Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Tricks and Traps request for fpsc

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2007 11:55 Edited at: 22nd Oct 2007 13:53
Here is an idea I think would be massively popular if it was made.
Tricks and Traps for fpsc, imagine all the possibilities.

Here is my request, or suggestion that would really add to fpsc.
Imagine a few of these in your games.

Laser beams that bar entry.
Laser beams that take health on touch.
Panning lasers that move about, cutting whatever they touch.
Pressure plates that activate traps, traps that need you to step on a sequence of floor plates.
Automated guns.
Hidden guns coming up through the floor.
Arrows being shot from wall slits.
Lasers that shoot in sequence to areas, so you have to learn where they will strike.
Chainsaws or rotor blades that move in a sequence, put them on walls or on floors.
Have them be easily programmed, like 100 units up, 200 units left, or set to looping or complete a sequence and then do it backwards.
Moving platforms one can program movement for using the same system, one can then make platformers that one has to learn the sequence to navigate.
Swinging blades or spiked ceilings or walls that crush, units with swirling blades that spin around, so one has to avoid that area, or if they moved slower time ones movement to get past them.
Cages or walls that trap the player.
Heavy blocks or spiked pates that move up and down, one has to time running under them.

I believe that a trap pack, modern and ancient traps, would be the most popular pack we could have, It would really add to what fpsc could do to gameplay to have great traps made available, Im sure it would be the most popular pack of all fpsc packs, who wouldn't want it, there's only so much you can do with shooting enemy characters, tricks and traps would add so many game play ideas to the game, I defiantly think it would easily be the most popular item one could do with fpsc by far, if someone in the community could come up with these kind of things for fpsc.

fpsc game KILL TV update 16 Oct.http://www.avantivita.com/killtv.html
Ross tra damus
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2007 12:19
fallen one

Great iadea, I would love to see a Pack that is dedicated to 'traps & puzzles' and am sure that this would become a very popular Pack.

I'm sure that a lot of what you would like to see can be acheived already from what I have seen on the Forum here.

God, I wish I could do scripting.
Storm 6000
Years of Service
User Offline
Ross tra damus, im pretty good at scripting if you could do the art side I would be willing to help with the scripting side, it sounds like a fun idea

Thanks
Adam
Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Why don't us 3 come to together! I'll make scenery, Ross makes the segments and Storm 6000 scripts them? That'll be awesome!

Storm 6000
Years of Service
User Offline
sure sounds good to me, will just to have to wait and see what ross thinks

Thanks
Adam
Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Well then do you have MSN? Then we can keep updated on things.

Storm 6000
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2007 15:31 Edited at: 22nd Oct 2007 15:34
yes not a problem, but i dnt really want to post it on the forums, do you have an email address I could send it to?

Thanks
Adam
Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2007 15:32 Edited at: 8th Nov 2007 21:39
STOP LOOKING SPIDERBOTS AND STUFF LEAVE ME ALONE! Sorry bout that.

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2007 17:50
Fallen one. Nice.
I'm gonna see where I can get with this. Turrets are pretty annoying to do, what with having to weild an invisible weapon and all.
I'm not sure about collision detection on an animated floor chainsaw either, but I'll look into it. Would make a pretty awesome pack eh!?

Cheese Cake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2007 17:55
That would be one of the nicest packs around.
And i know that i would buy this for sure when it is available.

Cheers,
Cheese Cake.

Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
@Butterfingers: Do you want to help me and Storm 6000 make them as we already started on it.

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2007 17:58
Quote: "Butterfingers: Do you want to help me and Storm 6000 make them as we already started on it."

That'd be cool dude, but I'm notoriously un-reliable. I'm not even sure if I'll get started any time soon. It'll be cool to see what we each come up with tho right?

fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2007 18:01
Sure whould, I think it would be the most popular pack ever, its like Half Life 1, the game was great because of all the scripted sequences, that and the marine AI was also great, but it was leagues ahead of all other games because of the gameplay, if tricks and traps was done for fpsc, well people have to have it, its essential, packs of guns are an option, you may want a different gun or whatever, or items, or art assets, or whatever, but traps and the likes are essential, well they are if you want a good game, unless your game is just shooting stuff, you have to have it to make anything cool, plus they fit across the whole user base of fpsc, whatever game they are really useful, so I think it would be massively popular, you would have to mad not to want it.

Avid
Years of Service
User Offline
I've been planning to include some hl1 like puzzles and situations, to make up for the lack of AI. If any of you remember the level 'surface tension', the purpose of it was to send you round a huge map and back to where you started from, just to press a button in some booth you see right when you get there. It's a sure fire way to annoy the players, but at the same time make them marvel at you amazing map planning skills
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Laser beams that bar entry.
Laser beams that take health on touch."

Just create your own decals for this.
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=95544&b=24

Ross tra damus
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2007 00:38
Deathead

I have sent you an e-mail.

All the best of luck.

Cheers

Ross
fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2007 01:16
Quote: "Just create your own decals for this."

Thast pretty cool, theres the first one, we need to put them all together and make a cool pack.

