Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Weird problem with building/sharing a game

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2007 21:53
I've been working on the Parasite Q game for quite some time now. I use 1.06 version of FPSC. Today I built one level of the game to an executable. It works fine on my computer, but when I rar:ed and sent it to other people it didn't work on their computer. So, I made a test; I sent an older game, rendered with 1.04 with medium quality lightmaps, and that worked fine on their CPU's.
Now, the question is, could this be because the new game has heavier lightmapping/bumpmapping, or is there a known glitch that causes the executables in 1.06 to act like this?

We've seen the world burn! We've seen the sun eclipse from the smoke of the burning dead!
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2007 21:55
What was the error? Versions higher than 1.06 tend to have odd issues with the wireframe on lower-end and integrated GPUs.

Ehetyz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2007 21:59
It doesn't give any distinct error. The game just refuses to start up, instead giving the windows "program encountered a problem, would you like to send a report blah blah" -message.

We've seen the world burn! We've seen the sun eclipse from the smoke of the burning dead!
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2007 22:07
Hm...

Did you give them all of the correct files?

Ehetyz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2007 22:11
Well, that's what I'm wondering here... I rared the folder I built the game executable in, so it should be all there. And also, the older game works, rarred the same way.
Ah well, I'm sending it to a friend of mine who has a killer computer. Then I can at least be sure whether it's because of the low-end computers or something else...

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2007 22:24
That's odd. Upgrade to v.107 or something, and see if that solves it. I think that FPSC is forgetting include a couple files.

Ehetyz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2007 22:26 Edited at: 14th Oct 2007 22:28
Yeah, could be. It doesn't work on my friend's high end computer either.
I'll just try to rebuild it first, if that doesn't help, then I'll update (I already downgraded back to 1.06 once because I got some weird problems with the 107)

Edit: The fact that the executable works fine on my computer would suggest that FPSC is forgetting to include something that is in the original FPSC folder...

Ross tra damus
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2007 22:57
High-end or otherwise, have your friends updated to the latest Direct X? If not, this could be the problem they are having.

Best of luck.
Ehetyz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2007 17:19
Okay, I updated FPSC to 107 and re-rendered the level, still didn't work on their computers. This leads me to believe that either a: FPSC is leaving a file out or b: I have simply been so unlucky that all my friends have outdated directx's.
It still weirds me out, since the game works on my computer (Athlon 3400+, 1gb ddr ram, Geforce 7300LE 256mb) even if I unpack the game to a different folder on another hard drive.

Storm 6000
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "unlucky that all my friends have outdated directx's.
"
just put the lastest microsoft direct x redist into the package and tell them to run it

Thanks
Adam
Ross tra damus
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2007 18:01
To help solve the problem your friends could at least update their computers with the latest Direct X and try again. Updating Direct X can only help a computer run better and is no hardship to do.
If it still wont work after updating then you can at least rule out the possibility of it being a Direct X issue.
I'm sorry but if you don't try you don't know.

All the best of luck
Ehetyz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2007 18:08
The problem is, most of my friends don't know s*** about computers... I mean, they're guys who even don't know whether they have an 3d accelerator or not.
But I found a script from the bug board that tells whether the game will run on certain computer and then gives the link to latest DirectX... So I'm sending that package along with the level to two of my friends right now. We'll see what happens...

Ehetyz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2007 18:52
Ok, it was a directX problem... Now that that's taken care of, I can finally continue making the game itself

Ross tra damus
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2007 22:17
Glad you got it sorted.

All the best with your game.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-10 03:26:07
Your offset time is: 2024-10-10 03:26:07