Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Player's Name

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Everyone,

I'm a noob to this forum so if I'm posting my question in the wrong area..please let me know and I will reroute my question.

I want to start creating a game using FPS and wondering if possible to have player's name on top of the player. For example..when the enemy is running..can the player see his name on top of his head?

Thank you for your help in advance..

TC
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2007 00:39
No sorry. In FPSX10 you can have the enemies health above his head, but no name.

And welcome to the forum!

"he is coming!..." - WIP in 'Showcase'
Robert F
User Banned
Posted: 7th Nov 2007 00:42
Yes, Welcome to the forums, but like Nickydude said, i dont think its possible, unless you modeled the words over his head but then you would be able to shoot the words and kill him, dont even know if thats possible either?

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2007 07:36
@Robert F:

If you WERE to model in the name you would not be able to shoot the words, because the collision box for the enemy would not change.

However, you would not be able to get the billboard effect onto JUST the words, meaning you can run around the enemy and see the words backwards. Lol

The one and only,
~PlystirE~

Trister
Years of Service
User Offline
lol thank you for many replies. I think I can live w/o player's name on top of head.

Any suggestions on where to go to learn the program itself besides through the 37 videos given from website?
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2007 09:07
Try my guide.

"he is coming!..." - WIP in 'Showcase'
Seth Black
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2007 19:08
Quote: "If you WERE to model in the name you would not be able to shoot the words, because the collision box for the enemy would not change."

That's entirely true. No problem with collision box changing.

Quote: "However, you would not be able to get the billboard effect onto JUST the words, meaning you can run around the enemy and see the words backwards. Lol"

With careful and creative texturing of the text, it could be possible to simulate a billboard effect. Transparency would be crucial for this effect to work.

If I find the time, I may try to play with this a bit. I'll post anything of interest that I am able to create.

Thanks,

Seth Black

Own It, Or Get Owned...
Robert F
User Banned
Posted: 7th Nov 2007 19:13
Quote: "However, you would not be able to get the billboard effect onto JUST the words, meaning you can run around the enemy and see the words backwards. Lol"

Yeah I never thought of that lol

Urlforce Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "possible to have player's name on top of the player."

In singleplayer or multiplayer?

It's there in multiplayer... (name, not heath)

So, I could mod it singleplayer, if you REALLY need it, otherwise

Seth Black
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2007 22:37 Edited at: 7th Nov 2007 22:41
Trister,

Greetings. I threw together an idea that I had for getting the effect you're after.

I'm happy to report that it can be done...rather easily. It's just a little time consuming.

It's not a perfect solution, but the entity's name can be displayed properly above its head.

This treatment will follow the entity's every movement perfectly.

Front and back are both perfectly orientated, but nothing displays above, below, or when the character turns profile. It could be fixed, but would probably yield a really ugly result.

See attached image.

Thanks,

Seth Black

Own It, Or Get Owned...

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2007 02:01
You know, it's funny... I know a guy who's nicknamed "Juice"

The one and only,
~PlystirE~

Trister
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow I'm greatful for everyone's replies. Now I really have to go out and create a good game.

Nickydude,
I will download your guide and will go through it.

Urlforce Studios,
Thank you but no need to spend time on modding for single player. I'm only a noob so it may take a bit before I understand the process.

Seth Black,
The image is great. It is what I'm looking for. Can you explain to me on how you did that? let see if I can follow along.

Again, thank you so much for everyone's replies. I have an idea of how I want to make my game. I can see this forum is pretty active and I'm glad.
Seth Black
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2007 21:07
Quote: "Seth Black,
The image is great. It is what I'm looking for. Can you explain to me on how you did that? let see if I can follow along."

...I'd be happy to. Check your emailbox. Look for the subject line "Name Box". That'll get you started.

I'm going to be out of town (and away from my computer for a few days). When I return, I'll create a tutorial for you to follow.

Thanks,

Seth Black

Own It, Or Get Owned...
Trister
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you Seth and at the meantime I'll see if I can start creating one.
Fruitless CRUNK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2007 00:22
Hay man welcome, this might be posable in X10 by reconfigering the bar to be a name and when the player is dead then the name will be gone. But to you're queston no, not in X9

If you can't win, cheat. If you can't cheat, quite.
Seth Black
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2007 03:05 Edited at: 9th Nov 2007 03:09
Trister,

You're very welcome. I'm glad that you're going to see if you can get a jump on creating your own character.

Quote: "Hay man welcome, this might be posable in X10 by reconfigering the bar to be a name and when the player is dead then the name will be gone. But to you're queston no, not in X9"

...it can be faked, very convincingly. See the file attached above.

Unlike your treatment of reconfiguring the health bar, in X10, the name will remain unless the entity's corpse fades.

Own It, Or Get Owned...
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2007 18:05
couldn't you run a decal on his head which says his name??

You can tell i'm an old-school gamer, right?
Seth Black
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2007 19:19 Edited at: 10th Nov 2007 19:27
Quote: "couldn't you run a decal on his head which says his name??"

...the thought occurred to me as well.

Generate a decal that sticks to the top of the entity's head, always faces the player and follows the entity around.

I lack the scripting knowledge to make that a reality. Perhaps one of the scripting gurus has a solution...

There's always the problem of running multiple entities with a decal. How's the frame rate gonna hold up?

My treatment has the name intergrated into the model itself. Mutiple instances of models isn't a problem, beyond what the user's system could natively support within FPSC.

Own It, Or Get Owned...
Styloo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2007 19:43
Quote: "See attached image."

Seth Black : Wouhou ! Your screen with a name "Juice" is fine (I like the level design)

Seth Black
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2007 23:35
...thanks for the kind words, Styloo...

Own It, Or Get Owned...
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2007 19:14
Quote: "I lack the scripting knowledge to make that a reality. Perhaps one of the scripting gurus has a solution..."

Not possible. I mean, you could have it follow the character, but that's never perfect, and it would hit parts of the environment. Maybe you could turn collision off...either way, it wouldn't be fantastic if you tried scripting it.

Seth Black
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2007 19:41
...didn't think so.

Own It, Or Get Owned...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-10 05:25:50
Your offset time is: 2024-10-10 05:25:50