We should make a list of possible things that one could make. Ill get my thinking hat on.

fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2007 13:11 Edited at: 23rd Oct 2007 16:05
We should break up the coming into a room, see so many enemies shoot them, move onto the next room.
I have a few ideas on this, Ill add the first, in Half Life we had monsters teleport in, how about having a gate they can apear from, say a globe with perhaps an effect coming off it, the monsters apear from the globe, and will keep doing so until the globe is destroyed, well I say keep coming from it, one would have a limit on how many can be there at one time, so they are spawned on a proximity trigger. you can shoot the monsetrs, but unless you destroy the gate, they will keep spawning through it.

I have a few ideas on the same theme as this, for having monsters coming from places the player doesnt expect.

How about a cage that is under the floor, the top of it is the segment, when the player walks into the vacinity, the floor, which is the cage top, raises up from the ground, revealing a cage, inside the cage could be whatever villians you want, the cage door opens and out comes the protaganists, the same idea could also be used for ceilings and also walls.

This way the player is always on their gaurd, you never know if the floor, ceiling or wall are hiding cages/ boxes with a nasy in it.

fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2007 13:13 Edited at: 22nd Mar 2008 05:31
Ill update this, I had a bunch of notes but Ive lost them, damn, Ill try and remember the ideas for traps, Ive heard from Butterfingers that he is making a pack of traps so we have something to look forward to, it will be an awesome pack for sure.

Right Ill try and remember the traps idea that I stupidly lost the notes on.

Electro chargers, could use the model of the dome thing with the 3 rings around it, if you go near these they let out a ring of electric charge, could use one of the decals for that. If you are caught in the ring blast you get damage from the charge, the charge may not be constant, may hear a sound effect, say a voice building charge 3,2,1 then it lets out a charge ring, then it repeats again, voice says, building charge 3,2,1, voice could be anything, any sound wav. Electro chargers could be on constant, like a permanent charge coming out of them, or charging ones, that start when you are in a radius, or letting out charges whether you are in a radius to activate them or not, useful for if we want a player to time runs through a room. So many different ways of doing it. Zone for activation may be under the dome top of the entity, so the player can jump on top of them and jump across a room of them, but if they fall, watch out, you will be stood right next to the charger,
Could have alternate versions, like versions of this to stick on a wall, rather than on the floor, and the charge comes out sideways in one direction, that way a player has to check the walls, being careful where they walk.

Barrier charger.

Electro barrier, have two units (entities) have a charge or barrier zap between them, set the amount this works, like shoot every 3 secs for 2 secs or whatever, have the player have to run between the zaps, could even be on all the time.
Could even be moveable, perhaps we can set the damage and decal it uses, like it could be electricty, or it could be a lazer or fire or whatever, so have it configrable, also we could be able to program it to move, like stick it on a wall and have it move down a corridor, have the movement programable, we could have these moving all about and have the player dodge the deady, fire, lazer, electricity etc.

Lift Spawner

teleporters of Death.
teleoperters that bring monsters, teleporters could be represented with a decal, the telepoerter could ever be destroyable or not, if destroyable needs a hit box, or could exist a certain amount of time, or a certain amount of enemy spawns, perhaps we can set the amount of spawned monsters, like total amount to spawn, or how many at once, or how many to have in an area zone, so that if some are destroyed more can be spawned, keeping a steady flow, over what time, or perhaps keep doing till teleporter destroyed. Very useful for having an area have a steady stream of monsters, one could hide the teleporters and have the player searching like mad for them to stop the monsters coming into his area.

Evil Things Most Foulhttp://www.avantivitastudios.com/
fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2007 14:13
Movers

barriers and contraptions that move the player to another place, useful for moving the player into another trap.

Barrier set into a wall, moving near it will cause it to pivot out and move the player with it, so it springs out in an arc, it can push the player forward or backward, could even have it on a corner section, the arc could pivot round and shove you unexpectedly around a corner, to face a nasty.

Barrier shaped like image below
_
I I

Set into the floor, if its activated it will pivot upright, and the top bar will be pressed into you, the section will move along a track pushing you to a new place, use full as a pusher to shove the player towards a nasty.

These barriers instead of having a flat barrier to shove the player could also have a version with the barrier bladed, or as a thick barrier covered in spikes or as a blade.

Alternate to the barrier, would be a T shaped block set in the floor, proximity would cause it to pivot up at the player, rather like when one steps on a rake.

Movable floor plate.

Step on the footplate and it sets in motion, taking the player to another place. Could even move up 45* at the end of its journeys end to tip the player into something.
Movable footplates or barriers could be set to move a distance or directions at the game editors discretion. They are great for shunting the player about so they don't know if they are coming or going. Great for controlling a players movement, imaging a floor covered in footplates, just going from one side of the room to the other could be a problem with them moving the player about, perhaps into hazards and other traps, or areas of the level far away from where they are at, forcing them to re play the map from a part they have already done. Could also have false foor plates, if plates had depth, perhaps the plates are just a flat decal, like a flat piece of steel, or perhaps they have depth like a stone slab slightly sticking up.

