, cannot be sold for profit or gain.

Paul.

flibX0r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2007 15:56
Yes, but who would buy it?

Big whorls have little whorls which feed on their velocity,
Little whorls have lesser whorls and so on to viscosity. - Lewis F. Richardson

Also, my website has no content. But it looks perty
Niels Henriksen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2007 16:44
Its simple. If you release a game for profit and you have used GDK to it, then you need to buy the commercial license. Then you have the right to sell your game.

Niels Henriksen
Working on a (MMO)RPG right now in LightEngine
http://noggs.netopcom.dk/forum/default.asp - Forum for the game
kBessa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2007 19:17
Paul, have you got this correctly?

As far as I know, you may release a commercial GAME with the Commercial License, but in the terms of the license, you are not allowed to sell any product that would compete with TGC's product.

I think you might sell it if you engine required DGDK to be compiled, but selling it as a standalone product is against the license, even the commercial one.

Don't know if what I said is correct, I think someone from TGC should comment on this one. Mike?

Thiago
Remorse
Years of Service
User Offline
I've seen this concern for distributing editors coming up quite often. I've recently purchased a freeware license of DarkGDK.Net and while I enjoy some aspects the licensing mechanism seems overly prohibitive. Atleast it would have been nice to have created a facility for allowing the creator, based on a review board, supply editors that would not constitute the creation of a seperate game (entity).

For example, in the day, Excite Bike allowed you to edit the tracks. Basically an editor, but this did not create a new game. No, it was merely customizable enough to enhance the gameplay increasing its replayability. Duke Nukem 3D, I believe, provided an editor that allowed you to create your own levels. But this also did not create a new game. If you wanted to create a new game you required more than there level editors. You had to purchase 3DRealms engine allowing you to incorporate it into your own code, make modifications essentially producing a completely different product.

I do not see how providing an editor that only increases YOUR GAME's fun-factor violates the licensing if the game does not directly compete with TGC product line.

It is easier for TGC to be quite literal and simplistic with their restrictions than to provide a service of reviewing your product's editors and determining if the editors allow you to create a seperate product.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 03:16:14
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 03:16:14