Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Cemetery Cat + Editor

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2003 22:55 Edited at: 17th Jun 2003 08:59
Hey I haven't worked on Ccat in like a year, but I was just going through my HD and looked at it and the art and remembered how much work I had put in to it. The Night Fall deal reminded me of it.

If I were to start production again I'd want to start over because I know a lot more now and could do a lot of things better, but I really should do something with it.

With the editor you can make

indoor caves/tombs
water with moving rafts you can ride
ghosts & spectres
boxes you can climb on and push around (with the spacebar)
doors that open and close
snow w/footprints, rain, lightning
buildings
torches, lamps
"Stationary Camera" objects for Resident Evil type camera modes
there are exit objects so you can go out one level and straight into another
but most things work in a very specific way and I don't really have time to write docs for it.

Here's the site

http://www.aquaterranorthwest.com/cat

Yarbles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2003 05:04
I tried the demo a long time back and I think your project has alot of commercial viability and the elusive female market appeal.

Please, don't kill this project! I think you are really on to something here. I like it so much I may put a little homage to in the cemetary in Axes of Evil.. I haven't made up my mind yet, but I guess you'll have to wait for the demo to find out!

Keep the fire burning!

please visit [href]www.realitytwin.com[/href]
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2003 05:32
OMG its yarbles!

Dude this project sounds cool you should keep it up

RPGamer

Current Project: Eternal Destiny
Questions? Comments? Suggestions? Go to the Eternal Destiny Forum!
ZomBfied
Years of Service
User Offline
Somebody try the editor! This demo has more to it than the last one I put out. Load the "1.lvl" level and plop some ghosts and spectres (dark ghosts) down on top of some graves, save it and play. (skeletons don't work btw)

Yarbles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2003 01:20
I checked out the new demo and editor...

The good stuff:
-Overall, the art direction and music are awesome!
-I Loved the environmental effect like rain and falling leaves.
-The character models are perfect.
-The non-violent, puzzle based approach to gameplay is again perfect.

Some constructive critism (I hope) of the game engine:
-I have to say, I kinda miss the roses collection from the old demo.
-The camera shifts from chase mode to stationary mode are a bit disorienting.
-Maybe I missed something about the control but I got stuck in the water and had no way to crawl or jump back out.
-The tile collision used for the game objects is kinda clumsy.

As for the editor, it is very clean and functional, but some context sensitive help would really help new users like me to learn to use it.

If you spent some time on it, you could quite easily find a publisher for this game. It's already better than 90% of the dreck published by start-ups and, again, I think it has some real commercial potential!

Congrats on a great game concept!

please visit [href]www.realitytwin.com[/href]
medwayman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2003 07:11
I remember this game. I thought it was great when I first played it.
Are you sure that’s the correct link? I want to d/l it but can’t find where.

Asteroids name: Snaggletooth
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2003 17:52
i can remeber playing the game b4 but it always crashed. anyways i tried it now and it worked fine it's a cool game, nice concept, lovely editor, just displays everything neatly. I had the same problem with emerging from the water once i fell in.

to live is to suffer, to survive, well, thats to find meaning in the sufferening.....
medwayman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2003 22:01
Ok the link is working for me now. I swear I wasn’t going mad - it linked to some Psycho-something website where the only option was an email link. Anyway, new problem – I can’t select any options or start the game. I can move the cat-cursor but after trying every key on the keyboard I have now come to the conclusion that I am in fact going mad.

I played with the editor and I think it’s very nice. The only thing it’s lacking is, as Yarbles said, a simple help system. But I’m sure this is something you would include in a planned release.

Well, I couldn’t play the game but as I said I have played it before and I thought it was great back then, so if you’re looking for encouragement to resurrect (no pun intended) this game – then I say go for it.

Great stuff

medwayman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2003 22:27
Ok I got it working now *feels silly*
I kept falling through the snow as if it were water, so only the footprints were visible on the snow – no cat.
Visually, it’s better than I remember it to be. You should definitely pursue this game.

Cheers

ZomBfied
Years of Service
User Offline
There's snow? If you add snow to a level where there's water that's what happens...

Here's a little level making info:
the levels are saved by numbers and mapped out like so:

and so on so if you have a level called "1.lvl" and theres an exit south it will lead you to "6.lvl" from 6 it would go to 11 and so on. The east exit from level 1 would take you to "2.lvl" so you can have a grid of 5x(whatever).

