Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Music & Sound FX / Using copyrighted music

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2007 14:09
I wish to use some music from a CD in my new game, but I am concerned about copyright issues. The game itself will be freeware and only downloadable from the WIP/Program Announcements forum, but what are the issues surrounding the usage of copyrighted music?

Fight the good fight of faith,
Lay hold on Eternal Life.
-1 Timothy 6:12-
Nemesis_0_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2007 16:45
Well your ok, until you get a C&D order that tells you not to do it, in which case you stop distributing it with the music in it... if u arent making money, they are most likely not gonna bother with you.
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2007 20:05 Edited at: 20th Nov 2007 20:19
There are many issues with using copyrighted music.
Mainly the artists intellectual copyright then you have the mechanical copyright,if someone were to say "well I'll just use this guy's code and media in my game and just stop doing it if and when he comes along and notices I have done it",just doesn't wash.
It's bad practice to get into that way of thinking.
If its a small indie band you could always ask permission,most of these are quite happy to have their music on any product,provided they are given credit,if it's a major they may just sue you,small time or not.
Even as stated above it's unlikely they will bother with you,as a musician I wouldn't like it my stuff was ripped off and thats what it is,no matter how you paint it.

It's also against the AUP to post media which isn't yours or you dont have written permission from the author on these forums.

I am amazed at your reply after starting the thread linked below.
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=116348&b=34
Quote: "My ideas.
1. Just because somebody posts a sound effect, or track here to listen to doesn't mean its open, royalty free to use. Ask before taking."

Nemesis_0_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2007 20:23 Edited at: 20th Nov 2007 20:49
Quote: "
I am amazed at your reply after starting the thread linked below.
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=116348&b=34
"

with my post here, I was explaining what could be the result of using copywritten material, not wether or not I condone it.... i dont condone it as my other message suggests...
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Erm! Which part of your post did I mis-read.
Anyway bottom line is dont use copyrighted material you dont have written permission for.

Sonic 91 Software
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2007 22:05
Easy guys, you've both made valid points, let's try not to make this into an argument over what someone may or may not have written. At least I know what the issues are, so as long as I don't distribute a game with the music in, freeware or not I should be OK?

Fight the good fight of faith,
Lay hold on Eternal Life.
-1 Timothy 6:12-
Insert Name Here
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2007 14:21
I don't konw... I wouldn't do it, just to be safe.
But then I'm a paranoid idiot.

Sudoku arts, the rabi and Nancy DrewG
the simulated city
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2007 02:03
yeah, Id steer clear to be honest. There's loads of composers out there that would help you out for spare change to be honest, and you'd get something much more professional

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 06:50:11
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 06:50:11