Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / My multiplayer game: questions & problems

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2007 14:07
Hi forum!

I post this thread so that I don't have to create new threads for each of my multiplayer problems.

1) My FPS in one room are totally low. On my map I have four of this kind. The lag comes up only in two of four rooms. Therefore, the problem can't be the entities. In the two problematic rooms the terrible lag is only there when I face the floor. When look at the ceiling there's no problem at all. Please have a look:

I think the problem is due to lower layers. The room's floor is an overlay. Below it there is nothing...only the ceiling of the room down two layers. I did this so I can use different floors and ceilings and the floor of a room on layer 1 isn't automatically the ceiling of a room on the layer below.

In this case there is only the ceiling of the corridors on the layer below. Is this the problem? But I thought that a room IS closed by wall and floors. Why the lag? How should I build it?

Layer of the room:

Layer below:

2) Lights. How can I set the light's radius? It doesn't work in multiplayer. Do I have to switch to single player, set the radius there, switch back to multiplayer and the new settings are stored?

[under construction]
Leander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2007 14:11
Edit: The FPS in the second pic is SEVEN. Normally, I have 20-24 on high textures with my old graphic card.

PS Why isn't there an edit funtion in the forum? This would make things easier.

[under construction]
olliday
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2007 14:16 Edited at: 14th Oct 2007 14:18
When you press tab in test game it makes tha frame rate slower. look at the one in the bottom of the screen where it says f=.
Quote: "PS Why isn't there an edit funtion in the forum? This would make things easier"
there is one at the bottem left corner of your post.
Edit: We posted at the same time Veron.
Veron
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "2) Lights. How can I set the light's radius? It doesn't work in multiplayer. Do I have to switch to single player, set the radius there, switch back to multiplayer and the new settings are stored?"

Yes, you have to do that switcheroo.

There is an edit function, but you're new, so you're probably still on post approval. If not, the edit button is below-ish where it says your location.

Hmm, as for the FPS problems, make sure you're running FPSC v1.07, and have the latest DirectX drivers. Also, what are you're PC specs?

Leander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2007 14:27 Edited at: 14th Oct 2007 14:35
Aaaaah, oh well. LOL I didn't see this edit function. I was looking at the right hand side all the time. Thanks, now I know.

Yeah, tab slows everything down but the lag I am talking about happens only in two of four rooms (rooms are identical, same entities, segments...). And I have looooads of rooms on my map. Therefore, it isn't a problem with FPSC version or my computer. Everything runs fine. The problem must be the layer below. Two of the four identical rooms have corridors below and LAG. The other room don't. Hm.

EDIT I created a door and jumped out of my house.

1...the room with lag.
2...the corridor below.
3...other room, same as 1 but without lag.
4...things under 3. No lag.

What's the problem? Should I create ANYTHING - without using it in game - under 1, only that there is something?

[under construction]
Mr Makealotofsmoke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2007 14:34
well take out that lower layer and test it then

Were is Our Music BOARD??????? can i be mod

Storm 6000
Years of Service
User Offline
press [ during test game to switch to wire frame and you will see what the engine is actully rendering you may find that it is rendering the segments below and that you may have to do some re arranging to get you speed bad, also you could consider moveing the sturcture below down a little further to give the portal system a better chance of noticing not to render thta part of the level I have heard just seperating it with a floor layer can help too. Try some of this and make use of the [ key it shows all the magic as it happens press ] to turn back to normal

Thanks
Adam
Leander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2007 16:03
I added room segments under my room, above the corridors. Et voila, the lag is gone.

Next question: I want to use a door but it should be a fake one. How can I turn a working door into a fake one?

[under construction]
Avid
Years of Service
User Offline
There are some doors labelled as fake, there should be doorname(fake), (auto), (remote) etc. And using segments is probably the best idea, the engine does vis clipping on segments based on angle.
Leander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2007 16:14
Yes I know but I want to use a door not labelled as fake. It isn't labelled at all but it is a working one.

[under construction]
olliday
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I want to use a door but it should be a fake one. How can I turn a working door into a fake one?"

Place the door down, select the entity tab and right click the door to view its properties, and set static mode to yes.
Leander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2007 22:00
Olliday Thanks, it worked.

[under construction]
Leander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2007 19:28
I have a fireplace with an animated fire (hotflame) in my map. The problem is that the fire can be heard in adjacent rooms, also in rooms under and on top of the fireplace's room. I had a look at the .fpe but couldn't find anything useful.

Can I change the range of the sound? That it can only be heard when you are in this room?

coming soon...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-10 03:25:49
Your offset time is: 2024-10-10 03:25:49