Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Fix adjustable lights?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2007 04:03
My multiplayer arena is almost done. Last but not least I am working on lights. I am not 100% sure what the option "dynamic lighting" does. Does it make lights switchable in single player? Or more?

I`ve added some lights, edited colors and cones. With "," and "." the lights can be adjusted, from very light to complete darkness. There are segments, some lights...the segments aren't dark by default but normally lit. The lights are lit in my selected color. Now my question:

How do I make areas without lights dark and only areas with light markers brighter, in different colors? I can do this in game with , and . keys...but is there a way to fix them? That I adjust them with these keys and the settings are saved? AND the lights cannot be adjusted with the keys then? (the keys should be locked)

I really have problems with creating a good atmosphere.

coming soon...
Leander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2007 01:10 Edited at: 29th Oct 2007 01:51
I read Nickydude's PDF and found something on lights. Thanks.

What I still don't understand is that my fps drop to 8! when I add one light per room. And no, I am not talking about light markers but just a static light entity in multiplayer mode. A lamp is small...without a lamp per room I have 20 FPS in editor mode, afterwards I have 8?!? Why is that?

EDIT Here is a screenshot. I also used debug information. What are those yellow boxes? The FPS are at 7. Without debug they are at 8. I still don't think that one light entity per room can slow things down.

coming soon...
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2007 22:36
Well, that all depends on how many rooms with lights you have, I suppose.

The yellow boxes you see track the player's walking trail. It's mainly for NPCs to use for following the player.

Also, the quality settings you give (namely, "full light mapping") can have a huge effect on the framerate after you put lights in. Some computers are just not built to handle these things. Shaders with lights also have an effect on the framerate.

It could be a number of things that cause your framerate to drop when you put lights in.

The one and only,
~PlystirE~

Dammit, Jim! I'm a programmer not a graphic designer!!!

FPSC Scripting Tutorials - http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=116527&b=23
Leander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2007 22:58
I don't use shaders or full light mapping.
I saved my arena under another name...reloaded it and then the lag was gone. Strange.

coming soon...
TGPEG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2007 23:21
If you're on 1.07, which I assume you are, then the editor looks for discrepancies in the map when it is saved, meaning that any little parts that cause lag are removed during the save. This is why I have a V0.1, a V0.2 of every level I make. I think this is why, it might not be, but it seems logical.

[center]
Leander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2007 23:23
Could somebody please tell me how to prevent the user from changing the brightness with the "," and "." keys?

coming soon...
Will da gamr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2007 05:39
You can use dyamic lights to make blinking lights.

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2007 09:20
Quote: "Could somebody please tell me how to prevent the user from changing the brightness with the "," and "." keys?
"

Fear not, my friend. This is merely a "Test Game only" deal. Once you build the game, all the debug controls will be gone.

This includes other debug controls like pressing "n" or "m" to control collision in the level.

The one and only,
~PlystirE~

Storm 6000
Years of Service
User Offline
Unless they have fixed it in one of the later updates thats not true , and . still change ambience

Thanks
Adam
Leander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2007 16:04
Yes, the ambience changes. As a matter of fairness the keys shouldn't be used. My arena should have some dark areas. If a player makes the ambience brighter he has an advantage over others. He clearly sees them while although it should be exciting for all players to walk through dark corridors.

coming soon...
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 3rd Nov 2007 00:06 Edited at: 3rd Nov 2007 00:06
A simple script will keep the ambience where you want it. You can attach it to any dynamic object. In the script set the ambience to what you want using the ambience= statement.

Best.

I'm sorry, my answers are limited. You must ask the right question.

Leander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2007 01:01
There are not many dynamic objects in multiplayer mode, only players, ammo, weapons and health.

Can I modify healthpickup.fpi with the ambience-line? Or is it only run when the player picks up some health?
Of course it should be run at the start of the game.

coming soon...
Leander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2007 02:53 Edited at: 3rd Nov 2007 03:05
I included the line ambience=10,ambience red= etc. in healthpickup.fpi but it didn´t work.

What ambience setting is really dark? 10 is a good setting as I read. On my computer 10 is way too dark. You don´t see anything. But on my girlfriend´s computer 5 is not as dark as I want it to be.

How dark is a normal monitor? Mine is dark and I would like to know if my girlfriend´s monitor is normal or really bright? It is a Samsung Syncmaster 710 MP, flat and can be used for PC, TV etc.

What ambience setting should I use? In an area with bunker walls and without lights it should not be pitch black but still very dark. You should only see some silhouette.

coming soon...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-10 05:20:15
Your offset time is: 2024-10-10 05:20:15