Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Different walls and floors

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2007 12:49
One can put in wal segments one wants, one can put in floors that one wants, but what about having the fllor one chooses against the segment wall one wants, I find it cannot be done, as when one paints in walls, it adds the floor that comes with that wall as well, one can then pick paint floors and try and change the floors that lie next to walls but it will get rid of the wall and replace it with the one on its segment, sure one can change the fllors that dont have walls next to thm, like in the middle of a room, but what about floors that have walls, can this be done, I want to choose the flor I want, mix it with any walls I want.

fpsc game KillTV update 22Oct.http://www.avantivita.com/killtv.html
Storm 6000
Years of Service
User Offline
you should be able to do it by making the segment consist only of a wall or floor then select them in floor or wall mode respectivly and paint. It works for mine anyway.

Thanks
Adam
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2007 13:17
It's always best, when creating a segment, to create a full one (walls, floor, ceiling) and 'extras', like a single wall and single floor / ceiling. This way you can you can build the rooms you want without having to worry that placing a (single) wall won't change the floor next to it.

"he is coming!..." - WIP in 'Showcase'
fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2007 19:46
well I tried making a segment without the floor, it didnt like that, doesnt work, not sure how you make segments for just walls, like if you place one wall in, or all 4 or what you export it out as under the settings in the lower right. So Im at a loss here.

fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2007 11:57
Quote: "you should be able to do it by making the segment consist only of a wall or floor then select them in floor or wall mode respectivly and paint. It works for mine anyway."

By that you mean make segment from 4 walls no floor, export as room from segment editor. Then paint as just floors or walls, no that doesnt work.

Who has done this and it works, not guessing and posting and saying it should work when you have never tried it.

This is a pretty vital question, having different segment floors and walls should be pretty standard.

Storm 6000
Years of Service
User Offline
no not 4 walls 1 and it does work for me have fun

fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2007 21:44
Ive gone back to this and tested, Ive tried every type of wall, one cannot have different floors and walls, if one makes a segment or a wall, or whatever, you have to have the floor that goes with that segment, ie I cant have a metal wall, then say change the floor to tiles, or say a durt floor by just putting a different floor segment in place while Im using the editor, ie on the fly, I have tried using the segment editor to make different walls with no floor in them, then place them in the game editor and try adding different floor in, its a no go, if anyone has a way of changing on the fly different walls in your rooms id like to know about it because I sure cant do it, it seems to me the only way to do this is to make the entire thing in the segment, you cannot pick what floor and what walls you want in the game editor.

If anyone has done it then Id sure like to hear about it.

Evil Things Most Foulhttp://www.avantivita.com/
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2007 15:31
Bumped at the request of author (in a slapped state posts do not register, and therefore the thread won't make it back up).

-Keith

Ross tra damus
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2007 17:47
fallen one
I have done this by using a custom floor segment but the only problem with the custom segment is that the enemy (characters) AI will not be able to walk on them. I think it's the same kind of problem with collision on uneven terrain which has been covered here in the Forum many times before.
However it is possible to use the custom floor segment without it interacting (reacting) with the walls of a room. Using these custom segments also allows you to place any number of different floor segments with different textures in the same room without any bother.
You can add different floors to a room without deleting the walls by using a standard room segment (for the walls)that you want to use then removing the floor from the room in the editor and then replacing that rooms floors with the custom floor segment.

If you have a copy of model Pack 8 'Bonus Pack' you will be able to use one of the FPS files from the'Interchange floors' section as a custom template but if not I have attached a custom FPS file in the download with this post.
Please read the 'read me' text file which is also included in the zip file in the download.

I hope this helps you.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Daniel wright 2311
User Banned
Posted: 22nd Dec 2007 22:07
Hi im new, anyway i played around a little and found if you creat a room large enough, select the floor you want then paint it in the middle of the pre made floor to make a room with the floor you selected and the wall that matches the room that you first placed,then you delete everything around the new room you have made.so first select what wall you want, paint the floor you want in the middle and the wall will allready be placed. then delight the first room around the one you want. voila you have a pre made room.

Dsw
fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2007 00:16
I tested it, and WOW, it really works, thank heavens for the fpsc community.

Thanks Ross tra damus for your help I appreciate it

Ross tra damus
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2007 13:06
I'm glad it is helpful to you but that enemy thing is still a bit of a problem.
*Note* - If you change the 'Y' axis value for this custom segment you can use it as a ceiling segment also which will give you the same abilities and results as the floor segment. This is really cool for creating elaborate ceilings with many texture designs.

All the best of luck.
fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2007 16:54 Edited at: 23rd Dec 2007 17:15
Quote: "fallen one
I have done this by using a custom floor segment but the only problem with the custom segment is that the enemy (characters) AI will not be able to walk on them. I think it's the same kind of problem with collision on uneven terrain which has been covered here in the Forum many times before."

I missed this then, so its a no go, you cant have a game and not have enemies walk on the floor.

Had a play with it, you can make it work by having a proper segment under it, so what you do is dont delete the segment floor of the room, then you place on top the segment of the false floor, then it works and the monsters can walk on it. Im amazed TGC dont sort this, you should be able to change floors and not have the walls change, no one ever thinks of these things either, has it been added to fpsc dx10?

I think placing 2 segment on top of each other will make the games even more resource hungry, it may just be better to make the walls have ever floor varient instead, it sticks the amount of segments up no end, by a factor of segments x the number of floors, thats a lot more segments created.

Ross tra damus
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2007 17:19
It's a real bummer isn't it.
But the custom segments can look good in an exploring type game though.

I have tried time and time again to solve this problem but this segment was the best overall one I could come up with without removing wall segments around them or creating wall segments when you don't want them.

A little more support for problems like this from TGC would be helpful.
I wonder if this issue is also present in FPSCX10?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-10 09:19:33
Your offset time is: 2024-10-10 09:19:33