Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Blasting Boxes(A game using Box2D)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2007 02:28
We've all being through the same thing. We try to build a platform that extends to space and then the crates and super-dense marbles tip the platform over and we have to start all over again.

This game involves the player to shoot crates, power ups and ball-shaped thing off of a platform that is about to tip over. The game get really hard after a while and soon there will be a continuous stream of crates falling from the sky. The player aims by pointing his mouse at his target then clicking it to shoot. There are two power-ups that either increase the shooting speed or increase the weight of the projectile.

I plan on making the game open source soon but for now, I'll just upload the finished application. Please report any bugs. And if you want, you can change the pictures in the "res" folder to change the games theme.

the answer to life the universe and everything = 42

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Dr Schnitzengruber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2007 02:38
A screenshot of the game towards the beginning

Attachments

Dr Schnitzengruber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2007 02:38
A screenshot of a person(me) losing

Attachments

da power pwnerer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2007 13:19 Edited at: 9th Nov 2007 22:04
I got 3605 on my first try

Great game

-Dan

max score: 10933
total tries: 4

http://Freewebs.com/noobisoft
Come to Noobisoft's website today!
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2007 00:42
I wasn't really sure what was happening at first but I eventually understood it. The balancing beam/rod things at the bottom, are those randomly expanding/contracting? If so I think it would be better if you had powerups that either contracted or expanded them if they fell off the map, this would make players try to keep the bad ones on the beam. Also I found having the source of the fire/gun barrel a bit annoying being fixed in one place, it basically meant the beam would only fall to the right as I can never get any projectile force on the left side. Making the source of the cannons/balls adjustable would make the game much better IMO, if it had an arc limit around the top perhaps and the arrow keys move it across.

Dr Schnitzengruber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2007 04:20
Quote: "are those randomly expanding/contracting?"

no, they correspond to the amount of boxes you have in play(I figured it was the best incentive to clean up after yourself).

Quote: "Also I found having the source of the fire/gun barrel a bit annoying being fixed in one place, it basically meant the beam would only fall to the right as I can never get any projectile force on the left side."

I did a little experiment on that and found that it would be even harder to control if the place it fires from was moved.

Quote: "Making the source of the cannons/balls adjustable would make the game much better IMO"

I could put that into version 1.1 but you won't like it.

Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2007 19:13 Edited at: 10th Nov 2007 19:13
This is really cool. Almost got to 10k. The engine is impressive. I'll have to check it out.

SUPER BADASS SPACESHIP X: WEBSITE
FORUM TOPIC
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2007 21:07 Edited at: 10th Nov 2007 21:08
Awesome! Here is my best score

This is a great idea for a game, my only problem with it is it being so bright when trying to play! It makes your eyes sting!
I will definitely point out this thread to Erin Catto (who actually made the Box2D engine which I wrapped for DBP)

Dr Schnitzengruber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2007 21:53
Quote: "This is a great idea for a game, my only problem with it is it being so bright when trying to play! It makes your eyes sting!"

Look in the res folder and you find background.png, edit it to what you want then play the game again in dimmer mode.

Jeff032
Years of Service
User Offline
5022 first try

Pretty cool

Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2007 03:03 Edited at: 11th Nov 2007 03:19
Still playing it.
Crashed once so far, go this in text file:

and again..

FORUM TOPIC
Dr Schnitzengruber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2007 05:03
@Mr Tank What did you do when it crashed? I'm hoping to fix those errors in 2.0(I renamed 1.1 to 2.0). The error seems strange, I've being playing this game for a while and have never got a crash.

Update:
I almost finished 2.0, I fixed some problems and made the game more intresting. All i have to do is finsih the documentation then i'll upload it.

da power pwnerer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2007 18:34
Max Score So Far: 15492
Try number: 5
out of: 5

Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2007 21:19 Edited at: 12th Nov 2007 21:21
After struggling to get over 10k, i just got to over 60k, and then the game crashed again. . I would have though maybe the number of boxes was too high (about 20k or 16k i think it was), but the crashes before were from much earlier in the game.

FORUM TOPIC
da power pwnerer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2007 23:43
Quote: "i just got to over 60k"

I don't believe that

-Dan

Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2007 00:19 Edited at: 15th Nov 2007 04:36
Check this out.

My strategy was... Intially keep it clear and collect the powerups, and get the platform to tip and slide a little to the left early on (so that the platform goes off the edge of the screen on the left when level). Then balance it a little bit tipped to the left. Don't worry too much about shooting the boxes away- just use the momentum of your balls hitting the platform (or stuff on or near it) to balance it, and the boxes and stuff tend to fall off.

I found it a pain to get past 10k, but after a certain point it becomes easy. Possibly helps that there was quite a lot of slowdown as the game goes on- i was getting about 7fps at the end. Acidentally quit because I though F10 was FRAPS get screenshot, but apparently it quits the game. Wasn't getting any harder.

I wonder- are the object numbers (both DB and the collision system) being reused once the objects fall off the screen? I say this because the solwdown gets worse, but there don't appear to be that many more objects on screen as the game goes on, and the "boxes" statistic keeps increasing.

FORUM TOPIC
Phosphoer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2007 07:19
My best score was less than 10k (don't remember), but my brother got it to 44k on his first try!

P.S. I modified the graphics a bit.

This is a random sentence about squirrels.
DB PROgrammer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2008 10:47
I got like 36k, fun game!

Attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 13:42:28
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 13:42:28