Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / [Tutorial] 2D Jump and Run-Game

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2007 12:56 Edited at: 8th Oct 2007 20:28
Actual Version: http://mrkohlenstoff.mr.funpic.de/Sonstiges/dotadventure/Dot_Adventures_Game.zip

Hi all.

I wrote a big tutorial the last 2 weeks about how to create a 2D Jump and run. In word it was all in all around 108 pages big, and it covers 24 chapters about things like gameplay, events, editor, mapformats, bug-fixing, level-design, campaigns, credits, menus, user-interaction, simple Collision etc.
In order to demonstrate all the techniques I also wrote a game of nearly 2,400 lines called "Dot adventures", which develops through the tutorial to an interesting and more or less working 2D Platformer.

I am also making a WIP-Thread about the game and will post the link later.

At first here's a screenshot of the game. As you can see the "graphics" is very bad, but the game has some interesting features.

In this screenshot you can see platforms (grey horizontal lines), switches (grey boxes with dark-grey or red boxes inside), zones (very dark-grey boxes) and on the left side the player (yellow dot).

I would also post a video but GameCam, whyever, doesn't want to record one for this game.

So, back to the tutorial.

You can find it here:

http://mrkohlenstoff.mr.funpic.de/Sonstiges/dotadventure/Dot_Adventures_Tutorial.htm

It's probably so long that nobody wants to read it... but maybe someone does. Maybe even just a certain chapter.. or whatever.

If you first want to test the game, there are two versions uploaded (They are still bugged and some levels don't really work. But all in all it's playable).

1. Editor-Version (You are able to edit your maps in realtime)

http://mrkohlenstoff.mr.funpic.de/Sonstiges/dotadventure/Dot_Adventures_TutGame.rar

2. Game-Version (You can also build maps here, so all in all it's the same, just not that cool *cough*)

http://mrkohlenstoff.mr.funpic.de/Sonstiges/dotadventure/Dot_Adventures_Game.rar

I invested much time in it and tried to put as much of my knowledge into this tutorial as possible. Of course there are probably mistakes in the tutorial though, and some techniques might be unprofessional or inefficient or whatever, so please tell me if you find anything wrong.

I don't know what more to say, so I'll stop writing now.

Have fun with it
Mr Kohlenstoff

The Grim Reaper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2007 08:04
Nice tut! Just wat I was looking for! y aren't people posting lol?!
Eevil Weevil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2007 10:05
for some reason by comp doesn't support .rar's, so can you post as .zip as well? Would be much appreciated.

Excuse me. Yes you. Stop reading my siggy! It is private. Stoppit! Now! I'll kill you! Bleurgh! Go away or I'll format your C-drive! You are dead! I am dead! Yes! Ahem.
Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2007 16:50
Yes, I will do today, in some hours, now I don't have any time.

@Grim Reaper: Thanks.

Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2007 20:27
Finally I uploaded a zip-file of the updated project. Now there's also an ingame-menu.

http://mrkohlenstoff.mr.funpic.de/Sonstiges/dotadventure/Dot_Adventures_Game.zip

Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2007 01:08
Aaah, I remember back in the days, where I would look at the shiny stuff the Underware Design guy made, and I was very jealous and wanted to be able to do it, but his cool looking blocks made it look too hard. If only you made this 4-5 years ago Oh well, too late, but there is still a chance for the newer dudes around here. Good job.

By the way, I put this in the tutorial sticky on this board the moment I saw it

"It's like floating a boat on a liquid that I don't know, but I'm quite happy to drink it if I'm thirsty enough" - Me being a good programmer but sucking at computers
The Grim Reaper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2007 03:44
Quote: "Aaah, I remember back in the days, where I would look at the shiny stuff the Underware Design guy made, and I was very jealous and wanted to be able to do it, but his cool looking blocks made it look too hard. If only you made this 4-5 years ago Oh well, too late, but there is still a chance for the newer dudes around here. Good job.

By the way, I put this in the tutorial sticky on this board the moment I saw it "

Sweet, good 4 u Mr Kohlenstoff
Eevil Weevil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2007 20:57
Thanks, Mr Kohlenstoff, and No, WindowsKiller, I don't have WinRAR installed. I've tried, and the download (the demo version) and there's soemthing wrong with the Internet Expllorer downloader, but it won't download properly, on my comp at least. Maybe its coz it's in .rar format

Excuse me. Yes you. Stop reading my siggy! It is private. Stoppit! Now! I'll kill you! Bleurgh! Go away or I'll format your C-drive! You are dead! I am dead! Yes! Ahem.
Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2007 21:23 Edited at: 10th Oct 2007 21:24
<nevermind>

"It's like floating a boat on a liquid that I don't know, but I'm quite happy to drink it if I'm thirsty enough" - Me being a good programmer but sucking at computers
Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2007 23:56
@Zotoaster and Grim Reaper: Thanks for your support.

@Everyone: I am still waiting for some criticism or suggestions.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 09:41:28
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 09:41:28