Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Objects don't fit together...bleed in...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2007 07:20
I think I'm going insane. Several problems are driving me nuts. I spent countless hours on building some simple rooms but nothing works.

1) Why is that? => I click and paint a wall only. Inner and outer walls are painted. When I select undo from the menu one wall disappears, only one is left. I don't understand that. Normally, all what I've just painted should disappear with an undo function.

2) See my "problems with walls"-thread. I've given up building a house with one and the same wall on the outside and several rooms with different walls on the inside.

Now I only want to build a room...and build another one next to it. In segment mode. When I'm done the rooms have different walls and floors. Good. But they are still not seperated. I have to draw a wall to seperate these two rooms. The middle parts work. But on the corners one wall of an already built part might disappear. So there's two walls everywhere except for one part with just one wall in the corner. Different objects get different results. Finally, I managed to build everything the way I wanted. But in game mode there was bleed in, which looked awful. How can I get rid of that? Well...what should I do? I'm getting more and more frustrated. Two walls --> bleed in. One wall --> FPSC doesn't let me build it.

3) I want to use a small window (hole). But it doesn't work with all walls. Bleed in, flickering.

Conclusion: normally, many objects and model packs are great. But it seems to me as if FPSC is a bit restricted. You can combine segment 1, 2, 3 and 4...but you can't use 5-10. You can build something nice within a model pack...but when you want to use one model pack with the default objects...bad luck.

It seems to me as if the compitability of FPSC' objects is not good. Or I'm just to stupid to use the program correctly. When I use an editor I want to combine everything with everything.

What I'm doing wrong?

Could somebody please build a house, surrounded by grass. The house has a door. You walk in. Several rooms are in there, seperated by walls. The exterior wall is all the same...bricks. The inside rooms vary. It sounds so simple but...now start reading at the very beginning of my post. Then you'll know how I feel.

[under construction]
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2007 07:27
Ya, FPSC's level designing system is simple but therefore limiting. I'd personally prefer something more complicated like a BSP style editor, but it then becomes harder to use and has a steeper learning curve. You could do so much more, but at the same type you almost shut out the program's main audience.

Anyways, I'm not entirely sure what you're saying. Separating two rooms is easy. Place the segments for one room in one spot and the others next to it, and they should merge together. Now click the button for walls only for one of the segments, rotate it correctly, and place it on the same side of segments that the wall belongs to. The other room's wall should appear on the proper side aswell. Unfortunetly, unless you're grass has walls that can cover up the house's outside, you won't get a simple brick unless that is the exterior texture for all the segments.

As for texture bleeding, that is pretty common in FPSC simply because the way things are put together.

Vote today and play the games!
DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
The technical term is "Z Clashing" and, as Airslide said, is very common when creating maps. Z clashing exists when two objects share the exact points or plane in 3d space. The render cannot choose which texture to draw, so there is a flicker.

There is no cure for this in FPSC, but you can avoid it by using the segment editor to create your own interior walls that do not have exterior meshes assigned to them. This is what I do. ~DF

~Dave

Phoenix Sentry Programmer
Leander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2007 17:26
Ah. I thought that this is graphic card-dependent. I have an old ATI Radeon 9600 with 128 MB ram, that's why I thought that my card isn't good enough and therefore I get this Z clashing.
Or I simply want to combine the wrong segments.

But even prefabs have this problem, e.g. ww2 -> castle. There are two wooden stairs, which bleed in with the castle walls at the point the upper stair's end is connected to the wall.

[under construction]
Leander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2007 19:10
Ok, here are some screenshots.

1) I painted some segments. Chose other segments. Then there is no seperation between these two rooms. So I use wall mode and paint only the walls...with the arrow pointing to the left. There are two walls. How can I only have one wall? With two walls some windows don't work.

2) I painted some segments. Chose other segments. Used external draw mode. It looks ok at first glance but the left inner wall of the second room is wrong. It should be brown and not that greyish wall of room 1 that came in to the second room.

3) I painted some segments. Chose other segments. Used external draw mode. And now have a look. The walls are wrong. Mixed up.

What am I doing wrong?

I just want to have two rooms seperated by one wall.

[under construction]
Avid
Years of Service
User Offline
It isn't anything you are doing wrong personally, it's the limitations of the editor. What you are going to have to do is modify an existing wall and change the texture on one side (or both).
Leander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2007 21:41
With segment editor?

I have Signs but I don't want create only new segments but use default stuff as well.

[under construction]
DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
FPSC Segment Editor: 225 MB!

It's so big due to the video tutorials. They should really package this all separately. Good luck! ~DF

~Dave

Phoenix Sentry Programmer
SamHH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2007 21:57
Default fpsc segments have four inside walls and 4 outside walls.

TGPEG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2007 23:43 Edited at: 7th Oct 2007 23:55
Wow you are either very clever or I'm very dumb, cause I don't get what you're talking about with the whole back-to-back walls thing. If you can do nothing else, get two of the fakewalls (entitybankscifi...) and texture them with the same textures as the rest of the rooms. Problem is you can't actually have a real door in the wall, but you can have a fake one.
sorry if this image makes the thread too wide

[img]null[/img]
As you can see; I created a basic two rooms, but the bit on the outside of the one room was making the wall of the other room look unslightly, so what do I do? I cover it up.
The second screen shows the fakewall I put in (static) with the same texture as the outside walls, giving the illsion that it is the same wall, whereas it is really just two wall shaped, wall coloured entities covering it.

[center]

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-10 03:30:27
Your offset time is: 2024-10-10 03:30:27