Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Alt-tab out

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Lots of people have said this. When they alt-tab out of a dark GDK project, then regrow it, all the textures are missing.

Presumably I need to load them again?

Does anyone know a quick solution to this problem?

Look at Kaboodle at www.retrodev.co.uk for an example of this happening if this isn't clear enough.

Stu

www.Retrodev.co.uk
Grunge Game Developers
Red Ocktober
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2007 03:54 Edited at: 6th Oct 2007 03:57
fullscreen... right...

quick solutuion... don't go fullscreen... go windowed, fullscreen... and loose the borders, menu bars and gadgets...

it'll look just as if you were running fullscreen to the user... they'll never know the difference, and you'll be able to tab in and out to your hearts content...

uhhh, one small thing... i don't think that you'll be able to set the gamma levels in windowed mode... so if ya need that, then sorry... all bets are off

anyways... this is just one solution... the simplest one... i'm sure there are other more elegant ones out there...

good luck with your project...

--Mike
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2007 05:35
Mike's right - but if you are determined - I THINK you would need reload - not just textures either - unless you have no issues trying to Texture objects in mem - I can do it for plains and perhaps those models with a "one piece" wrap texture - maybe - but otherwise - I'd say you should dump em out and reload them, rescale them, reposition them, set all the flags again - basically take a snap shot of all the numeric details you can - pause the game - and start reloading. For the sake of your program - probably all back into the SAME ID's you had allocated. Messy? Yeah - but I think I read something about how this is a universal problem more or less and basically the games that allow it - (Maybe not OpenGL - dunno) basically add the "Support" which may explain the "lag" between switching is longer then say going from command prompt full scren to windowed.

I'd venture to guess that many designers have the textures in normal memory - and when the objects loose em via alt-tab - they just copy those textures back to the video card and apply them - after switch to/from fullscreen mode. That's a guess - but it would explain why they can do it faster then this suggestion - if in fact they suffer from the same woes.

Best of luck to ya - wouldn't mind hearing how you make out - and what you eventually did if you get it to work!

Jason

Chicknstu
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "
quick solutuion... don't go fullscreen... go windowed, fullscreen... and loose the borders, menu bars and gadgets...

it'll look just as if you were running fullscreen to the user... they'll never know the difference, and you'll be able to tab in and out to your hearts content...
"

That worked an absolute treat mike, but you do take a performance hit from running in a window rather than fullscreen exclusive, and I'm getting some noticeable jerkyness (Not too bad though). Still, I think I'm going to leave it as-is.

www.Retrodev.co.uk
Grunge Game Developers

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 03:15:37
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 03:15:37