Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Port Forwarding

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
On games when I try to start my own server, it doesn't work right away because I always need to open up ports.

I'm making a multiplayer game on fps creator, and was wondering for when the time comes and I want to test my game with friends, what ports do I have to forward in order for me to start a server?

Thanks for any help.
DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
I used 0 to 50000 and it worked.

~Dave

Phoenix Sentry Programmer
Goodman84
Years of Service
User Offline
lol dark fact thats cheating!

hey
DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "ol dark fact thats cheating!"

I'm result oriented. It worked.

I think the single number is 2304, but I could be wrong.

~Dave

SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2007 10:38
DarkFact, you are joking right? I mean, if you did open 50000 ports, then mostly anything could get onto your system, tut tut tut.

Home Page

Don't even add me to MSN.
Joeykins
Years of Service
User Offline
So, any definite answers?
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2007 12:37 Edited at: 8th Oct 2007 12:37
Quote: "I used 0 to 50000 and it worked."

That's the stupidest idea ever.

1) You will be highly vulnerable to remote attackers.

2) It totally negates the need for a router, unless all other machines in the network use ports above 50000

3) It's basically the same as running you PC in the DMZ.

4) /me hands slap through monitor.

Oh and the actual port is 2303(UDP)

DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "DarkFact, you are joking right?"

Of course. I said the proper port was 2304.

~Dave

Avid
Years of Service
User Offline
This ought to be stickied, after the port is definately confirmed.
DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2007 20:52 Edited at: 8th Oct 2007 20:54
Oops, I meant 2303. When you start your game, look at the bottom of the screen. There is a message telling you what the LAN address is.

192.168.1.XXX:2303

The port is 2303

~Dave

Joeykins
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the help!
drew4663
Years of Service
User Offline
@ Dark Coder
You wouldn't know what to do with an open port if it slapped you in the face!

Quote: "Totally negates the need for a router?"

I can think of a few other reasons as to why we need routers other than port forwarding and security!

Do you even know what DMZ stands for?

Good day sir..............I said GOOD DAY!
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2007 04:49
? @ drew4663.

Dude, his game won the nVidia competition. I would shut up.

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2007 05:21
@Inspire:

Quote: "Dude, his game won the nVidia competition. I would shut up.
"

Dude, games and cisco routing are two completely different things... I would shut up.

The one and only,
~PlystirE~

Dammit, Jim! I'm a programmer not a graphic designer!!!
drew4663
Years of Service
User Offline
@Plystire

I was just going to say the same thing. Thank you.
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2007 11:43 Edited at: 11th Oct 2007 11:45
@drew4663

After reading your reply it seems one too many ports slapped you in the face.

Quote: "I can think of a few other reasons as to why we need routers other than port forwarding and security!"

Such as what? Extending the reach of your Ethernet cables? If you forward(almost) every port to a single LAN IP then the other machines in the network will not be able to host on any of these ports, this makes many P2P based applications/games inoperable.

Quote: "Do you even know what DMZ stands for?"

Yes demilitarized zone - something that you don't typically get on a home router. If you're referring to the "DMZ host" feature then what's your point? Do you know what that feature is used for?

What's the purpose of your replies? They are nothing but unnecessary and immature.

drew4663
Years of Service
User Offline
My initial response was in response to your remark towards DarkFact.

Quote: "That's the stupidest idea ever."

I highly doubt it is the stupidest idea ever. I mean good God the guy was just trying to help and you flamed him.

Quote: "2) It totally negates the need for a router, unless all other machines in the network use ports above 50000"

I have an 8 port wireless router in which I have no need for port forwarding does that mean I have no use for my router? No, I have 2 servers, 2 pcs and 1 laptop connected to it. I also have two printers and 1 scanner that is shared over the network. By your sentence you are claiming the only need for a router is to port forward. You are wrong sir.

Quote: "It's basically the same as running you PC in the DMZ."

This statement didn't make any sense at all. I was not referring to DMZ host. I was wondering the relevance of your statement.

Quote: "/me hands slap through monitor."

Who is immature and what comments are unnecessary? 9/10 of your post was unnecessary.

I'm not even going to respond to your last post but instead explain further why I posted what I posted. You got a taste of your own medicine by someone bashing you for no reason. It made you upset so think about that the next time you wish to bash someone for their lack of knowledge or for them doing things differently. Have some respect for someone that was just trying to help. What makes you so much better than them?
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2007 18:02 Edited at: 11th Oct 2007 18:09
Quote: "By your sentence you are claiming the only need for a router is to port forward."

No he's not. The need for port forwarding is required by having a router, not the other way around. He's simply stating that if you enable port forwarding on all of those ports for just one PC, you negate the use of a router for two reasons:

1. The other machines might not be able to function properly on the internet as traffic will be redirected to only one machine. I'm not entirely sure on this however, it may depend on the router.

2. You're allowing any unsolicited traffic get to a computer, which removes the security routers provide.

Of course, a device is necessary to network computers together, so a router still retains its use there.

Tempest (DBP/DBCe)
Multisync V1 (DBP/DBCe)
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2007 18:07
*opens this thread to find a bunch of alley cats scratching the crap out of each other*

Boys, boys, boys. Calm down. Darkfact was messing around, and dark coder was offering other advice. He was doing it in a joking fashion.

The actual talk about the port was interesting. All this other nonsense about routers is just fillin up space. I'm sure everyone wants to flex their geek muscle and show how much the know about routers, but frankly I don't care (and neither do alot of us). Can we please keep this on topic, as the core issue is actually quite useful

Veron
Years of Service
User Offline
You should have a nice shiny mod badge next to that BOTB badge Butters!

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2007 18:28
Quote: "I highly doubt it is the stupidest idea ever. I mean good God the guy was just trying to help and you flamed him."

Well FPSC only uses a single port, to give advice that you should forward 50k ports is like picking a lock using a tank.

Quote: "This statement didn't make any sense at all."

If you forward all ports to a single machine then all data on these ports will go to it, thus being the same as running your machine in the DMZ, unless of course the router creates entries for the other machines in the routing table which may bypass the forwarding.

Quote: "Who is immature and what comments are unnecessary? 9/10 of your post was unnecessary."

It's called a joke, something you clearly are not accustomed to. I was referring to: You wouldn't know what to do with an open port if it slapped you in the face!, Do you even know what DMZ stands for?, Good day sir..............I said GOOD DAY!

Quote: "You got a taste of your own medicine by someone bashing you for no reason"

So you're saying that you posted here just for the sake of 'bashing' me? My initial post was helpful so I fail to see what you are trying to accomplish.

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2007 18:28
Quote: "All this other nonsense about routers is just fillin up space."

Well it's the general lack of knowledge about routers that causes a lot of multiplayer-related problems for people, I think it's time more people learn about how they work. I'm not pointing the finger at anyone here in particular, I mean generally. But yes, the arguing is a bit pointless.

Tempest (DBP/DBCe)
Multisync V1 (DBP/DBCe)
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2007 18:49
As entertaining as this is ( and I do assure you it is entertaining) let's try to get along.We all have been here a while and we all know how to get along without having to go out on the playground and beat the heck out of each other.
Some of us can act a little more mature as well..

Please have mercy and use the search function.
drew4663
Years of Service
User Offline
to all!

fata error
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "is like picking a lock using a tank."

actualy that would work you know
it would just destroy everything in vecinity of the door (and the door)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-10 03:32:47
Your offset time is: 2024-10-10 03:32:47