Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / walls from flat sheets ?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2007 23:52
Would building walls from flat sheets (flat plane poly, no depth to it) be OK do you think, or would it mess things up.

fpsc game KillTV update 22Oct.http://www.avantivita.com/killtv.html
Cheese Cake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2007 23:54
Its okey.

It saves framerate...as i use it myself to...
And you can create large areas with them...

Cheers,
Cheese Cake.

Ross tra damus
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2007 00:06
Fallen One

Flat walls are great for frame rates.
At the moment that is all I use and its Ok as long as you can create textures with some depth to them. Plus they are good when using transparency in your textures.

All the best of luck.
fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2007 01:25 Edited at: 31st Oct 2007 02:15
Great, I can use these for big background images for entities, and use them with masks for segments, thanks guys

Another question, does light effect masked images, like if we have a sheet with a grill with gaps in, the gaps are an alpha channel, can a light shine through it and cast the shadow of the grill, or does the sheet just block all light, also, can oe shoot through the alpha part, so one can make say a fence and shoot a rocket through the fences alpha parts in the mask.

Ross tra damus
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2007 03:24
As far as I know it's a 'NO' to both of your other questions.

To get those effects you would have to model the segments.

All the best of luck
SamHH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2007 04:01
Fallen one: No, because the mesh is still there.

Ice Cube
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2007 05:20
Quote: "Flat walls are great for frame rates."

Yes, they are. I use them as much as possible too.

Quote: "also, can oe shoot through the alpha part, so one can make say a fence and shoot a rocket through the fences alpha parts in the mask."

I've tried that before, but the rocket doesn't go though the wall and just crashes/explodes.

Cheese Cake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2007 14:20
Nope it cant get through alpha mapped parts...

If you want that, than your best luck is...making a custom mesh....

Cheers,
Cheese Cake.

fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2007 15:34 Edited at: 11th Nov 2007 16:51
Just tried making the level walls from sheets, it played up in game, it had walls disapering and re apearing, could be becuase the collision is set to box rather than poly, I use the segment editor from TGC by the way. Ill keep fidling.
Right, tested again, this time setting the segment as P for poly, still the same, you have sheets popping in and out of view, for me segments made from sheets dont work, it has issues with them disapearing and reapearing, has anyone really got segment working from sheets, I mean a segment, not importing a whole level from another prog into the segment editor as I know CheeseCake has done, I mean rather than blocks we have segments made from 4 flat sheets as the walls of the segment.

Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2007 18:38
I've had success, but I find I have to use the same fpe over and over again and sometimes I still get walls on one side not showing up (usually the walls to the far right). I remedy this by placeing one floor on the otherside of the wall even if noone will ever see it. This works even if a whole line of walls is disappearing; just place 1. Hope that helped.

fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2007 02:33
My problem is that when I go near them, they sometimes disappear, well a lot of the time, I don't know how to fix this one at all.

fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2007 13:14
Had a look at things, I think the problem is that parts of the texture has transparent parts, I think that may be the problem. Im not sure if fpsc does not like transparent textures that are done through an alpha map in the diffuse tex.

Avid
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok, I've had problems with making single plane walls. Mostly to do with me losing walls as you've mentioned. The game has trouble working out the vis-clipping for single sided polygons, so you need to have entities double sided. TBH, you don't need to bother with this. The engine removes whatever is on the side of a wall anyway, try looking in the wireframe mode.
fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2007 23:36 Edited at: 12th Nov 2007 23:39
it isnt an entity, its a segment, its a flat sheet with 2 sides.
when I didnt cut the segment into the floor, but had it resting on the floor, then it didnt disappear, I think, I perhaps need to test more to find out fully, my main concern now is getting segments with transparency, alpha channels dont work, well only 1 bit ones, so simple mask, not transparent. If I cant get that, then the segments using sheets is a non starter.

TGPEG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2007 23:47
Try painting the bits where the alpha channels are black on the texture.

If you want an example, get an overlay (blood is good) and put a light next to it, then change your preferences to Full Light Mapping (if it isn't already) then look at the shadow cast by the overlay. Apply the same principle to your mesh with the texture.

[center]
fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2007 01:09 Edited at: 13th Nov 2007 01:10
Quote: "Try painting the bits where the alpha channels are black on the texture."

I know how to make an alpha.

Quote: "If you want an example, get an overlay (blood is good) and put a light next to it, then change your preferences to Full Light Mapping (if it isn't already) then look at the shadow cast by the overlay. Apply the same principle to your mesh with the texture."

No idea what your saying here, your talking about shadows from the blood decal?

I think you have the wrong idea from what Im saying, I want transparency in a tex on a segment, not a 1 bit alpha, transparency, or a mask with graduated mask, not 1 bit, as in colour zero is mask. this is what your adding to ?

Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2007 23:46 Edited at: 13th Nov 2007 23:56
I know what your talking about and have experienced it myself, so I'll pack up my own working ones and as long as you don't need windows or doors in them these work well. There may be the problem i talked about with one wall not showing up, but as I said just put 1 floor (usually to the right of it,behind it) and it shows up fine. Th fpe is set up easily to where you have to change things to your likeing like placement ect. It's made with the asumption that the user knows how to manually alter the fpe. hope this helps more.
mind you they have to be placed in wall mode and no floor model is associated with it.

Attachments

Login to view attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-10 05:16:47
Your offset time is: 2024-10-10 05:16:47