Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Break windows with a chair

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2007 16:38
In my training, i comed against an obstacle: i wanted my caracter to start in a room with no guns, jut a chair, a locked door and a window.
Obviously, the objective would be to break the window with the chair. But how can i do it? Is it possible?
I can pickup the chair, but when i throw it against th window, it does nothing. Ive put window's force to 1, but it still didn't broke.
So, what do i need to do to make it possible to break?

Thanks for reading.

"When everything seems to be going against you, remember: the airplanes takes off against the wind, not with it."-Henry Ford
Storm 6000
Years of Service
User Offline
health to 1 and physics force damage some stupid high number

Thanks
Adam
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2007 18:36
Peronally I am not sure anything can be done though further ivestigation may return a result.

If I remeber correctly when I pick up a chair (dynamic enity object) and throw it at a windows glass (dynamic entity object) the chair and any other similar entity will pass straight through the window glass with no affect on the glass, whereas both player collision and a bullet fired from a weapon will smash the glass.

Player, weapon and bullet are in FPSC special case entities of course so looking at how they work may not provide any answer to how similar could be applied to other entities without at least resorting to source and then I cannot say with any certainty.

Quite obviously by default some entities are not intended or were never designed to impact with others.

"There are those who said this day would never come - What have they to say Now?"
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2007 18:38
Storm 6000

Thanks for that - do you know if it works and how does the force damage (I presume you obviously mean the chair) then affect any collision interaction with the player?

"There are those who said this day would never come - What have they to say Now?"
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 31st Oct 2007 20:41
I've done it before. It's just a matter of playing with the values, but off the top of my head, I don't remember what they need to be.

Best

I'm sorry, my answers are limited. You must ask the right question.

TGPEG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2007 22:17
I remember doing it a while back, I don't think I had to change any values at all... it just worked for me and I threw a whole desk through it.

[center]
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2007 22:55
Storm 6000 was on the right track here

It's a matter of reducing the window health to 1 and increasing the physics force damage of the entity to be thrown at the window to the required number which is a matter of trial and error depending on the size of the object.

You need to also ensure that the window is set to 'immobile=yes' and 'physics=on'. The window needs to be immobile otherwise it has a tendancy to fall out of the window segment and physics on to ensure that it actually smashes.

The correct effect can be seen at at 0:10 of an earlier demo video I made:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--oc9fZNonU

Nomad
Storm 6000
Years of Service
User Offline
It doesnt effect colision with the player that I have noticed at all its important to note that the chair will fly through with no effect if friction and or wieght are set too low. Attached is a shot of chair and window settings that work for destroying windows have fun

I am not saying these setting can't be tweaked to your liking but they definatly work so its a good starting point because this will work.

@Nomad Soul: I think immobile has to be set to no actully because wouldnt that prevent the player picking it up and throwing it? either way ive tested it with immobile set to no and it works fine.

Thanks
Adam

Attachments

Login to view attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-10 05:17:49
Your offset time is: 2024-10-10 05:17:49