Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Quick question: open remote door (switch) and automatically close door afterwards

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2007 16:58
Quick question: how can I open a remote door (switch) and automatically close the door afterwards?

I know how to open a door. Switch. Enter. Door opens. I walk through. Now I want the door to automatically close behind me. Players should only be able to walk through it and open it by using the switch again.

BTW, my map is a multiplayer one.

[under construction]
Greek freak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2007 17:40
Multiplayer with a switch and a door?

The problem is not if there isn't after-death-life. The problem is if there is no life in life!
Leander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2007 18:00
What do you mean?

[under construction]
Tom0001
Years of Service
User Offline
You cannot, unfortunately. Not in a Multiplayer map, to my knowledge. However, in a single player map, you could simply create a triggerzone two squares away from the door and have it close the door using the script playerinzoneactiveifused and having the ifused field set to the door name. This would not work in Multiplayer as you cannot use triggers in MP maps.

Tom

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2007 19:19
I've come up with a few ways around the need for Triggers in situations like this.

Try making an invisible entity behind the door, then giving it a script basically stating: when the player gets within 40 (or whatever works) units from me, activate ifused. Then just set the entity's ifused field to the door.

Let me know how that goes if you decide to use it.

The one and only,
~PlystirE~

Dammit, Jim! I'm a programmer not a graphic designer!!!
Leander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2007 20:15
Thanks.

I simply got rid of that door. My map is far too huge anyway. It's...gigantic. LOL Three layers, many rooms, corridors.

After hours and hours and hours I've finished the layout. Players, weapons and furniture are still missing.

I included so many ways to hide, platforms to shoot from. This is definitely not a fast multiplayer map but some hide and seek map. With 3 frags per player. With the mission "Find the other players". But I liked that idea. It's so exciting.

Unfortunately, the game doesn't let me add more than two players. I can add them but when I start the game I can't select them. Why is that?

[under construction]
Tom0001
Years of Service
User Offline
You cannot select more than the first 2 in a level test. When you build the game you will be able to select the others.

Tom

Leander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2007 20:25
Ah, ok. Thanks.

[under construction]
Leander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2007 20:54
Another problem:

FPS and lag!

My graphic card isn't that good and so I have 21-25 FPS on high textures (no shaders, quick light mapping but none lights yet).

I have a ventilation duct. When I look at it the FPS drop to 16. When I crawl through it there is only this duct but still 16-18 FPS. Why is that? How can I get rid of this lag?

On other parts of my map I have this lag as well. What if on one layer only the lower layer's ceilings are visible?
When I use overlays as ceilings are they the same as floor parts (pressing F). It seems to me that the lag is there when I have overlays as ceilings.

Where can I find some rules how to design everything? My map is ok but on very few passages the FPS drop and I don't know why.

[under construction]
Tom0001
Years of Service
User Offline
Try turning physics off for static entities, it lowers the lag somewhat.

Leander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2007 21:45
My entities are just crates and doors so far and have no physics.

[under construction]
Cyborg ART
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2007 21:52
with the ventilationduct I got the same problem whit my map "Desert Bunker" When you crouched trough it the fps dropped to about 15, not that big problem because it became some kind of punishment for the player who went into the duct beacuse it was a great weapon inside

Visit our new website! www.bigvikinggames.tk !New Forum is up!
Follow the progress of Lost Treasures
Leander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2007 22:06
Oh. The creator of Prison Riot uses such a duct as well but it's fast.

The duct doesn't allow floor or walls next to it. It's annoying when I have a room with a fake duct (can't be opened) and the FPS drop like hell.

[under construction]
TGPEG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2007 22:13
well it's too late now, but if you look in a thread I made a while back, there is a script for closing a door after you go through it. I'm not sure if it'll work in multiplayer though.

[center]
Leander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2007 22:14
Maybe I'll use it another time.

Can I edit the door's range in multiplayer mode? I don't want to hear the "open door" sound when I'm on layer 2 and the door is under me on layer 1.

[under construction]

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-10 03:28:39
Your offset time is: 2024-10-10 03:28:39