In the editor there are different sections:

outside
inside
entities
waypoints

You edit the map by clicking on one of the elements to the right and then clicking somewhere on the grid to place that element. Right clicking on the grid removes the element & entitiy if there is one in that grid square.

Outside has your fences, water, graves (check out the one with a question mark for quick random gravestone placing) trees, etc.

Inside has blocks with floor/ceilings on them and all your building blocks for inside and for buildings/caves etc.

Entities are things that don't come with their own ground (ie grass or building floor) but are placed "on top" of what's there. to place an entity you should first have some non-entity thing there. like before you put a lamp or a torch you should put a grass element or something.

some entities include ghosts, spectres, blocks (the smaller looking crate), rafts, lamps, torches, camera objects, statues, Cat Start roses, and doors.

Waypoints are things that control certain entities or control the game. These include arrows and exits.

Entities explained:

Cat Start: You must place one of these somewhere in "1.lvl" In the editor it looks like a cat face.

Ghosts: the white looking ghosts follow the waypoints down you put for them. They have no AI and just follow the pattern of waypoints they come across.

Roses: Do not place more roses than you have gravestones or ghosts. For every rose there should be a ghost. When the cat picks up the rose and places it on it's proper grave, a ghost will go to the grave and rest in peace. It's the whole idea of the game.

Spectres: These act like ghosts in the classic mario games. When the cat is looking away, they creep towards the cat, when he looks at them they stop. They never rest in peace.

Doors: they open and close when the cat approaches. the one on the left is the North-South door and the one on the right is the east-west door.

Boxes: The box can be climbed on to get places the cat couldn't normally get to. It can also be pushed by the cat using the spacebar.

Rafts: Rafts are used in water for transportation duh! They remain still until the cat is on them, then they move according to waypoints.

Waypoints:

Arrows: Place these in the squares directly 1 square north of where you want them to be. if you place a ghost, and you want him to start moving east, then place the right arrow in the square just north of (above) him. All waypoints appear 1 square south of where you put them so remember this. Place other waypoints such that the ghost can get back to the first one or he'll just keep moving forever. It works the same for rafts.

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2003 20:57
Z. you have captured the cats essence so well and this is one program
that even superseeds my DB intereaction time.

I hope you dont fully stop working on it, dbp isnt even finished,perhaps when it settles down a port?

I showed my gf and she loved the cat especially the eyes and movement.

ZomBfied
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks. I dare somebody to make a level and send it to me...

Hexagram
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2003 15:29
this is probably a stupid post, but I can't get the game running. I just see the intro (which is cool btw) and it goes to the menu screen but can't go any further. How long did it take you to make the intro?

Home is where the heart is, on the bus! (-gj Gillete Cavalcade of sports)
ZomBfied
Years of Service
User Offline
I didn't give very good instructions on how to get into the game... You use the ctrl key on RESUME. The menu is an abandoned work in progress that took too long for what it does. It would take me about an hour to do it now.

ZomBfied
Years of Service
User Offline
Nobody wants to make a level? They're easy and fun for the whole family!

Doublecrosser
Years of Service
User Offline
screens look sweet i'm download it right now 50 min download with 56k but i can't wait!

Gone Fishing!
members.aol.com/Erik9081/gonefishing.zip
UberTuba
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2003 01:26
can u jump in this game?

the artist formally known as darkfluff
ZomBfied
Years of Service
User Offline
No but you can climb on some things.

sgt_slamy
Years of Service
User Offline
I was just thinking about this game yesterday Your old site for it is still up you know, with the undead thieter and all that. Hope you continue the project!

Pricey
Years of Service
User Offline
runs too slow on my 500 mhz but v.cool!

My programs don't crash... your computer does

http://johnsgamesuk.topcities.com
Crappy Coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2003 16:32
OMG sgt_slammy, ZomBfied, Yarbles... all the familiar names are here

i loved this game, collecting the roses and putting them by the graves! i spent about 6 months trying to find the demo, found the old site but to my dissapointment the zip wasn't there anymore

im downloading the exe now, cant wait to try it! are you gonna carry on with this project? i think it is amazing (so good that i was planning on making a tribute hehe)

i hope you dont drop this game, it is one of the most original games ive played
Crappy Coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2003 16:34
p.s u probably wont rememember me but im Crappycoder
ZomBfied
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey how's it going... Yeah Ccat uses a tile based editor which is actually really cool. Makes levels easy, but not as much variety and detail as I can have now. I just wish I would finish the game just so I can make Cemetery Cat 2...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 01:33:44
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 01:33:44