These items could be set in the walls or floor, with a subtraction shape, or they could just have a decal showing the whole/slot and actually be in the wall. Or we have decals as false traps, that way the player dont know if traps are real or not, only by close examination. Some moving traps may need rails to move along or slots, a simple decal on the wall or floor will do that, we could even place these rails in the map and the player will get nervous wondering if they are rails for traps, kind of keeps them on their toes.

fpsc game KillTV update 22Oct.http://www.avantivita.com/killtv.html
fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2007 14:24 Edited at: 6th Nov 2007 15:44
Pillars of doom.

Pillars, fairly harmless, not always, say blades are hidden in them, walk near the pillars and they start spinning and the blades hidden in the column extend out on a pivot and the whole pillar as now spinning, what those blades don't get you. They don't have to be full pillars, could even be half pillars, the blades don't have to be hidden, could be always on show, could be set to spin when the player is close, or always spinning.

Pillars or plinths with spikes on them, if the player gets to close they fire out like missiles.

Pillars or plinths could also give out electricity rings, or even fire/flames, perhaps always are perhaps when the player is close.

Guns attached to pillars, when off they face the floor, get close and the pivot up, and will shoot what's in line with them, perhaps you can shoot them off the pillars/plinth, leaving a normal plinth/pillar.

Revolving wall
You've seen the films, the wall or floor and wall revolve, you tread on it and it revolves and you are in another room.

Trap door
Stand on it and fall into a room below, or the trap door opens to a steep ramp and you slide down to another level.

Collapsing ceiling/floor
Perhaps it disintegrates into chunks that fall on you. Could also work with a floor.

Moving walls
Disorientate the player, have the walls move about, one could make a maze of these, have the player go back into rooms they have been in, only the walls start moving and now its all different, would be hard to negotiate the room if it had walls that moved about, perhaps set by proximity triggers, or just being in a zone. You could never trust the level, at any time walls may move right in front of you, and bar the way or just plain confuse you.

Walls could also come from the floor, usefull for if you wanted to seal the player in an area, say to fight a boss, when a trigger is made, the walls could go back down and the player can move on, the holes in the floor, for the wall to move through could be represented with decals on the floor.

Moving walls that crush, set them to move and crush whats caught by them, like have spiked walls that move together, great for making a player run though a level as the walls are closing in.

Electric floor plates
Just dont stand on these, just a simple decal that dishes out pain when walked on. Could be moveable by being programed by the editor of the level. plates could have editor options, like give health take health, when to go on, when to go of, if they move etc.

Trap doors that bring stuff.
The foor or wall opens up and a podium comes up bringing something, could be good or bad.

Gas trap.
gas area, walking in this area will bring damage, perhaps void if wearing an item.

Lazer defence barrier.
lazer shield, have this unit create a barrier of defense, see its being made, like powerup, great to hide behind, or protect areas, or bar entry, perhaps used with other items like the trap door that brings stuff, see above.
Could be a simple animation to make this, like two stuts come up, then pull apart, in between them is the barrier, so as the struts open the barrier gets bigger as the struts open out.

Force field.
Force fields that blast the player back, be able to set the distance and damage.

Footplate riddle.
stand on footplates in an order or have so many that have to be trod on, perhaps changing the decal image, red to green, these will then activate something else, like opening a door, or switching something off. Could also be on walls, or perhaps have to be shot at, destroyed to have an action. Shooting them changes the deacal, like a light goes off, or activate message read out is gone.

Question machine unit
Unit that asks a question to open it, already has the script for that, do a search for my threads in scripts.

Black hole.
Vortex, just use a decal, draws the player to it, like sucks them to the thing, or to the centre if its on the floor, in the centre we could place a teleporter or whatever we choose. This is great for gateways, like opening a rift in time and space.

Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
That'll help us out alot.

moogle man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2007 07:45
Well you can atually already make trapdoors and pit you see you get a anti-grav platform change its texture to the floor around it and give it the script of a key so when you step on it you pick it up and go down a pit, i used this method in one of my games, but it does look kind of crap

the wombat watches you all
Seth Black
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2007 19:15
Quote: "Well you can atually already make trapdoors and pit you see you get a anti-grav platform change its texture to the floor around it and give it the script of a key so when you step on it you pick it up and go down a pit, i used this method in one of my games, but it does look kind of crap"

Hmmn. Interesting idea. Why not just use one of the stock floor models for this? It'd fit perfectly, and should look great...

Own It, Or Get Owned...
moogle man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2007 00:03
yeah u could do that aswell, never thought of that

the wombat watches you all
NBKgames
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow this is an awesome Idea
I'd definitely buy this when it's done

fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2007 09:03
Quote: "Wow this is an awesome Idea
I'd definitely buy this when it's done "

Butterfingers is working on it, so thats a pack to look forward to.

Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
@Fallen one: Wah? Me and Storm was making it.

fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2007 09:05
great 2 packs

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2007 18:13
I'd love to have half-life-like enemy spawns, like those zappy-aliens that spawn in an electric decal, thenzap you.

zappity-zappity-zappy-zap-zap

You can tell i'm an old-school gamer, right?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-10 05:24:01
Your offset time is: 2024-10-10 05:24:01