Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / How do I make Games?????

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,
I have done all the tutorials except the dark invaders one. It just jumps from the basics to advanced. Does Anyone know a good tutorial for making games.

Oh, and when you load a .DBO file how do you detect collision. Please don\\\'t just give code, explain it.

Thanks!!!
Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2007 00:38
That's a very vague question. You're going to have a hard time just learning to make games, because to be able to make games you have to learn first about actual programming, then about components that get put together to make a full game.

If you're using DGDK, search google for a tutorial on C++, and learn how to basically use it.

Once you can do that, do some tutorials here and there, not tutorials that are about making games, but about more focused things, such as collision detection.

Once you know what you're talking about, feel free to ask questions, but not so vast, such as this one.

"It's like floating a boat on a liquid that I don't know, but I'm quite happy to drink it if I'm thirsty enough" - Me being a good programmer but sucking at computers
Niels Henriksen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2007 09:04
If you want to make games without failing then you need to learn to use pen and paper.

First of all descripe your game on paper with a lot of muck-ups. Each step need to be descriped before you can start to code.

To make a game now is not just to sit in front of the keyboard and start typing....

Niels Henriksen
Working on a (MMO)RPG right now in LightEngine
http://noggs.netopcom.dk/forum/default.asp - Forum for the game
dbGamerX
Years of Service
User Offline
What Zotoaster and Niels Henriksen said is true. You need to combine your brain, pen and paper (along with your coding skills) to make a game.

As far as I know, Dark GDK doesn't have any AI. That means whatever you make with it isn't exactly a "game" per say (unless you're making a puzzle game or something). It's more of a graphics engine.

If I heard correct, Microsoft stated in their VC++ 2008 Express page two things:
Quote: "
Game Development Libraries for GDK
-EZ-Rotate helps eliminate complicated math from your projects
-Dark Physics provides a sophisticated physics engine (coming soon)
-Dark AI lets you easily add intelligent behavior into your games (coming soon) "

I bolded the text that got me. My guess is that Microsoft will release Dark AI and Dark Physics for Dark GDK.

You have to examine the API and actually try out functions by yourself. Practice makes you learn. That's how I'm learning Dark GDK. You'll hit some bumps on the road, but that's OK. That's what the forum is for

dbPrint ( "Sig" );
A1 Programmer
Years of Service
User Offline
Just because a game doesn't have AI, doesn't mean it isn't exactly a game.
Cooldude
Years of Service
User Offline
I did a couple of tutorials on C++, got a couple books from the library and I know the basics now. but i'm stuck on the terrain tutorial for Dark GDK. Can anyone like tell me how it works???
Raigne
Years of Service
User Offline
Cooldude,
Why don't you start off with 2D then, and get a tetris clone working? Then once you finished that then make a pacman or something similar.

You can't just start programming, and make a kick ass game. Its takes time and practice, and as the others said pen and paper or (Microsoft Word) is one of your most useful tools in the design process (the part before the programming). Well good luck and enjoy.
Cooldude
Years of Service
User Offline
Raigne,

I think that i'll take your advice and start out 2d. I like how you stated it.

Quote: "You can't just start programming, and make a kick ass game. Its takes time and practice"

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 05:22:44
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 05:22:44