Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / GDK.Net Limitations

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I just ordered the GDK.Net version (freeware) primarily because I enjoy using the .Net development environments. And though asking this question may seem a little late, I was wondering if anyone could provide some input as to what they feel are limitations of the GDK inside the .Net environment.

I see there are many add-ons such as DarkShader and a physics library. Do these interface with the .Net tools or should I have gone with the C++? Not a real loss if I must use C++ though since I only spent $60 US Dollars on the freeware version.
RPDan
Years of Service
User Offline
I think that almost all the addons for GDK work only with GDK.net. The c++ version, sadly, doesn't seem to be very well supported.
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2007 10:09
I humbly disagree.

C++ Version Rocks - and the add ons - from guys "in here" do tend to be C# - but TGC is bringing their whole suite of addons to be compatible with both .net and C++ - and as many know - with C++ you can hook directly into things like Nwewton and other Physics libs without needing and extra layer - plus you don't have to fight with the COM License thingy - (External app your endusers have to run so people can play your game or whatever)..they are trying to eliminate this - but C++ is also faster overall - so performance is your friend

NO REMORSE he he - Cool Metalica Tune!

James Bondo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2007 22:08
The licence in .NET is not for enduser, its only for the developer. You need to show the engine that you are legitimately calling the functions in the COM object. This is not something the enduser will see or have to run.

Using Dark GDK.NET
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2007 00:19
That's Cool - I swore I heard that the end user needs to install something also. Well, if I heard wrong - than that is much less of the headache I previously thought.

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2007 00:40
End users currently need the dgdk object installed, but this can be done during your game's install on the end user machine.

My DBP plugins page is now hosted [href]here[/href]
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2007 13:39 Edited at: 15th Oct 2007 13:40
Exactly, all that the installer has to do, is execute the DGDKSetup.exe program with the silent option (Documented). This will install the COM component onto an end user system.

[EDIT] People have asked if their installers can register the DGDK.COM component themselves. The reason that DGDKSetup.exe is recommended instead, is because the COM component requires prerequisite files to also be installed. DGDKSetup.exe does this for you.

Paul.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 03:22:24
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 03:22:24