Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Shadows, Shaders, and More!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2007 21:53
I have a couple questions which may come across as stupid, but I try and try and I cannot figure it out.

1. What does the castshadow=X property in the .fpe do? For example, the .fpe for the wall_light_lit entity in Model Pack 3. I need a couple entities to not cast shadows in my game, so...

Quote: ";header
desc = Wall Light Lit

;ai
aiinit = appear1.fpi
aimain = default.fpi
aidestroy = disappear1.fpi

;spawn
spawnmax = 0
spawndelay = 0
spawnqty = 0

;orientation

model = wall_light_lit.x
offx = 0
offy = 0
offz = 0
rotx = 0
roty = 0
rotz = 0
scale = 100
fixnewy = 0
defaultstatic = 1
forwardfacing = 1
defaultheight = 50
materialindex = 15
collisionmode = 0
strength = 0
isimmobile = 0
soundset =
soundset1 =

;visualinfo

textured =
texturei = lights_I.dds
effect =
castshadow = 0

;Animationinfo
animmax = 0
anim0 = 0,0
"

2. What does the ripple.fx shader do? Go to the effectbank if you don't know what I'm taking about. When I apply it to an entity, it comes out pure white.

3. How do I make it so when one enemy dies, another one respawns? When I mess with their lives tab, when they die, they get right back up and fight some more. I need them to die, then respawn at their original spawning spot (where I placed them in the editor).

Thanks to all who take the time to look at this...

creator of zombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2007 22:08
I THINK Castshadow=x determines if the entity of object is effected by the lighting engine.
Ripple.fx makes the texture on objects move from side to side (can't see what use it would do). In answer to your third question, have you tried setting the maximum spawn to your desired number, then setting spawn when dead to yes. That might work.

-Creator of zombies-

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2007 22:23
Quote: "I THINK Castshadow=x determines if the entity of object is effected by the lighting engine."

I know that, but I tried changing the value, and nothing happened.

I'll try that. Thanks.

Avid
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, from an artistic point of view, it would allow you to make water. You may also be able to modify the shader and have a scrolling texture.
TGPEG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2007 22:14
Just to cut straight to the heart of your questions:

1.)Castshadow= x is a setting for wether a dynamic entity will cast a shadow or not (this doesn't work very well)

2.)The ripple effect takes the Normal map (I think) and moves the texture around on it. Apply it to the Aiko character to see what I mean.

3.)Hmmm... Don't know about that one. Never really tried it.

[center]
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2007 23:55
@ TGPEG:

I know what castshadow does, I just don't know how to use it.

TGPEG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2007 17:22
Oh, I see.
Well set the value to 1. Put a dynamic object (eg a crate) into FPSC, put in a light, test the game and watch it crash [at least that's what mine does...!)

[center]
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2007 08:42
Well, then, wouldn't that be considered a bug? Why not check the Bug Report board and see if it's mentioned.

It would be handy if the manual covered in depth file structures like this... after all, they wanted it to be as flexible and ynamic as possible, and we DO need to know these things in order to make use of that flexibility.

The one and only,
~PlystirE~

Dammit, Jim! I'm a programmer not a graphic designer!!!
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2007 02:34
@ TGPEG:

So it doesn't work on static objects? I was under the impression that it kept the entity from casting a static shadow.

TGPEG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2007 10:59
Inspire; I don't know. My computer crashes before I get chance to have a look...

[center]
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2007 22:37
Haha, that must suck...when I messed around with it, nothing happened at all, so I'm not sure either.

Luke314pi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2007 22:47
Quote: "3. How do I make it so when one enemy dies, another one respawns? When I mess with their lives tab, when they die, they get right back up and fight some more. I need them to die, then respawn at their original spawning spot (where I placed them in the editor)."

The field you want to change is the Maximum Spawn field. If you set this to 5, for example, and Number to Spawn, Max at any time, and Lives to 1, the entity will respawn at its original location after it is killed, and it will do this 4 times.

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2007 22:57
Quote: "The field you want to change is the Maximum Spawn field. If you set this to 5, for example, and Number to Spawn, Max at any time, and Lives to 1, the entity will respawn at its original location after it is killed, and it will do this 4 times."

Testing now. If it works, you will be my hero, and I will cyber-hug you.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-10 03:33:33
Your offset time is: 2024-10-10 03:33:33