Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Problems installing Visual Studio 2008 express

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2007 01:50
Hey,

I recently downloaded and started to install Visual Studio 2008 express (the c++ version). During the installation it seemed to stop on step 2 (so it had finished step 1, .net framework 3.1 i think), it had sat there for maybe 10 minutes...

so... i stopped it (even worse, i killed the process).

in retrospect it seems like it's a 1.1 GB program and it should take a while to install... but anyway...

now when i try to install, it hangs up on step 1 and says it can't install (i'm assuming this is because it already did step 1 before i killed it)...

any ideas?

One man, one lawnmower, plenty of angry groundhogs.
hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2007 02:29
Not much help, but when I installed it, it was hung on installing the .net framework for quite a while, but I just let it run its course. It took quite a while, but it did eventually get installed.

Is there anything in add/remove programs that you can uninstall? Failing that, it might be down to removing some entries in the registry. You might want to search MS for any tips on what to do.

CodeSurge
Version 1.0 finally released! Code your DBP projects in style. (And save the kittens!)
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2007 02:32 Edited at: 27th Nov 2007 03:10
yeah, i looked in add remove programs, programs folder... etc

i also ran CCleaner on the registry... but no luck... i'm currently installing it on my desktop, and i will let it take as long as it needs

[edit] it installed fine on my desktop (because i left it alone heh)... i will try copying over the folder from my desktop to the lappy. (unconventional i know but sometimes it works).

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2007 00:05 Edited at: 28th Nov 2007 00:11
well, after some system updates i tried again and it seems to be working (going really stinkin slow but working)...

one question... if i have vista on this computer, i won't need anything more than the DirectX 9 SDK will i?

[edit] w00t done installing it... just have to put the SDK and GDK and LDK on here now (okay maybe not that last one i just got caught up in all the DKs...)

n008
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2007 02:01
Just go to your documents, find VS Express, nuke the directory, go to program files, locate the proper director, nuke that one. Reinstall.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 05:29:03
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 05:29:03